KDSS spacers and CBI skids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Build includes 2” IMS lift, Treaty Oak KDSS spacers, and CBI aluminum skids. I had read that the KDSS spacers were compatible with the CBI skids. Below are pics of the driver side hydraulic ram. I’ve got close to 1000mi with this setup. The front bolt connecting the ram to the sway bar has made contact with the backside of the skid. I certainly didn’t notice anything when driving. As far as I can tell, the only damage are those scrapes on the backside of the skid. But I’m wondering what the collective thinks.

EC26F66B-EBDD-4D37-8465-AB426DD5BF1A.jpeg

E0CFB7B1-6830-407B-8F44-3846663F60B6.jpeg

This is happening to me too… been thinking about drilling a hole in the skid where the bolt head is contacting

My other thought was to insert maybe a 1/4" spacer to all the locations where the skid plate bolts into the frame to get a little more room for that bolt head.

How about just taking a sawzall and notching it out. :hmm:

The front KDSS spacer does not make sense to me.

This would better solve the problem. It's pricey and somebody handy can easily make one but at this time he is the only source.

My other thought was to insert maybe a 1/4" spacer to all the locations where the skid plate bolts into the frame to get a little more room for that bolt head.

That would work too, but it might be hard to keep the spacers in place while mounting the skid.

The front KDSS spacer does not make sense to me.

This would better solve the problem. It's pricey and somebody handy can easily make one but at this time he is the only source.
This might do the trick too

I doubt the KDSS spacers (either type mentioned) are impacting this rubbing much. The Treaty Oak spacer only attaches to one side of the front sway bar supports, the fixed link side. The rubbing pictured here is on the hydraulic side, which should only be lowered a tiny amount (through a pivoting motion) by lowering the opposite side fixed mount. The DrKDSS spacers attach at the LCA and shouldn't impact upper link height at all.

Which is all to say... the CBI skids don't seem to completely clear KDSS even without spacers. Here's a video about it, and the clearance cuts this guy made to fix it:

Thanks for the video. I'm surprised by how big of a notch he felt needed to be cut out from the front skid. I haven't gotten around to messing with mine. I can't hear any knocking or scraping when driving. I'm generally more into overlanding than rock crawling though. On my first trip out (where everything was stock except for tires) the bumper cover got caught up and I put a gash in the running boards. That kinda forced my hand into getting the bumper and sliders. I had to wait a good long time for the bumper to arrive. In the meantime, Victory came out with theirs. I debated whether to cancel CBI and go with Victory. Ultimately I just liked the look of the CBI more than the Victory. Though now it seems the Victory might be better designed.

It's hard to tell from the video, but his bumper seems to have a bottom plate that's different from mine. Mine has honey combed shaped real openings that allow air to pass through to the radiator. Or maybe he installed it wrong? I installed mine the wrong way too and had to pull the bumper off to flip it around. Not sure how effective it is but better than nothing I suppose.

Yes, CBI included absolutely no instructions. Some bolts were also missing. At least they were very responsive in getting the bolts shipped out. A huge issue that I ran into was that part of the bumper touched up against what I think was the AC line. Luckily I caught it before any major damage occurred. I cut a small notch for clearance. I don't recall having too much of a problem fitting the skids, but I also don't have any other skid to compare. I had to remove two diagonal braces to fit the rear skid. I asked CBI about it and they claimed that their skid was designed to provide the needed bracing. I have an RCI fuel tank skid and RSG sliders.

FWIW the Victory Blitz is also a bit of a bear to install so I think the only real difference is aesthetics. The KDSS front sway moves a lot off road and I think the reality is that the front spacer may cause it to contact a lot of aftermarket skids to some degree. I think the Dr. KDSS front sway relocation brackets are a better (though expensive) alternative to the 1 front spacer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom