Key is Not Detected - 2011 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsaint

Don't Assume I Know The Basics...
SILVER Star
Threads
Just recently, starting getting the below notification in my 2011. Never have any trouble unlocking the doors, or starting the truck. And i have changed batteries and moved to the other key fob, no luck.

This only happens when a door is opened while the truck is running...like when i drop my daughter off at school. The minute her door or the driver door is opened this pops up. Goes away after about 30 seconds.

Anyone run into anything like this?

IMG_7897.jpg

My 2013 will do it occasionally if the key is sitting in the little rubber pad under the ashtray. New batteries. No other positions seem to trigger the error.. and mine never seems to last 30 seconds.

I've moved the key all over, and it happens all the same. It's fine for day to day i guess, but i'm worried about being in the back country and not being able to start the truck one morning...

Consult the manual on the backup start procedure.. basically even if the main keyless part of the key doesn’t work there is a way to hold it against the switch and it should start.. even with dead key fob batteries.

I’d assume that would work even if you have this issue and it persists.

Just recently, starting getting the below notification in my 2011. Never have any trouble unlocking the doors, or starting the truck. And i have changed batteries and moved to the other key fob, no luck.

This only happens when a door is opened while the truck is running...like when i drop my daughter off at school. The minute her door or the driver door is opened this pops up. Goes away after about 30 seconds.

Anyone run into anything like this?

View attachment 1962307

Had this happened to me once. Had the driver door open and backed up to a bay at a tire shop to have the spare put back on. Turned off car with door open and it wouldn't detect the key. Had to start by putting fob directly on start button. Also had replaced the battery about a month before. Started working again and never had the problem since.

If you have LEDs installed in the interior, try turning them off as a test. Some LEDs give off a ton of electrical interference.

My key is not detectable when it's in my pocket and my cell phone is over the top of it. Won't unlock the door most times when I have the phone in the same pocket, have to wiggle my leg and it will unlock the doors if I am standing right on top of it.

I should I had that I installed my ham radio a few weeks ago and thought maybe that was the culprit. But I completely disconnected all of it and I’m still having the problem. I will definitely try starting it while touching the start button with the fob. Maybe that will do some sort of reset.

If you have a handheld AM radio you can use that to detect sources of interference. There are more precise tools but an AM radio works good enough in a pinch. Like so-

Also if you can tune your ham into listening in on the Smart Key frequencies you could hone in on any potential noise too.

Frequencies for your model year are
312.15 Mhz, 314.35 Mhz (AM) when pressing buttons.
134.2 Khz (AM) for passive entry and keyless start.

If you want to "reset" anything> disconnect the vehicles battery for a few minutes and then reconnect.

There are also Smart Key diag / communication tests which can be run from Techsteam if so inclined.

My bet is there is a source of noise. Since you mentioned it happens when you open the door, I suspected LED dome lights which would come on when the door is opened.

Last edited:
Anyone resolve this issue before?

I'm going to guess that it is because of the newly installed LED bulbs in the doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom