Just bought an 80 and soo many questions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've just bought an '96 80 with 97k miles. I got it in L.A. for $13k. I live between Vancouver and Whistler, B.C. site of the 2010 Winter Olympics. so after getting a clean bill of health at the Toyota dealer in North Hollywood, I I-5ed it north for home. The truck was a joy to drive after 18 years and 200k in my old 60 series. So now comes the stage where I feel a constant and overwhelming need to accesorize. The PO was a slob, the truck was a complete pigsty inside, but it cleaned up well. Missing were the owners manual, a factory key, the alarm fob, floormats, and the key for the reciever hitch. I zipcut the reciever hitch lock and replaced it with the more conventional pin and cotter pin(at least in Canada it's more conventional), bought an owners manual and FSM, and ordered floor mats and a couple of keys. Reading through the old posts there seems to be a fairly general panning of the OEM security system. Could someone enlighten me as to why? What were the features? Is it worth buying another one? They are $69 at SOR plus exchange, duty and shipping for me with my anemic Northern Peso. What about programming? Do I have to go to the dealer? Also, what about the code for the stereo system, can I change that without knowing the original?(if, in fact the PO even installed a code) I've changed all my fluids, except the tranny, the knuckles look good(I'll probably pull them out next spring) and I can honestly say I haven't been this amped about a vehicle since I got my 60 many years ago. Thanks in advance, this is a great resource that I know I'll be checking often. Greg.

Greg,
Welcome to 80s ownership and non-lurking status here on ih8mud.

Please use some formatting in your posts. Paragraphs help.

>> Reading through the old posts there seems to be a fairly general panning of the OEM security <<
>> system. Could someone enlighten me as to why? <<

The "factory" alarms have some peculiarities that most of us find a PITA. For example, if you lock it with the FOB, you *must* unlock it with the FOB. If you, or your wife, uses the key then the alarm will wake up the neighborhood as you run around trying to find a FOB to shut the darn thing off. PITA.

>> What were the features? <<

There were several different OEM "factory" alarms. All for the US were port installed, not factory installed. Your '96 probably has the RS3000 alarm if it was sold outside the Gulf states (TX, LA, MS)

If that lazy SOB Beowulf would get to work and post the new RS3000 manuals to another web site then you could get them from his home page. (I promise to do this.... really.)

>> Is it worth buying another one? <<

Are you talking about buying another alarm? If yes, then that is your decision. IMHO, no, it is not worth buying another vehicle security system.

>> What about programming? Do I have to go to the dealer? <<

You can programm the system yourself. It would be easier with the manuals. See post above and plead your case with 'ole Beo or maybe someone else has the manuals handy.

>> Also, what about the code for the stereo system, <<
>> can I change that without knowing the original? <<

In your OM, it describes how to tell if the factory stereo has been set with a password. If it has, you may have to go to a dealer to get it reset. If you pull power to the unit then it will lock.

>> ... the knuckles look good (I'll probably pull them out next spring) <<

Don't wait too long. See *lots* of posts where new owners thought the PO had the knuckles serviced, merrily went along for a while, and ended up feeding C-Dan's dogs.

-B-

Welcome Greg -

We share some common ground. I too just moved up from a 60 to an 80 this past summer and have never been this pumped about a car/truck/bike before (even the 60 series).

I also live in the area (Fort Langley) and ski at Whistler now and again. Bling Bling depending. There's another chap on this site from Vancouver as well.

I too have the RS3000 alarm system. I do find the design a little lacking in regards to the open with the Key and she alarms oversight. Just happened the other day with C-Dan on the phone helping out on our SOS. You will want to "meet" C-Dan.

I too was worried about the radio being locked but I think there's a indicator telling you this and would bet that it's not enabled. You won't need it.

Keep in touch.

Riley

Greg, congrats.

Go subscirbe to the 80scool list as well and in their "Files" section you can download the Alarm manual for VIP RS3000 (96-97).

Fix the breathers for the diffs, trans and x-case. The front diff one will in enough time clog, cause you to blow your inner axle seals, cross contaminant your gear oil and knuckle grease, and generally piss you off that a $2 section of hose would have prevented $5 worth of seals from failing thus inducing $$$ worth of front end work.

Begin buying lots of aftermarket parts so the increased demand will lower the prices for everyone ;)

Mike R

Greg, sorry to have given you momentary hope but I just tried to open those files for the manual and you just get the index!
Mike R

C-Dan meet Greg, Greg meet Dan.

You guys should talk....... :cheers: :beer: :cheers: :beer:

Ok, I'm not much on introductions. :rolleyes:

Riley

Hey Greg, good truck and good price. The Canadian dollar is much better than when I bought my truck last year at .64 so no peso jokes please... I'll see you on the 99 this winter.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=8015;start=msg67707#msg67707 date=1069743529]

If that lazy SOB Beowulf would get to work and post the new RS3000 manuals to another web site then you could get them from his home page. (I promise to do this.... really.)

>> What about programming? Do I have to go to the dealer? <<

You can programm the system yourself. It would be easier with the manuals. See post above and plead your case with 'ole Beo or maybe someone else has the manuals handy.

[/quote]

So these manuals, I would like. The alarm is driving me crazy, and I'm sure the neighbors like it too.

Hi Greg. Fellow newbie here. :)
I just bought a 96 as well.
The radio should have a little symbol of a key on the face. I think it
lights up when "armed". If it's not lighted I think it's off.
The truck's vehicle alarm on my 80 has a little dash l.e.d. on the dash close to the
driver's door side. When it's on the system is off. The arming
switch is on the driver's side kick panel under the dash. It's a little two way silver toggle.
To arm/disarm close all openings and turn ignition switch to "on"
and then toggle the switch on kick panel.
When you press the fob button the trucks parking lights will flash,
once for armed, twice for disarm.
HTH,

Derek,
Soon... very soon.
-B-

Derek,

I found the manual for the RS 3000 at
http--www.kmc.net-temp-RS3000.pdf

Thanks! I was about ready to rip the alarm out.

sea2sky could you copy and paste the url. I cannot get it to work.
Thanks,
Sean
Oh yea, welcome.

Thanks Tyler :beer:.
Sean

My web site has been updated with the ability to download the RS3000 manuals. There is the Owner's Manual, a troubleshooting manual, the Electronic Wiring Diagram, and the Installation manual for a 97 Land Cruiser. The files are stored on the Slee Offroad site (thanks Christo!!!) so you may also find a link on his site.

The files are multi-page PDF's and zipped so you will need an UnZip utility and the Acrobat Reader.

-B-

Just don't go to the dealer for help with the alarm :rolleyes:. Now they might program your remote for cheap, but the p.o. (must have been a real wing-nut, you know what i mean :flipoff2:) had pretty much ripped the entire RS3000 system out and put in a viper. The toy dealer was going to charge me around $400 labor to install the alarm. So i'm alarmless! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom