Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If interested, you can get the stainless CV clamps from McMaster-Carr. Identical to Pfrans and have several for later. 5ea. Cat.# 5574K25, 4"-4 1/4" $8.57 10ea. Cat.# 5574K16, 1"-1 5/8" $10.64 Shipping would be a few dollars.

Thanks brother! Looking that up now.

image-57739723.jpg

image-3812581952.jpg

My poser Mall Krawler pics from this weekend.

image-57739723.jpg

image-3812581952.jpg

Got quoted at the local Toyota dealer today for Timing Belt service($350) and Front Brake Service($120). Do these prices sound reasonable? I'm capable of doing all this myself just don't have some of the special tools... Setting bearing preload and what not

Those prices sound too cheap for a dealer

The belt might be 350. But the installed would be a grand.

...via IH8MUD app

billy isnt in service. but he's on here.

:hmm:
So I finally pulled the trigger and had the timing belt replaced at 100K today. Services performed:

Timing Belt replaced
Accessory Drive Belt replaced (belt provided by me)
Oil and Filter Change (Mobile 1 Oil and Filter provided by me because it is much cheaper at Costco)
Vehicle Inspection

Total came to $413 after various discounts

They advised that the water pump, pulleys and cam seals are all fine with no fluid seeping out.

Fair price?

I thought the timing belt ran in the thousand dollar ball park... if its sub $500 that puts a 100 series back on my radar. I can do brakes/filter changes/CVs but timing belts/any real engine works scares me.
having to immediately pay for a timing belt has been my biggest turn off on vehicles with the 4.6 or 4.7v8s, and why I love the toyota 4.0 v6 (timing chain)

:hmm: I thought the timing belt ran in the thousand dollar ball park... if its sub $500 that puts a 100 series back on my radar. I can do brakes/filter changes/CVs but timing belts/any real engine works scares me. having to immediately pay for a timing belt has been my biggest turn off on vehicles with the 4.6 or 4.7v8s, and why I love the toyota 4.0 v6 (timing chain)

If I choose to let the dealer do the TB with all the parts I've bought it adds up to right at $1000

I can do brakes, I've done them on all my vehicles... Honda CRX Si, 350Z, 2001 XJ... I just don't have some of the special tools needed to work on the LC. I will eventually have to acquire them, but for now I want this $hit taken care of.

Slow your roll.
Call Carl's Car Care up here in Cahaba Heights, behind The Summit SHopping center. They just as competent as a dealership if not more-so.

Changing a timing belt is not as difficult as it is time consuming. The worst part is bending over the radiator for so long and doing it in the correct order. I'd rather change a transmission laying on my back. Two people can do it easily. One doing the work and the other supervising. Removing the camshaft pulley nut takes some finesse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom