JW Offroad Spare Tire Mount (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Much better video, I'm sure you didn't mean to post that non-discernible footage the first time around.

What IS abundantly clear from your video is that the steel foot on the door sill is flexing downward into the plastic bumper. So while it may be in contact with the tire carrier frame & door edge, it's not 100% structurally supporting the door.

The factory mating tab and slot you showed inside the door frame is providing more structural integrity than that foot is. You demonstrated that it corrects the weighted-down door into the right position, so that the latch will lock shut.

It will probably be fine in the end for most users, but from my perspective, the JWO design features a lot of cosmetic engineering.

Much better video, I'm sure you didn't mean to post that non-discernible footage the first time around.

What IS abundantly clear from your video is that the steel foot on the door sill is flexing downward into the plastic bumper. So while it may be in contact with the tire carrier frame & door edge, it's not 100% structurally supporting the door.

The factory mating tab and slot you showed inside the door frame is providing more structural integrity than that foot is. You demonstrated that it corrects the weighted-down door into the right position, so that the latch will lock shut.

It will probably be fine in the end for most users, but from my perspective, the JWO design features a lot of cosmetic engineering.
Agreed. I noticed the same thing and it certainly has me wondering if that center plate is really doing anything. I also upsized the rivet nut on that back panel because 1/4" hardware seemed too small to me.

I don't get into it in the video but why they use huge bolts for the carrier assembly and then smaller hardware where it actually goes through the door makes no sense. I have to say there is no movement on the road and it all seems very sturdy when the door is closed. But I am actually thinking of ditching the stainless steel part of my rear table to lighten it up when opened.

Anyone with the mount installed have some reviews after a significant amount of miles? Any actual issues on hinges so far?

Mine went on in Oct 2019. I've beaten on the GX pretty damn hard with it on and I have no issues with my door or hinges. I've driven roughly 18k miles with it on including a cross country road trip.

I have about 20k miles on mine. No issues with the hinge pins or door sagging. I will say though, I have a squeak. I need to readjust the carrier holder on the body probably. A better design would probably allow you to use some sort of slippery plastic to help guide and set the door on the carrier.

I have about 20k miles on mine. No issues with the hinge pins or door sagging. I will say though, I have a squeak. I need to readjust the carrier holder on the body probably. A better design would probably allow you to use some sort of slippery plastic to help guide and set the door on the carrier.
Is the squeak when you are driving? Did you self install?

Is the squeak when you are driving? Did you self install?
It is when I'm driving and I did install it myself. Pretty straightforward.

Any more long term reports? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the JW carrier but I wanted some more review/feedback
No issues really. I ended up pulling the door panel off and retightening the bolts, making sure it was all tight. After that, my squeak went away. Still would recommend the carrier. Much more cheaper than a bumper with swingarm setup.

Has anyone purchased JWs new reinforcement brackets that tie the outer skin to the inner where the carrier mounts? Looks like they were planning on adding them to the site but I highly doubt that will happen seeing as they have a backlog of orders rolling out.

I’m going to reach out to them and see if I can get a set.

Any more long term reports? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the JW carrier but I wanted some more review/feedback
Did you end up purchasing and installing it? I bought one back in March of this year and its been sitting in the box until doing my brakes and rotors last weekend... (life has been a rollercoaster, just now opened it). I'm still a little uncertain about actually installing it, mostly because I have a bike rack on on rear door and end up transporting my bike very often... It's definitely wicked cool!

Did you end up purchasing and installing it? I bought one back in March of this year and its been sitting in the box until doing my brakes and rotors last weekend... (life has been a rollercoaster, just now opened it). I'm still a little uncertain about actually installing it, mostly because I have a bike rack on on rear door and end up transporting my bike very often... It's definitely wicked cool!

I got the carrier and installed at JWO. I really like the carrier for its convenience and form factor. However, I am realistic in the potential issues the carrier may cause in the future. I am careful in how I open and close the rear door, and I don't plan on hanging anything larger than a 32" or a 33" pizza cutter spare on it.

I took the car a while back, on the Old Coast Road in Big Sur and the carrier worked solid and I didn't pay the carrier any concern on the drive. It's too early for any "issues" but honestly I haven't found anyone that has had issues with the carrier that was willing to give details and pictures to "show" how the carrier failed them or caused damage to their rear doors. But as with anything on the net, I have heard a handful of stories about the carrier damaging the rear doors or how horrible the carrier is.

I got mine on the first batch and have around 30k miles on mine.

I've had 285/70/17's, 285/75/17's and a 35" hung on it for thousands of miles.

I checked the hinges and mounting hardware about a month ago and all was well.

I got mine on the first batch and have around 30k miles on mine.

I've had 285/70/17's, 285/75/17's and a 35" hung on it for thousands of miles.

I checked the hinges and mounting hardware about a month ago and all was well.

This is a pretty solid testimonial.

Neither should cost that much.
I have no experience with the Becky, but I know at the introductory price of under $600, it was a no brainer.

With the JW carrier currently priced at $899/975 and the ACC Becky at $960, what is the current consensus on which is better?

Who knows really. Neither has had a failure to my knowledge. There was a dude on Facebook that claimed he had seen a JW rip the door, but had zero evidence to back up the claim, as it wasn’t his vehicle. I take heresay with a grain of salt. No actual owners of a JW or ACC have ever voiced a failure that I could find.

ACC uses larger bolts thru mounted across both inner/outer skins with anti-crush spacers in between. JW bolts to outer skin, sandwiching one side of a bracket both at the upper and lower mounts that then bolts to the inner skin. Hard to say what is actually stronger as I am no engineer. Thru bolt versus a bracket in between. Both have a body mounted lower support. I dont think you can go wrong with either product. But prices on both now suck. Glad I bought my JW early on for the $570. Wouldn’t have made the purchase for $800+ on either of the 2. Same reason I wasn’t paying for a $900+ hitch mount tire carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom