Is this the brake booster? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a small fluid leak that seems to be coming from the piece in the 1st photo. It connects back to the handbrake cable junction as indicated in the 2nd photo. Can someone verify for me whether or not this is the brake booster?

if so what does this thing do (aside from boosting the brakes)?

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_6947.JPG

Last edited:
brake booster is on the firewall. that is the load proportioning valve, it is designed to keep desired brake pressure to the rear wheels according to load in the back of the vehicle. if it's leaking you probably want to replace it, not too difficult, there is a bleeder at that part. they are available new.

Ok I got the new load proportioning valve and went to put it in today and now I see that the leak is coming from the rubber booted bushing that connects to the sensor (when I took out the bushing bolt and went to pull back the boot, brake fluid sprayed all over the place). This looks like the part:

should I replace the whole valve or just get the new bushing/boot and save the valve for a rainy day?

upon further reflection, I have decided to just delete the whole damn thing.

The boot is just there to prevent dust/dirt intrusion and fouling of the valve. Pulling back the boot and getting fluid spray would indicate you really need to replace the valve.

Doh, looks like you're just going with a delete.

The proportioning valve helps or even makes your brakes work correctly.
Some folks replaced the factory one with a manual type.

You will have to plug off the return line or delete it entirely.

Last one I did I removed it completely, got the correct brake fitting up near the engine bay without the port of the LSPV and installed a Wilwood proportioning valve. The Wilwood uses a bubble flare but you can fairly easily cut the stock line, depending where you decide to install it and do the bubble flare.

Works real well.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom