Iron Man Suspension for KZJ71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey yall!

I’m new to the 70s section but not new to mud.

I just bought a 1994 KZJ71. Pretty clean truck but suspension is shot.

I am wondering if anyone has put the Iron Man Toyota 70/73/78 suspension kit on their KZJ71 or if anyone knows if it will fit. Part number is TOY048BKG or TOY048BKF.

Link here as well

cheers

i"d give them a quick call! I called them last week and tons of help with my LJ78 build

Can't wait for my 2in lift from them to come in this week
I’ve been chatting with them back and forth - sounds like it could work but they weren’t certain. Thanks!

or if anyone knows if it will fit

I think it will but I have not done it. Have a look at Dobinsons springs site. They are the old masters of coil suspension upgrades for LJ/KZJ7* as they were the first to offer suspension upgrades for these models.

I think it will but I have not done it. Have a look at Dobinsons springs site. They are the old masters of coil suspension upgrades for LJ/KZJ7* as they were the first to offer suspension upgrades for these models.
Thanks man! Will definitely take a look. Truthfully I would prefer dobinsons in general but I just bought the truck and the suspension is shot so I’m looking for a short(er) term fix while I wait for OME or dobinsons

Thanks man! Will definitely take a look. Truthfully I would prefer dobinsons in general but I just bought the truck and the suspension is shot so I’m looking for a short(er) term fix while I wait for OME or dobinsons
Dobinsons pointed me towards their catalog PDF and I found a couple of things there not offered on their main website. I picked up ironman 4x4 2in lift mainly for the labor day sale which I think is still going on

Owners use to stick old 80 series coils in there. That would be cheaper than using the Ironman kit if you plan to use OME or Dobinsons later

Owners use to stick old 80 series coils in there. That would be cheaper than using the Ironman kit if you plan to use OME or Dobinsons later
Good to know. I had read mixed opinions on if that was possible or not. Sounds like some slight modifications need to be made to the coils? I have the short wheelbase version so I wasn’t sure if 80s coils would cause issues with lack of weight.

I wasn’t sure if 80s coils would cause issues with lack of weight.
How I understand it , is that you use old 80 series springs that have been softened up.

How I understand it , is that you use old 80 series springs that have been softened up.

Hey yall!

I’m new to the 70s section but not new to mud.

I just bought a 1994 KZJ71. Pretty clean truck but suspension is shot.

I am wondering if anyone has put the Iron Man Toyota 70/73/78 suspension kit on their KZJ71 or if anyone knows if it will fit. Part number is TOY048BKG or TOY048BKF.

Link here as well

cheers
for what it's worth, I have a 1993 KZJ71. The suspension was also shot. I installed the Ironman springs and shocks. Ride improved dramatically but I found they gave the KZJ71 too much lift for my purposes. So I pulled them off and went with OME springs/shocks/damper from Cruiser Outfitters. Happy with the results. You might want to look at a similar KZJ called Kitzu on this forum.

for what it's worth, I have a 1993 KZJ71. The suspension was also shot. I installed the Ironman springs and shocks. Ride improved dramatically but I found they gave the KZJ71 too much lift for my purposes. So I pulled them off and went with OME springs/shocks/damper from Cruiser Outfitters. Happy with the results. You might want to look at a similar KZJ called Kitzu on this forum.
Do you maybe happen to know the exact OME springs/shocks/damper part numbers they fitted in your KZJ71?

Do you maybe happen to know the exact OME springs/shocks/damper part numbers they fitted in your KZJ71?
yes, here's a link to the kit.
if you look at the Kitzu project on this forum, he also lists the exact part#s in this kit. It is the light/medium kit not the heavy kit. hope this helps.

70/71/73 Series Prado - Light/Medium/Heavy Duty Kit 1-2" Lift

Ultimate L/M Kit (Includes EVERYTHING) Part# OMELJ73
- $950.00

Includes:

2 - Front Old Man Emu Coil Springs
2 - Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber
2 - Rear OME Emu Dakar Coil Springs
2 - Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber
1 - OME Steering Stabilizer

OME 2872 Front Springs - Medium Load
OME Nitrocharger 60089 Front Shocks
OME 2873 Rear Springs - Medium Load
OME Nitrocharger 60090 Rear Shocks
also the steering damper

yes, here's a link to the kit.
if you look at the Kitzu project on this forum, he also lists the exact part#s in this kit. It is the light/medium kit not the heavy kit. hope this helps.

70/71/73 Series Prado - Light/Medium/Heavy Duty Kit 1-2" Lift

Ultimate L/M Kit (Includes EVERYTHING) Part# OMELJ73
- $950.00

Includes:

2 - Front Old Man Emu Coil Springs
2 - Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber
2 - Rear OME Emu Dakar Coil Springs
2 - Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber
1 - OME Steering Stabilizer
Could you provide a link to the Kitzu project you reference? I was unable to find it. I have recently installed the L/M 1" OME kit from cruiser outfitters on my KZJ78 and the rear is slightly higher than the front. Want to see if Kitzu project mentions anything about that happening.

The light/medium OME kit on my 93 KZJ71 does have a difference between the front and rear, just as you describe. The same is true of the Kitsu project from what I can tell looking at the before/after pics. Link below, sorry I spelled "Kitsu" wrong. I was not real happy with the difference in height, maybe when you've a load on they look the same? But the ride is good now, I guess I've gotten used to it. Happy to hear your thoughts.

The light/medium OME kit on my 93 KZJ71 does have a difference between the front and rear, just as you describe. The same is true of the Kitsu project from what I can tell looking at the before/after pics. Link below, sorry I spelled "Kitsu" wrong. I was not real happy with the difference in height, maybe when you've a load on they look the same? But the ride is good now, I guess I've gotten used to it. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Hey thanks for the correction to Kitsu. I was reading through and he mentions initially installing heavy rear springs and got them to send medium instead as the heavy was contributing to the difference in height. I am wondering if that's why its like that on my KZJ78 as I too am unhappy with the difference. I bought some spacers from Cruiser Outfitters to see if it will help. Haven't installed them yet. Will have to let you know if there is a difference once I do but I sent Cruiser Outfitters an email asking about it because I believe I have the heavy kit installed. Have to send them some pics and measurements see if there is anything they can do.

Hey thanks for the correction to Kitsu. I was reading through and he mentions initially installing heavy rear springs and got them to send medium instead as the heavy was contributing to the difference in height. I am wondering if that's why its like that on my KZJ78 as I too am unhappy with the difference. I bought some spacers from Cruiser Outfitters to see if it will help. Haven't installed them yet. Will have to let you know if there is a difference once I do but I sent Cruiser Outfitters an email asking about it because I believe I have the heavy kit installed. Have to send them some pics and measurements see if there is anything they can do.
for what it's worth, the distance from the bottom of the fender to the top of the tire is 3" different between the front and rear on my KZJ71 with the OME L/M kit installed. My KZJ71 has 15" tires/rims, I think most KZJxx have 16" tires. I'd like my rear springs to be 3" lower, making it the same as the front springs.

for what it's worth, the distance from the bottom of the fender to the top of the tire is 3" different between the front and rear on my KZJ71 with the OME L/M kit installed. My KZJ71 has 15" tires/rims, I think most KZJxx have 16" tires. I'd like my rear springs to be 3" lower, making it the same as the front springs.
You're probably better off measuring from axle center to wheel arch, that allows you to compare to other's lifts without having to take different tire sizes into account. I have stock springs with 30mm spacers in the front of my LJ78, and OME Medium 2873's in the rear. I have around 30mm of stinkbug, maybe a bit more. Hoping a set of OME front springs will sort that out without making the front too stiff.

You're probably better off measuring from axle center to wheel arch, that allows you to compare to other's lifts without having to take different tire sizes into account. I have stock springs with 30mm spacers in the front of my LJ78, and OME Medium 2873's in the rear. I have around 30mm of stinkbug, maybe a bit more. Hoping a set of OME front springs will sort that out without making the front too stiff.
front axle center to wheel arch is 21", rear is 24"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom