Introductions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VGRS is the variable gear ratio steering. Basically at low speeds it takes less steering wheel movement to turn the wheels a given amount, and at high speeds it takes more.
There's a mechanical intermediate shaft controlled by a separate ECU. The truck drives fine, but the steering wheel is off center which is just an annoyance really. I have Techstream and have a couple of codes, but it's not helping me pinpoint the problem because I'm not familiar enough with the whole system and there's just no guidance anywhere online. The car also won't allow me to do the VGRS calibration with the codes present.
I do have the non-VGRS intermediate shaft from a land cruiser. So I may just end up swapping that in and ripping the ECU out, but again there's just no documentation of this ever having been done so I'm going into it blind.

Thanks for that. I've read through all of those threads on VGRS (of which there are very few) and .pdfs and unfortunately they're not particularly helpful.

^^ quote reply didn't seem to work.

I have a VGRS equipped 2003. I had the ECU go bad that led to a VGRS light that could not be reset. When it failed, my steering wheel was off by 90 degrees. I forget what codes I got from Techstream but a new VGRS ECU fixed it. Easy but not cheap though.

Hi, I'm Steve, and I'm new to the club having only joined in January 2021, having just moved to Carson City - kinda still moving, actually...

It all started in '83 when a '73 40 series became my first car in high school. I wrecked it in a rollover outside of Barstow, and later got it put together just enough to sell it and finance one-way plane tickets cross-country to start the beginnings of married life and finish college. Next came a bone stock '87 FJ60 in '92. Over the years it has morphed into a dual-cased 1HZ/T Toyota diesel powered beast on 37's. I picked up a factory-locked '95 80 series in '97, sold that to my wife's sister and husband (they still have it) in '05, and then picked up an '06 100 series the same year. While my two son's learned to drive a stick in that 60, they both wanted an 80 and along the way I picked those up for them, both of them factory locked, both '97's. My wife never did like the 100 series as much as her 80 (and she let me know it...), so a few years ago I grabbed a '97 LX450 offered for sale here on MUD for her that was also factory locked and already sporting 35's (there's quite the fun story about the acquisition of it!). It wasn't lost on her, or me and the boys for that matter, that with that acquisition she had the biggest tires at the time - 35's - while we were all sporting 33's. Having always lamented never again having bought another 40, my wife surprised me with a birthday present in Feb 2020 - said I should buy the '73 offered here on MUD (SOLD - North Mississippi Built 1974 FJ40 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/north-mississippi-built-1974-fj40.1191534/post-12890436) - so I did. With the year of Covid being what it was the 40 never even made it out of the driveway in 2020. Might have been that I didn't want to register it in Cali when I knew I was moving to NV. Fun Fact: Out of all the Cruisers mentioned here, the '06 100 series and the just-new-to-me 40 series are the only ones that have not done the Rubicon. Speaking of the Rubicon, I lead the Wagon Run for TLCA during the Annual Rubithon event each summer. Normally I'd be encouraging you to sign up for it, but with last year's Covid cancellation and the carried-over registrations to 2021, the run is already full. Maybe we can just do it as a club run later in the year?

The Cruiser life is definitely a family affair for us. A little more difficult with the kids growing up and spreading out. But son Justin @justintpryor is here local and part of the club. We've done quite a bit of wrenching together on our trucks, including a full engine rebuild for his 80 early last year just in time to spirit him off on his overlanding honeymoon. Son Johnathan @JohnnyOshow22 is in MT, but he's a Cruiser nut as well. In fact he's wrenching at Overland Cruisers while putting himself through school. To say he knows his way around cruisers now would be an understatement. While my daughter Katelyn isn't into the whole wheeling/camping scene, she does love her '04 4Runner. And points out to her brothers that she has a V8 and they don't! And my wife Andrea is my strongest supporter. She's been with me nearly every time for Rubithon, and even piloted her own 80 over the Rubicon with a little help from her sons. Speaking of wives, the boys' wives are also all into this stuff. And as much as I like the Rubicon, I also love long road trips and just getting out there, even if the trail isn't necessarily difficult. I've made some pretty big loops in the area that is west of the Rockies and between the borders, and there is still so, so much more to see.

I'm really looking forward to having a club to participate in, but more specifically, to making new friends in this awesome Toyota community.

View attachment 2583396
Andrea on the Rubicon, here, just leaving Buck Island lake headed towards the Springs.

View attachment 2583399
@justintpryor on the Rubicon, here getting all twisty on the last obstacle before reaching Buck Island lake.

View attachment 2583404
@JohnnyOshow22 on the Rubicon for the first time, and after much rock stacking and a lot of spotting, clears the rocks downslope of Decision Tree (which just blew down this winter :frown:) in Big Sluice.

View attachment 2583405
Me on the Rubicon, leading @justintpryor in the white 80 and my wife and @JohnnyOshow22 in her black 80 as we begin the drop into the slabs leading into Buck Island lake.

View attachment 2583410
Me enjoying yet another breathtaking sunset at Saline Warm Springs in Death Valley.

Welcome to NV Steve! I didn't know you guys were considering moving here. Looking forward to catching up on the Rubicon and at a club meeting. Maybe we can plan a late summer Dusy Ershim run too. I'm overdue for another run on that trail.

Kris

^^ quote reply didn't seem to work.

I have a VGRS equipped 2003. I had the ECU go bad that led to a VGRS light that could not be reset. When it failed, my steering wheel was off by 90 degrees. I forget what codes I got from Techstream but a new VGRS ECU fixed it. Easy but not cheap though.
Yea, it has to be either the ECU or the intermediate shaft. Both are not cheap. I wonder if swapping in someone's good VGRS ECU as a test would be easy to do. I think there are 2-3 plugs and a couple screws.

ECU removal is 20 min. Rare to see intermediate shaft failures.

Welcome to NV Steve! I didn't know you guys were considering moving here. Looking forward to catching up on the Rubicon and at a club meeting. Maybe we can plan a late summer Dusy Ershim run too. I'm overdue for another run on that trail.

Kris
Thanks, Kris! Still have yet to do Dusy - maybe this year is the year?!?

Would you be willing to meet up and swap ECUs with me to see if it fixes my issue? Beers on me!

Sure. I'll PM you for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom