Intrusive Traction/Stability Control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2007 Tundra and bought it new. The traction/stability control is a safety feature. As such, it has prevented countless uncontrollable instances of oversteer in less than ideal driving conditions. My main complaint is that ever since I got new Toyo M/T 285/75/r18 tires about 3 months ago, the traction control engages whenever I go over an expansion joint while I accelerate(cuts throttle), or basically whenever I don't drive like a limo driver (beeps and pulses ABS when turning). The tires are inflated to 35 PSI as recommended in the Toyo tire pressure chart. I have tried higher and lower pressures and this pressure seems to work best. I would also like to include that the TCS is noticeably more intrusive on this tire than any other tire I have had on the vehicle. Toyo A/T, A/T2, General grabber, and Wrangler M/TR. I have completed the Zero Point Calibration reset and there was no noticeable difference. Is there anything out there that might reduce how intrusive TCS is on these older Tundras without turning it to ALSD (better but still cuts throttle completely if rear end steps out even a little) or completely off (spins only one tire)? I would not like to get different tires quite yet. Anyone have a Limited Slip Carrier-Helical Style rear differential? I welcome feedback on possible ways to make TCS not be so sensitive.

That is possible, local shop installed them. I still have a set of General Grabber AT's 275/65r20 on another set of wheels. TCS works normally with that set up still. Would the ABS light be on if one of the sensors was damaged? Maybe it is just that tread pattern on those Toyo M/T tires but the whole truck feels loose, the steering is not as responsive.

Heck, my traction control “kicks” when my 37’s BFG MT3’s hit the wet street / tar patches (crack bandages until they repave) - in a certain stretch of serious uphill asphalt.

I hear the tire spin where it’s catching grip, then spotty “jitter” acceleration ( lots of patches / segments) -even when I have zero load in the Tundra.

FWIW, my old 35” Toyo MT’s did the exact same thing.

But I just put up w/ it - it’s a pretty steep incline.

If that’s my biggest b!tch of the truck, life is pretty good.

I have done a bit more research and have made some progress. First, tons of people notice that the traction control and vehicle stability control are much more intrusive with Toyo Open Country MT tires. Hands down, that tire generates more complaints than any other tire. For whatever reason, (big open flexible tread pattern) the system goes off more often. Sounds like those BFG MT3 in a 37 makes the truck behave in a similar way.

I re-read the procedure for doing the 'zero point calibration' and related reset procedures 10 times and decided to try it again. Here is what I did. This will 'clear zero point calibration data' 'perform zero point calibration of master cylinder pressure sensor and deceleration sensor' and 'perform initialization of steering angle sensor' According to Toyota, this needs to be done in this order. Toyota indicates that this procedure should be done anytime you change or adjust anything on the suspension. I will also attach Toyota's instructions, but I think mine are clearer.

1. Park truck on absolutely flat ground with the steering wheel completely straight.
2. Disconnect battery, apply brake and release. Reconnect battery.
3. On the OBD 2 connector, put a paper clip in hole 4 and another in hole 12. Make it so you can rotate them to touch each other.
4. Turn ignition to 'on' and quickly touch the paper clips together and release 4 times within 8 seconds (the 'VSC off' light should be on) and then turn off the ignition.
5. Connect the 2 paperclips and keep connected.
6. Turn ignition to 'on'
7. After about 3 seconds you will hear the chime that you hear when skidding.
8. When that chime stops, turn off ignition, then remove paperclips.
9. Wait 90 seconds. disconnect battery, wait more than 2 seconds, reconnect battery.

This made a huge difference in how often VSC activated in corners. TC might be a little less intrusive in moderate to swift acceleration events. I hope it helps others too.

Attachments

• VSC Calibration.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom