Is the GX 470 right for me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just joined the forum and can't wait for the fun to begin! Currently own a 2011 Tundra TRD 4X4 Double Cab 5.7L

I really like my current truck, except for the gas mileage but am looking for something more oriented for my work. I work in a professional setting and often take guests places. The truck is not suited for this many of the times. I do use my wife's Lexus RX 350 when needed. But I think I am trying to talk myself into either a GX 470/460 or even an LX.

I've been lurking for a while and read a bunch on the GX 470. There is much to like about this platform but I do have some concerns. I really like the power of my 5.7L engine and wonder if I would regret going back to the smaller V8. I also take a lot of calls in the car and the technology of the 470 seems very dated. The other item I am slightly concerned about the timing belt vs. chain. Maybe that isn't such an issue but something I wonder about.

All relevant thoughts and insights welcomed!

TIA

Dan

Gas mileage and Bluetooth are not the strengths of my 2003 Gx470. And I use regular gas instead of premium.

I would suggest looking at the 460 which covers some of the boxes you mentioned (bluetooth, timing chain, modern tech). I think the 460 has slightly more power than the 470 but i doubt it gets better mpg's.

With the 470 or 460 you will have noticeably less power than your Tundra because of 100 or so less HP... I don't know the weight differential. The 470 has more low end grunt off idle than the 460 (which is really good off road) and feels moderately faster 0-60. The 460 has more mid range and total horse power and will have more passing ability at freeway speeds. The 460 has more HP but also weighs 700-1000 + lbs more I believe. I drove a 460 for a week while my 470 was having an air bag recall and found that the smaller 4.6 had significantly less low end pulling away from a stop then the 4.7 despite the 460 having an 6th gear which felt more like an extra OD gear and the first gear not significantly lower so the freeway mileage may be better. Also, the 4.7 has a cast iron block which has proven high mileage reliability and the 4.6 block is alloy (See the You Tube video link of a 470 vs 460 drag race and you can see the difference in power delivery where the 4.6 does not overtake the 4.7 from 0 until 158 KPH which = 98 MPH:

I found the dash and console of the 460 is more modern and I really liked it. Yet, the rest of the interior is only changed slightly and not that much different than the 470 other than perforated leather and cooled seats--which are nice. I did find the 460 door panel very uncomfortable for my left knee and ended up putting a thick sponge between my knee and the door (which was a deal breaker for moving up to a 460). Also, to me, I thought the 470 rear seats were more comfortable than the 460 for some reason but the front about the same. The window on the barn door of the 460 is the only thing I really liked more on the 460. The 460 I drove did not seem to have the KDSS so it handled similar to my 470 and I actually could feel the extra 700 or so pounds on windy roads. Your mileage might vary and you should consider test driving them both.

You can easily find well cared 470s and 460s still but the 460s are more plentiful because they both are newer; and that the 470s have increased in popularity as over landing vehicles as they become know as "The New 80 Series" as the good conditioned older 80 series LC and LX have been gobbled up.

Good luck with your choice as you can't really lose with either choice.

Last edited:
The 460 is a bit more refined, a bit more plush, and a bit more modern - but as mentioned above, a LOT more heavy. The 4.6 is aluminum and is from the car side of the company. The million mile cast iron 4.7 is definitely a truck engine.

I'll echo what everyone else has said. The 460 is a much nicer vehicle, and looks more modern both inside and out, but the reason I chose the 470 is I wanted the capability and relative ease of maintenance that came with the 120 platform. That isn't to say the 460 is a nightmare or anything, but along with the luxury came additional complexity and less aftermarket support. I was looking for a vehicle that could take my whole family offroading (which my Jeeps could no longer do with my growing family), but if that was only a secondary concern behind taking clients and customers around, I'd likely have gone for the 460.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom