Know about drones? Lifting capability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I don't know anything about drones but I'm thinking about getting one so I can get a rope over my house or over a tree. Maybe even a specific limb in a big tree if that is realistic. The idea would be to lift a small kevlar string over the thing and then use that to pull a climbing rope later on -manually. I don't plan on using it beyond that for the time being. A camera would be nice so I can check my roof condition, though. So, not for racing, serious camera work or altitude work. Never piloted one, so better not something that can't handle a rough landing or newbie pilot error, I guess. I'm guessing a drop mechanism with a weight may be better than contemplating landing with the string still attached, but maybe that's just too complicated.

Question is: Is that a realistic goal as far as lifting power, handling etc? If so, any specific recommendation?

added: I'm only at 500' elevation, if that matters...

Last edited:
I think I'll skip the kite approach. Not so great for treework, I think, cuz some trees eat kites, if I remember my Sunday comics correctly... :)

I don't know anything about drones but I'm thinking about getting one so I can get a rope over my house or over a tree. Maybe even a specific limb in a big tree if that is realistic. The idea would be to lift a small kevlar string over the thing and then use that to pull a climbing rope later on -manually. I don't plan on using it beyond that for the time being. A camera would be nice so I can check my roof condition, though. So, not for racing, serious camera work or altitude work. Never piloted one, so better not something that can't handle a rough landing or newbie pilot error, I guess. I'm guessing a drop mechanism with a weight may be better than contemplating landing with the string still attached, but maybe that's just too complicated.

Question is: Is that a realistic goal as far as lifting power, handling etc? If so, any specific recommendation?

added: I'm only at 500' elevation, if that matters...
For getting a rope over a tree limb, it seems easier to use an arborist throw rope type of setup, or a sling shot, braided fishing line, and a fishing weight. Once your drone is dangling by a string on a high tree limb, you're going to need to employ one of the arborist techniques anyway, to retrieve your drone. :)

For getting a rope over a tree limb, it seems easier to use an arborist throw rope type of setup, or a sling shot, braided fishing line, and a fishing weight. Once your drone is dangling by a string on a high tree limb, you're going to need to employ one of the arborist techniques anyway, to retrieve your drone. :)

Yea well, I have done a bit of that. I found that I achieved more accurate results by turning my back to the tree, closing my eyes and throwing the dang thing over my shoulder.... :)

OTOH, I have to say, though, that I had great fun building a compressed air thrower for a leadshot bag. Unfortunately, I can't take a chance with that on the roof.

Crossbow, uh? Hmmm... That's a thought.... I wonder if my wife could catch the arrow on the other side of the house so it doesn't damage anything.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom