Kid's treehouse/clubhouse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm gearing up to build the kid's a treehouse/clubhouse; wife wanted to get a playset but for the money I think I'd rather do a clubhouse type setup instead(seems like as they get older they'd enjoy that more). Anybody got any tips, warnings, must-have features, features never used, etc? In my head I'm picturing two "towers" with a bridge connecting the two with swings under the bridge. One tower will be enclosed and pretty much weatherproof and the other will be mostly open with some playset type stuff(climbing wall, slide, etc).

nothing really useful to offer, but please do a build thread, complete with dimensions and all...:cheers:

I'm gearing up to build the kid's a treehouse/clubhouse; wife wanted to get a playset but for the money I think I'd rather do a clubhouse type setup instead(seems like as they get older they'd enjoy that more). Anybody got any tips, warnings, must-have features, features never used, etc? In my head I'm picturing two "towers" with a bridge connecting the two with swings under the bridge. One tower will be enclosed and pretty much weatherproof and the other will be mostly open with some playset type stuff(climbing wall, slide, etc).

Well, made any progress on the design ideas? :D

Haha, not really, been to busy with christmas and such. Still got the same basic idea rolling around in my head though.

Not the best picture, but it is all I could find, since it predates our digital photos
At our previous house, I built a play ground for the kids when they were small (around '94 as I recall). It had the usual features; swings, slide, monkey bars and tire swing; but also included a suspension bridge to the 'club house' plus a gang plank when the kids did not feel like the taking the bridge. It was my own design (if you want to call it that) and it worked out pretty well. The kids enjoyed it but never used it that much since my wife would not allow them out much (she likes a clean and tidy household ... and dirty kids frequently did not fit in with what she would allow).

Good luck with building a dream escape for your kids.

Picture 57.jpg

Your idea sounds great, I really like the bridge idea.
I may borrow it when I build their next one.

As far as what to include and not... while my kids will forget about an expensive inside toy, I have yet to encounter a piece of playground equipment they didn't enjoy.

If your any good with metal work, one thing we have at a local park that they love is monkey bars, but they are all different shapes and styles, not just bars. might be a cool/different way to access one of the towers. Other than that swings and some private kid space should keep them away from video games and TV for hours :)

also if you have a dog one thing my dad did was build out the bottom section of mine as a kid and it became the dog house. Just another idea to be a little different.

also if you have a dog one thing my dad did was build out the bottom section of mine as a kid and it became the dog house. Just another idea to be a little different.

Thanks for the pic and ideas. I asked my 7 year daughter what's important to her and she said "bars". Any kind of bars that allow her to spin, climb, balance - basically all kinds of ways to fall down and get hurt :bang:

I have to use metal due, otherwise, any wood structure won't last more than a couple of years up here. So, I like her bar idea. I'll try to incorporate a swinging bridge and a climbing wall in there some way. Also, looking for ideas on how I can place a drinking fountain near the playground.

Would you mind emailing your pic? I'm not able to make it bigger by clicking on it. alia176 at yahoo

Ha--I need to build a doghouse anyway! Great idea. I've thought about a suspension bridge too, wasn't sure if that'd be a pain or not.
I must say this is a project I could blow some cash on if not careful---I think I'll have as much fun as they will! Keeping them outside and using their imagination is my goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom