just changed my refrigerant to freeze 12 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I just converted my AC system to the Freeze 12 product. It was super easy and it works really well.

A little background here. I had my engine rebuilt about two years ago before which the AC was working. The shop that installed the engine never recharged the AC system(I assume that one of the lines had to be cracked open to take the engine out). Anyway after fixing most of the major stuff I had nothing else to work on so I did the ac this weekend.

Here is the breakdown:

Parts
$17.00 - new high and low side fittings and 2oz. ester oil
$13.00 - 2 12oz cans of freeze 12

Tools:

135.00 - 1.5cfm vacuum pump
110.00 - manifold gauge set
9.50 - can tapper device

All I did was connect the new fittings to the high and low side of the compressor and connect the manifold gauge accordingly. Hook up the vacuum pump to the manifold gauge and suck the AC system down to a vacuum for 20 minutes at negative 29psi. Next I closed off the vacuum line and made sure that the system could hold the vacuum for 5 minutes which it did. Then you disconnect the vacuum line and hook up the can tapper line and add the freez 12 oil and the refrigerant. Easy squeazy stuff.

I was originally going to do an r134 conversion but you have to get all of the old oil out of the system which requires a lot of work. The freeze 12 is compatible with the old r12 oil so it isn't necessary to flush the oil. The only thing which I should have done but didn't was switch out the receiver drier $40 from toyota.

I hope this helps some of you out there. I figured I would rather buy the tools and do it myself considering a shop would probably charge me the same to do it. By the way r12 is $61 a can (two cans needed)

Dave

What's Freeze 12?

I have Freeze 12 put in mine last year. It is the same thing as the old stuff, I just think it is easier on the ozone.

Just what i was told.

Freeze 12 is an alternative refrigerant, used in place of R12, has closer cooling specs to R12 and you don't need to do any conversion. You do need to vacuum the system first though.

I was told it has some propane in it but if you look at its web site www.freeze12.com it states it is not explosive, I put it in the 62 and it works great. Much cheaper and easier than a conversion.

John

djanis99 said:
The only thing which I should have done but didn't was switch out the receiver drier $40 from toyota.

You may find that that was not a good place to save $40, especially if it was actually open to the air for any time at all.

I did a r-134a conversion on my 60 one year ago. I just used the kit that you can buy at NAPA for $30. Was simple to do. Bleed what was left of the r-12 out, added the can of oil meant to make the old oil compatible, 3 cans of the new r-134. Worked great and the air is still ice cold a year later. I've read many times that this won't work without changing seals, vaccuming out the system, and a new evaporator, but mine worked great.

ya wanna loan out/sell/rent your hard parts to a guy in the south that NEEDS AC? pm me..

I'll throw my cumulative unproven knowledge into the mix:

The A/C system cotains oil and the refigerant is what propels the oil throught the system.

R12 oil and R134A oil are not compatible because R134A is not able to push R12 oil. Hence the need to swap oil.

Vacuum the system will also dispell the remaining water since water boils off in a low enough vacuum. If the system has been open to air for a while best to replace the dryer.

Freeze 12 have propane ??? Dunno ? I've heard it's combustible but haven't seen it in print.

Cahil

P.S. djanis99, Nice witeup on how to convert the system.

I put freeze 12 in my powerstroke about 25k ago, along with a new compressor. Not a problem one, and it's plenty cold. I heard the propane thing too, but since I'm not opening the system, no problem here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom