June Trail Ride Medano Pass 6/17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really fun day hanging out with great people. I don’t usually take pictures, but got a lot today.
We went out to clean up trash at a huge squatters camp, but we’re surprised someone had beat us to the cleanup- so we just got to play all day!
Got to have a snow ride in June. Dang near a white-out.
We had a couple trail repairs. Dave’s electric fan had a bad connection causing his truck to overheat, and I had a screw in my tire that needed to be plugged.

53E9044D-9E1E-471E-A9D8-A930BCEEFBC7.jpeg

8C9315AF-B580-49F8-A548-B48C80C784AC.jpeg

4BE8C387-BE94-40A1-BCBE-9B6C0B411021.jpeg

8E3178C9-A6B9-4A81-8133-956A511E434E.jpeg

05C846E3-369E-4474-8B7B-90EBDDE52D11.jpeg

Another great trip! I've broken something, though. Engine mount(s) perhaps.

Anyway, here's some pics.

20230617_124645.jpg
20230617_134108.jpg
20230617_134416.jpg
20230617_142949.jpg
20230617_165100.jpg

The first picture is where we got stopped by a snow blockage on the road at 11,800 feet elevation (Hermit Pass is 13,077). The day started dry and warm, then turned rainy, then sleet, then snow, then cleared to blue sky and a rainbow. We did hear thunder snow.

Hermit Pass 3.jpg

Hermit Pass 4.jpg

Hermit Pass 5.jpg

On this trip we did see the new model of Land Cruiser. It is named the FJ150. Our sharp eyes could not be deceived by the camouflage that most people would think was a Ford pickup.

Hermit Pass 1.jpg

Hermit Pass 2.jpg

@Der Aussenseiter
Did you get a chance to look at this? Any idea what broke? What are the symptoms? Vibration?
On the way home (and ever since), I noticed this unusual, growling vibration at idle and coasting over 65mph. I changed a bad trans mount, which improved some things, but not the vibration.

On the way home (and ever since), I noticed this unusual, growling vibration at idle and coasting over 65mph. I changed a bad trans mount, which improved some things, but not the vibration.
Did you bugger up the driveshaft?

I have to make a sacrifice to the automotive gods... my weird vibration cured itself! My theory is that I bashed the exhaust on a rock (despite no marks that I could find) and it strained the outlet joint on one of the manifolds, then slowly worked itself back to neutral with a few hundred miles of driving. I did hit one rock that felt "stretchy" - could have been a tug at the hanger.

Oh, and my wife thinks "FJ-150" is so hilarious that I should just keep the Ford and put that on its license plate. :D

I was in the Westcliff area on Sunday and wanted to see what Medano pass was like. The trail only had a few muddy areas the were only where the trail couldn't drain properly. The water crossing we not running very high. The sand in the National Park was pretty dry and soft, but manageable. On the way back out we came across a herd of mountain sheep (8) in the road. THe tally was 3 trucks, 11 jeeps, 2 Toyotas. There was a youth corp out cutting back the trees along the road. After that we went up Music pass. Only 4 vehicles on the Music pass trail.
Sheep 1.jpg
Sheep 2.jpg
Sheep 3.jpg

I was up at Hermit Pass a couple weekends ago. In the primary camping area, at the waterfall, it looks as though squatters attempted to live in one of the camps. The leftover debris field is very large. I was thinking about seeing if there would be any interest in our club members to clean this up. Those of you that have been around a long time may remember the “Brighten the Sanges” event, where our club used to do cleanup of Hermit Pass.
This was too much to clean up while we were there, but a few rigs could handle it with a trailer or truck. I was thinking about asking groups to sponsor the cleanup, as disposal fees get pricey. Maybe Stay the Trail could help.
I have a truck and trailer, but will have to ask the wife if she has plans this weekend.
Just a thought, since we’re looking for a trail ride idea. 😉
Of course, there is a chance someone has already removed it, but I doubt it. View attachment 3349050View attachment 3349051View attachment 3349052View attachment 3349053
Scumbags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom