Is this acceptable touch up by professional shop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^That stuff really works. I used it myself a lot. I found the syringe with different needles to work the best as it gives me a lot of control. I do need to adjust the paint reduction to best match the needle used and the surface orientation. Using same reduction as for the paint gun is too thin and the paint runs.

Problem is that works only on some of the scratches OP has, like chips and thin/narrow scratches. For the larger areas a sprayer is needed.
My go to tool for that is an airbrush with large enough nozzle (you have to experiment with the paint mixing to get it right for your tool and paint system). I found the detail gun or an aerosol bottle to be too much and hard to do such small jobs right.

To the OP ... the solution you chose depends a lot on your expectations. I'm sure with minimal time and expense you will get a better job than what they did. But the quality will still not be great. If you want a "professional" touchup you have to invest a bit more time and money and get some experience doing it. If you look at it as a learning experience with the expectations adjusted to such (either more time or less quality) then you will be happy and learn valuable skills. For sure these will not be the last scratches and dents your truck will have.

On the other hand if you want high quality and have no time, just have the shop paint the bumper.

^That stuff really works. I used it myself a lot. I found the syringe with different needles to work the best as it gives me a lot of control. I do need to adjust the paint reduction to best match the needle used and the surface orientation. Using same reduction as for the paint gun is too thin and the paint runs.

Problem is that works only on some of the scratches OP has, like chips and thin/narrow scratches. For the larger areas a sprayer is needed.
My go to tool for that is an airbrush with large enough nozzle (you have to experiment with the paint mixing to get it right for your tool and paint system). I found the detail gun or an aerosol bottle to be too much and hard to do such small jobs right.

To the OP ... the solution you chose depends a lot on your expectations. I'm sure with minimal time and expense you will get a better job than what they did. But the quality will still not be great. If you want a "professional" touchup you have to invest a bit more time and money and get some experience doing it. If you look at it as a learning experience with the expectations adjusted to such (either more time or less quality) then you will be happy and learn valuable skills. For sure these will not be the last scratches and dents your truck will have.

On the other hand if you want high quality and have no time, just have the shop paint the bumper.
Awesome feedback. I ended up having them remove and repaint both bumpers and the cladding on the side. Turns out they have a separate recon shop that does more professional touch ups but it wouldn’t have saved me much money. We plan to keep this truck for a long time and my wife preferred this option. I’m pleased with the results and for a 12 yr old truck, the exterior is like new now. Paid $1k total for a point of reference.

I do plan on picking up some of these DIY touch up kits for future small jobs and to touch up a few spots on my ‘04 100 series!

AE8777ED-DBF3-47B1-963B-DD9234D75F4B.jpeg

D6771C55-7EB3-4EF1-945B-EEDD18FD5110.jpeg

Awesome feedback. I ended up having them remove and repaint both bumpers and the cladding on the side. Turns out they have a separate recon shop that does more professional touch ups but it wouldn’t have saved me much money. We plan to keep this truck for a long time and my wife preferred this option. I’m pleased with the results and for a 12 yr old truck, the exterior is like new now. Paid $1k total for a point of reference.

I do plan on picking up some of these DIY touch up kits for future small jobs and to touch up a few spots on my ‘04 100 series!

View attachment 3085700

View attachment 3085701
Bumpers on big SUV’s unfortunately get used a lot. My wife’s expedition has had 3 bumper strikes in the last year. All 3 were not her fault. I’ve had 2 bumper strikes, one on my front bumper, and a hit and run on my rear. My vote going forward is armor. Lots of armor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom