Issues with 14BT Clutch Disengaging in a BJ75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cross-posting from my thread to hopefully get some more attention.

Here's what I know:

14BT Clutch Disc & Pressure Plate, resurfaced 14BT Flywheel, (year & model unknown)
1990 BJ75, (was) 3BII (is) 14BT/H55 w/ alloy bell housing, non-boosted clutch, non-adjustable slave

Before I figured out the slave rod wasn't adjustable, I pulled the boot off and fluid ran out, so the slave was leaking. I filled the reservoir and bled it, removed the boot and don't see any fluid leaking, the fork is moving, just not far enough for it to shift into gear while running.

Next, I robbed an adjustable slave rod out of a BJ60 (boosted clutch) and put it in place of the non-adjustable rod. I ended up adjusting it out to almost max before I was able to shift it into gear with out grinding.

Even though it went into gear, it felt like it was slipping (I was just going a few feet forward and back as I still don't have it back together to the point of being able to drive it) like it was adjusted too far. This may be just my pessimism though.

Something is not right. As there is no inspection cover, the only way to check it out is to pull it apart again.

I've checked part numbers between a 14BT/H55 vehicle and the stock BJ75 and the slave, clutch fork, pivot ball and throw-out bearing are all different numbers.

As I see it I either have to scrap the 'new' 14BT clutch and get a 13BT/BJ75 compatible clutch or I need to get the proper components to make this 14BT clutch to work. I prefer the latter option as the 14BT clutch is new and beefier than the 3B version I pulled.

I just don't want to start ordering parts on the assumption that they'll work with my specific combination.

Anyone with any experience with this have some input? Anyone able to verify the actual difference between the throw-out bearings/fork combos or know of a shop to contact that may be able to help?

Looking at options, maybe buying a 13BT pressure plate. Looking at photos of stock clutches and it dawned on me that the 14BT clutch (photo below) that I have, the fingers don't look to be angled out much.

If I knew the spec. for the distance from the flywheel surface to the 'finger tips' (where the throw-out bearing interfaces), I could maybe adjust the fingers to engage the bearing at the right point.

P1040649.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom