Isolate a GX 460 keyfob? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

r2m

Richard
Threads
I'd like to keep an extra wireless key fob in my GX 460 and hide the physical key on the exterior. Problem is keeping a key inside and the proximity of the key to the vehicle, the car cannot be locked, or I should say it can be locked but just needs someone to open the door handle.

So my question is: Is there a way to isolate the key fob in a small radio isolated container/package/whatever so it does not "speak" to the car?

I know used car dealers use a small box to put the key fob into and then keep the keys on a lock box on the window of the car so someone can't just walk up to a car, open it and and drive off.

I saw this when I was looking at a 2013 GX 460 (before I bought mine at a Lexus dealer) at CarMax, they have these on their vehicles.

RFID or similar will be your friend. You can get signal blocking cell phone pouches, and I believe that works for what you're trying to do as well. If you wanna be super cheap about it, I would just wrap it in a bunch of aluminum foil and see if that works.

RFID or similar will be your friend. You can get signal blocking cell phone pouches, and I believe that works for what you're trying to do as well. If you wanna be super cheap about it, I would just wrap it in a bunch of aluminum foil and see if that works.
Great idea, I'll try that!

That's really interesting! I wasn't aware that there was such a thing, but again, I'm coming from a 1998 Landcruiser. I'm so last century!

Anyone know if our key fobs can be programed by ourselves or does it have to be done by a dealer?
If so, what's the dance to do it. I know I was able to program my 100 series Landcruiser keys through a series of locks, unlocks, etc, etc, etc. Same with my wife's 2007 Tacoma. I was able to program that myself also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom