Just ordered Icon rebounds for my LX...What tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tincan45

Too old to know anything.
SILVER Star
Threads
Just ordered these: Icon Rebound Bronze

Debating two tire options:

KO2 - Look great on this wheel and always been my go-to (Might be getting bored of them)
Falken At3w - Better on road, still look good, a little cheaper, lighter, and have great reviews.

If I can make up my mind there, I need to decide on a size:

#1 285/70/17
#2 275/70/17

I searched the forums for anyone with an LX running rebounds and can't find one. The 25mm offset makes me wonder if I will have any issues on 285.

275 is the safe bet, I'm pretty sure I won't have any issues. I want to be on 33's though!

Any advice?

Go with 32inch and you will be fine. 33inch will rub and you will need to do adjustments as remove flaps and from the front of the fender.

Go with 32inch and you will be fine. 33inch will rub and you will need to do adjustments as remove flaps and from the front of the fender.

That's what I suspected.

Just ordered these: Icon Rebound Bronze

Debating two tire options:

KO2 - Look great on this wheel and always been my go-to (Might be getting bored of them)
Falken At3w - Better on road, still look good, a little cheaper, lighter, and have great reviews.

If I can make up my mind there, I need to decide on a size:

#1 285/70/17
#2 275/70/17

I searched the forums for anyone with an LX running rebounds and can't find one. The 25mm offset makes me wonder if I will have any issues on 285.

275 is the safe bet, I'm pretty sure I won't have any issues. I want to be on 33's though!

Any advice?
Ok, I am not sure about the offset. I will tell you my ‘13 LX is rolling on stock 20” rims with 275/60’s (which are marketed as 33.0”). Even in low mode it doesn’t seem to rub. There is UNQUESTIONABLY zero rubbing at normal height no matter what (I was really worried about rubbing and cannot make it rub in normal height).

My speedo is now dead on with the GPS speed. The odo underreports by 5.25%.

If my offset is near 25mm I cannot recommend the 33” highly enough. My brakes work well. The stock gearing pulls it just fine, overall the 275 at 33” seems perfect. Perhaps others will chime-in but from reading I think the 285s will be fine too if the offset is correct. I think there’s no rubbing until 285s in the 34” group.

Proportionally it looks good too. When parked in low it looks neat when in high mode the wheel/tires don’t look too small.

Last edited:
Ok, I am not sure about the offset. I will tell you my ‘13 LX is rolling on stock 20” rims with 275/60’s (which are marketed as 33.0”). Even in low mode it doesn’t seem to rub. There is UNQUESTIONABLY zero rubbing at normal height no matter what (I was really worried about rubbing and cannot make it rub in normal height).

If my offset is near 25mm I cannot recommend the 33” highly enough. My brakes work well. The stock gearing pulls it just fine, overall the 275 at 33” seems perfect. I think others will chime-in and the 285 will be fine too. If the offset is correct I think there’s no rubbing until 285s in the 34” group.

Proportionally it looks good too. When parked in low it looks neat when in high mode the wheel/tires don’t look too small.

So that's one vote for 275 and one for 285. Are you running AHC lift? That's probably the first thing I'll do once I have everything mounted.

If my offset is near 25mm I cannot recommend the 33” highly enough. My brakes work well. The stock gearing pulls it just fine, overall the 275 at 33” seems perfect. Perhaps others will chime-in but from reading I think the 285s will be fine too if the offset is correct. I think there’s no rubbing until 285s in the 34” group.

Standard is not 275/60. It is 285/50r20. I know since I have bought those wheels which came with original tires. I went up to 275/60 which work on factory wheels. Chaning offset will make it rub. I have just tried adding spacers to factory wheels and doesn't work without modifications.

Standard is not 275/60. It is 285/50r20. I know since I have bought those wheels which came with original tires. I went up to 275/60 which work on factory wheels. Chaning offset will make it rub. I have just tried adding spacers to factory wheels and doesn't work without modifications.
Right👍 I went through similar on my 4Runner and learned moving wheels out caused the oversized (tall) 255/75/17’s to rub, they were fine on stock rims with no spacers. On my LX I chose the 275/60 to replace stock tires with no spacers so I’d have no rub. It worked out well for me.

I don’t know what the offset of the stock LX rim is but I do know it’s the correct offset for 33’s. The question for tincan45 becomes how does stock offset compare with the new Icon’s.

BTW tincan45’s Icons in bronze are going to awesome with the white paint, great choice!

Last edited:
Right👍 I went through similar on my 4Runner and learned moving wheels out caused the oversized (tall) 255/75/17’s to rub, they were fine on stock rims with no spacers. On my LX I chose the 275/60 to replace stock tires with no spacers so I’d have no rub. It worked out well for me.

I don’t know what the offset of the stock LX rim is but I do know it’s the correct offset for 33’s. The question tincan45 becomes how does stock offset compare with the new Icon’s.

BTW tincan45’s Icons in bronze are going to awesome with the white paint, great choice!
standard offset is 60

standard offset is 60

Interesting, so I'll still be about 1.4 inches inside of stock offset. This reinforces my desire to go 285 and deal with any minor rubbing issues. 3D chess anyone?

I REALLY like the @dmc build with 285/75/17, but that might be a bit much on an LX that's spends 99% of it's time in "normal" mode with only a 1" lift. I don't know if he is running spacers or not, but that stance looks amazing.

Dynamic lift sure changes the decision making process.

Go with the 285/70/17; they will look great with the +25 offset Rebounds! You (might?) see minor rubbing, but it should be 100% eliminated with alignment (positive castor will bring the wheel further forward in the wheel well), minor inner-fender trimming (pushing front liner forward, not cutting) and in worst case, removal of the front mud flap.

Dynamic Lift on LX shouldn't change your decision: I have an LC not LX, but ran KO2s in 275/70R18 (33.16x10.83) on +20s with no lift for several weeks to suss out any clearance issues. I later switched to 305 /65 R18 WildPeak ATs, which I run currently.

I really love both tires, but I think the KO2s track better on pavement. Of course it could be due to the wider tread. Both are E rated, but the WPs seem a bit more bouncy. Both are quiet and have great grip in wet and in snow (which is very important to me, since we ski every weekend in winter). Although again, I think the KO2s are slightly better, but the WPs are a hell of a tire for the money.

You can't really go wrong with either tire and are probably splitting hairs between those 2 sizes. That said, the LC is a big vehicle and the larger tires make it look more proportional. Go Bigger! :cool:

Interesting, so I'll still be about 1.4 inches inside of stock offset. This reinforces my desire to go 285 and deal with any minor rubbing issues. 3D chess anyone?

You’ll be 1.4” outside of stock offset. Go 285/70, rubbing should be minimal. Toyota even recommends 285/70 with the rock warrior rims for stock trucks.

I suggest the kenda 601 in 35x10.5x 17

What I’d run if I had 17s.

Ha, thanks @grinchy! I read your entire build thread the other day. You should be the poster child for DIY. I may be too vein for the Kendas, but if we ever cross paths, I'm buying you a beer.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Looks like I'l be going 285/70/17 and BFG....again! I found a picture of my first set of KO's back in 1990, I was 17 years old.

IMG_7022.JPG

After almost 30 years, a blazer, a bronco II, a 4runner, and 3 Tacomas later I'm still buying BFG. Jesus I'm getting old!

Will be a busy and expensive week for the "Yacht". Wednesday she gets 90K service, new plugs and new radiator. Thursday or Friday should be getting new shoes and socks. Can't wait.

Thanks all. Looks like I'l be going 285/70/17 and BFG....again! I found a picture of my first set of KO's back in 1990, I was 17 years old.

View attachment 2067339

After almost 30 years, a blazer, a bronco II, a 4runner, and 3 Tacomas later I'm still buying BFG. Jesus I'm getting old!

Will be a busy and expensive week for the "Yacht". Wednesday she gets 90K service, new plugs and new radiator. Thursday or Friday should be getting new shoes and socks. Can't wait.

Your not getting old yet if you were only 17 in 1990.

Ha, thanks @grinchy! I read your entire build thread the other day. You should be the poster child for DIY. I may be too vein for the Kendas, but if we ever cross paths, I'm buying you a beer.
Nah just cheap. Always up for beer!

Kinda off-topic but where did you order the ICON wheels? www.iconvehicledynamics.com doesn't show shipping cost before you finish the order!

They use distribution channels. Find a local dealer on their website and you will likely have lower cost and free shipping. I ordered through local 4WD shop and it was considerably less than if I ordered direct from Icon.

...Oh wait you are in Ontario. Perhaps the process is the same.

Got curious....

Call these guys for Ontario:

CT Motorsports7050 Bramalea RoadUnit #22MississaugaOntarioL5S 1T1Canada905-452-3236

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom