Kayak Mount Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve had various mounts, but frankly, none of them are as handy as just the basic two-piece foam units that have slots for cross bars.

I have a couple mounts from Thule if anyone wants them. The angled side mounts I found to be a pain, because kayaks don’t like to be lifted up on their sides.

Here are my two…back before Bubba was fully built…but they still work well:

View attachment 2962773

Using two sets of these.
Simple, secure, quiet and low.
View attachment 2962774
I’ve always wanted to go with this approach, particularly after lifting my truck. But the big problem for us is that when our boats are mounted flat on the rack accessing stuff through the rear hatch is a pain as it won’t open all the way.

I’ve always wanted to go with this approach, particularly after lifting my truck. But the big problem for us is that when our boats are mounted flat on the rack accessing stuff through the rear hatch is a pain as it won’t open all the way.
Mine don’t interfere with the rear hatch as I usually secure them forward of the spot in that older photo. Other alternative is mount them in the opposite direction as the hull only lowers to a fin on one end…leaving the rear spoiler free to raise.

Mine don’t interfere with the rear hatch as I usually secure them forward of the spot in that older photo. Other alternative is mount them in the opposite direction as the hull only lowers to a fin on one end…leaving the rear spoiler free to raise.
Good suggestion, depending on trip load needs I’ll give that a try. I was going to follow up my previous post, one upside to using j bars gives me free cargo space on the rack. Depending on trip plans I’ll have traction boards, Rotopax, a shovel, and more often than not firewood strapped to the rack. With the boats up there, no so much. Still, for just a boating trip flat looks like the ticket.👍

Good suggestion, depending on trip load needs I’ll give that a try. I was going to follow up my previous post, one upside to using j bars gives me free cargo space on the rack. Depending on trip plans I’ll have traction boards, Rotopax, a shovel, and more often than not firewood strapped to the rack. With the boats up there, no so much. Still, for just a boating trip flat looks like the ticket.👍

You might consider simply strapping your roto pac into/onto the kayak…

Also… The space *between the kayaks* is wide enough that I cn strap shorter items there if it was a longer trip. Usually though, I’m just hauling kayaks 1 minutes away to water…

You might consider simply strapping your roto pac into/onto the kayak…

Also… The space *between the kayaks* is wide enough that I cn strap shorter items there if it was a longer trip. Usually though, I’m just hauling kayaks 1 minutes away to water…
Or….I could just suck it up and buy a rear bumper to strap all of that stuff onto 🤔

I like/own the hullavator solution - however for the price of 2 and the base rack, you could easily find a cheap kayak trailer, so loading and unloading is pretty easy. Otherwise, look for a roller kit (Amazon.com : kayak roller loader - https://www.amazon.com/kayak-roller-loader/s?k=kayak+roller+loader) or the malone lift assist (Kayak Roof Rack with Load Assist | Malone SeaWing Stinger - https://www.storeyourboard.com/kayak-roof-rack-with-load-assist-malone-seawing-stinger/?source=category_page)

FWIW, my wifes SUV has a set of the foam blocks and straps in it, in case I run into a problem and need to have her come get me....or drop me off for a long paddle home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom