June Trail Ride Medano Pass 6/17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The regular scheduled trail ride will be Medano Pass on the 17th. Leave from the South Meetup Location (Safeway on South Nevada 1910 S. Nevada Ave.) on the east side of the parking lot (as usual spot) facing Nevada Ave. 8am to 8:30am time frame. We'll cross-check radios and then move out."

This trip is scheduled to be an overnight trip. Camping location will be selected by the group.

If you did not want to camp out, you can return Saturday night.

Wish I could make it. With all this rain, better see if you can check the water crossings before you go. Saw some posts on FB a week or so ago that looked sporty already.

This is from Colorado Christian Wheelers FB page a couple weekends ago. There’s a pretty big mudhole out on Medano right now. I hear it’s gotten worse. Just a heads up.
148E3DD4-AA49-42A0-931B-6A788E6405DB.png
C540FFB5-A247-42FF-BBC5-42DADDB45F5E.png

I was up at Hermit Pass a couple weekends ago. In the primary camping area, at the waterfall, it looks as though squatters attempted to live in one of the camps. The leftover debris field is very large. I was thinking about seeing if there would be any interest in our club members to clean this up. Those of you that have been around a long time may remember the “Brighten the Sanges” event, where our club used to do cleanup of Hermit Pass.
This was too much to clean up while we were there, but a few rigs could handle it with a trailer or truck. I was thinking about asking groups to sponsor the cleanup, as disposal fees get pricey. Maybe Stay the Trail could help.
I have a truck and trailer, but will have to ask the wife if she has plans this weekend.
Just a thought, since we’re looking for a trail ride idea. 😉
Of course, there is a chance someone has already removed it, but I doubt it.
CD3501D1-7146-49A2-9B6B-DDB0973329C1.jpeg
EF6B0408-C5F3-4811-B522-6967A5630E7E.jpeg
8C036835-3B1E-4100-BDEB-BEAA402ED0E9.jpeg
67B568F2-40F5-4B47-9F02-FE81C7346AC2.jpeg

I'm planning on getting out anyway this weekend. Medano pass sounds like it is not ready due to conditions. I'll gladly go to Hermit pass and help with cleanup of the site. Instead of an overnight trip it would be a day trip. Meetup would be unchanged at the South Safeway. Reply if you are interested in going to Hermit pass this weekend or pushing this event two weeks to either the 1st (Saturday) or 2nd (Sunday) of July. I know that people do have a 4 day weekend planned for the 4th of July.

Personally, I would rather change the destination than push the date. Clean up what is reasonable and return in 2 weeks if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAS
It’s Father’s Day weekend, so I know that’s busy for a lot of folks. I could go to Hermit Saturday and bring my 5x10 trailer.
I wonder if the club could cover disposal fees? Probably $75-$100

I could go to Hermit Saturday and bring my 5x10 trailer.
I wonder if the club could cover disposal fees? Probably $75-$100

Personally, I would rather change the destination than push the date. Clean up what is reasonable and return in 2 weeks if needed
I would vote "yes" for the club to cover the disposal fee (and/or get a donation from the Colorado 4WD Association to cover it)

Agree with @LCPilot that I'd prefer to do an alternate than to push the date off two weeks. "Brighten the Sangres" sounds good for this weekend!!!

I would vote "yes" for the club to cover the disposal fee (and/or get a donation from the Colorado 4WD Association to cover it)

Agree with @LCPilot that I'd prefer to do an alternate than to push the date off two weeks. "Brighten the Sangres" sounds good for this weekend!!!
We don’t event have to get that damn green paint all over us painting wooden picnic tables. They switched to steel tables. 🙂
How I see the day going: we can get to the cleanup area, work to get the camps cleaned up, load the trailer. I will bring a tongue lock and cable. We can lock the trailer up, go run the trail, pick the trailer up on the way down, head out for the day.
Bring gloves (maybe rubber gloves, it’s pretty gross), trash bags, and a picker if you have one.

I’ll be out of town again but am all down for doing medano possibly near end of June.

Is Hermit Pass one the F150 could do?
Easily. It’s a rough, bumpy road, but there aren’t really any obstacles on it. We saw a Chevy Traverse about halfway up last time out. I certainly wouldn’t recommend that, but an F150 will be fine. Highly suggest airing down to as low as you’re comfortable going. I go down to 8-10 psi on this trail. I can bring an extra compressor if needed. You won’t be the only outsider either- I’ll be bringing the Jeep. 😉

Interested! Will let you know if I can join tomorrow (assuming this is the final plan).

It sound like the majority of people interested in this weekend want to do Hermit pass. Meet at Safeway on S Nevada. See the first post for details. Alternate meeting point is 9:30 Canon City, 10:00 Texas Creek Gas station at corner of 115 and 50 in Penrose about 9:15 for people to meet along the way. GRMS channel 5.

Last edited:
Can't make this one - have to run up to DIA

Is this still on with all the flash flood and hail warnings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom