Is the TRD supercharger really that bad for the 4.7? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@ton504 @gungriffin

no name Ebay brand, got the wrong one first go around (looked like it was way wrong in size spec); this one was pretty darn close to oem fit, all but 1 of the fan shroud holes or expansion tank holes I think it was lined up. so far it held up towing 6500 load to socal/back. sprung a leak before trip on top hose but replaced with screw type clamp and its been holding fine.

link: eBay Link to purchase "offer $209"

Fellow 100 series owner (well actually an Lx470 2003 pre fancy engine). I found this in San Diego.

D018F868-F5D8-468E-8CEF-0A855A2B4180.png

I think the $10.5k price is in AUD, which would put the supercharger kit at a still unreasonable $7.5k-ish USD price. I don't know for sure; just giving them the benefit of the doubt. I called them once, left a message, but never heard back, so as far as I'm concerned...no biz from me. Too bad because I want a S/C sooooo bad for my 4.7.

@jeffski1

Mine is always for sale for the right price! My 200 is itching for a set of TE37s lol. Send me a PM if you're interested.

dibs!

So this popped up in my Youtube feed...

Guy is using a Ford blower to supercharge his Lexus LS with the 3UZ engine.

Forgive the lack of reading - what type of supercharger did TRD produce for the 2UZ? I tend to be a 'twin-screw or bust' mindset when it comes to blowers.

Forgive the lack of reading - what type of supercharger did TRD produce for the 2UZ? I tend to be a 'twin-screw or bust' mindset when it comes to blowers.

I think it was some type of Eaton

So this popped up in my Youtube feed...

Guy is using a Ford blower to supercharge his Lexus LS with the 3UZ engine.

That is pretty damn impressive. It makes me wonder if that company makes a bracket for the 2UZ engine. My Land Cruiser supercharger runs somewhere between 5-6 psi and it doesn't have an intercooler either. There is some tuning in a TRD piggyback, but I would imagine someone cracked this ECU long ago. The only major difference is the TRD setup uses a 9th injector. I wonder how necessary this would be though...

That is pretty damn impressive. It makes me wonder if that company makes a bracket for the 2UZ engine. My Land Cruiser supercharger runs somewhere between 5-6 psi and it doesn't have an intercooler either. There is some tuning in a TRD piggyback, but I would imagine someone cracked this ECU long ago. The only major difference is the TRD setup uses a 9th injector. I wonder how necessary this would be though...
They do make the manifold and they’re currently working on a tune for the 2UZ. Finding a blower like this guy did puts supercharging into a completely different arena which makes me consider this for myself.

They do make the manifold and they’re currently working on a tune for the 2UZ. Finding a blower like this guy did puts supercharging into a completely different arena which makes me consider this for myself.

It certainly seems like it could save a few thousand easily over sourcing the parts for a TRD kit at about $4500-$7000. My TRD charger makes the Land Cruiser quite a bit more fun for sure. It has also been on my engine for about 140k miles with no issues. I am at 300k miles on the engine/chassis. I use synthetic oil and I go about 8500 miles between oil changes. In that time there is no discernible drop in the level on the dipstick. In 8500 miles I do use a few ounces of oil that goes through the PCV due the the off boost vacuum. Blackstone actually recommends that I go with a longer oil change interval.

It certainly seems like it could save a few thousand easily over sourcing the parts for a TRD kit at about $4500-$7000. My TRD charger makes the Land Cruiser quite a bit more fun for sure. It has also been on my engine for about 140k miles with no issues. I am at 300k miles on the engine/chassis. I use synthetic oil and I go about 8500 miles between oil changes. In that time there is no discernible drop in the level on the dipstick. In 8500 miles I do use a few ounces of oil that goes through the PCV due the the off boost vacuum. Blackstone actually recommends that I go with a longer oil change interval.
Hopefully you've changed the oil in the SC a few times

Hopefully you've changed the oil in the SC a few times
It has been changed once or maybe twice. The oil change interval is 100k from what I have learned. Interestingly, the previous owner took the supercharger into a shop at about 105k miles (on the SC) to be rebuilt and the shop explained that they would but it would just be a waste of money. It still looked so good. So the PO swapped out the oil (perhaps) again and back on the truck it went. I still have the rebuild kit.

This vehicle has not lived an easy life. It has been well pampered, but it is driven hard. It was driven this way by me, the PO and the owner before that. Especially with the tuning, this vehicle lives to be at the upper end of the RPM range. There are also about 1000 lbs on the truck more than it came from Toyota from all of the other mods. If you are wondering if supercharging makes a difference, the answer is definitely yes.

Oddly, driving the SC in a relaxed fashion will actually cause more issues than driving it hard. This is mainly because of the oil vapor making it into the PCV and pissing off the TB and fouling the spark plugs. I have a oil catch can that I keep meaning to install, but I just haven't done so yet. 3rd gear WOT at 95 mph (indicated) and redline
also helps to clear out the intake of oil :hillbilly:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom