June 4th Alternate Trail Ride, The Gulches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the alternate June trip. At the May meeting there was discussion that some people could not make the Saturday trip in May. Meet on Sunday June 4th at the e Alta Philips 66 gas station at the stop light as you enter Divide. Meet at 8:00, Leave at 8:30 for the Gulches. The group will decide on the Gulch to run.

Post a reply if you can make the trip so we can get an idea of how many people and rigs will show up.

Last edited:
I picked the wrong gas station. We have usually met at the Phillips 66, 10 Meadow Park Dr, Divide, CO 80814. It has a larger parking lot and a better selection of trail food. It is located at the first stop light when you enter Divide.

Reactions: SAS
Been hard to hit trails lately due to work and I’m unfortunately on call this date. Unless I can make it up and down the mountain before 7p I won’t be able to make this one.

We usually are back in town by 5 or so. 7 pm is easy to meet. Please come along and we can easily meet your schedule.

I waited at the Philips 66 until 9:00 on Saturday. Nobody showed up to the meeting area. I decided to proceed to explore the areas East of the Christmas Tree cutting area. I entered the area by going to Florissant and going up County Road 3 and then turned onto County Road 51. I bounced between the CO TREX app and the Avenza APP with the Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for Peak NF (Pikes Peak and South Park) maps loaded. I immediately noticed that the CO TREX app had more roads loaded into (Many are private roads and closed trails) the app and helped to get me turned around a couple of times. I got to see FR201, FR750, FR752, FR 273 and FR274. They were a nice trip through some pretty country. There were some people out camping and trying to stay dry in the drizzling rain. I was concerned that the rails would be a mudfest. I was surprised to find out the, yes they were wet and some rainwater draining by with the prevalence of lots of rotten granite on the tails made some good traction. I worked my way up to Hackett Gulch (FR202) and followed a new Bronco all the way through (Thanks to the lockers). I went on North and followed a group of Jeeps into Longwater Gulch (FR221). I kept on heading North and Led a new Bronco into Metberry Gulch (FR205). I got back on Rt 51 and got over to Rt 3 via FR 367. I ended my day at the Pikes Peak BBQ in woodland park with a Pulled Pork sandwich. I was running my Ham radio during the day and made a couple of contacts on 20 meters.

Gulch 1.jpg

Gulch 2.jpg

A Saturday trip is better for me than Sunday. Any more Saturday trips this month or next? I don’t see it in this sub forum beyond

“June
Medano Pass (overnight camping in Sand Dunes, or a day trip)

July
Cloverdale Mine BBQ, Fishing, Gold Panning (Near Westcliffe)
Tin Cup, Saint Elmo”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom