Intro to me and my 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi to all, I live on the sunny South Coast of New South Wales in Australia and am doing just what the instructions said and posting an introductory thread about myself and my Cruiser.
Im 66 and retired, mainly because I was forced into redundancy and was unable to find work (age discrimination is alive and well in Australia).
I have had 5 Land Cruisers over the years and all have been exceptionally reliable and tough vehicles. My first was probably my favourite, although the ride was pretty rough and may well have caused me a few of the aches and pains I've been getting in my old age. It was a BJ40 which is of course the Diesel SWB hardtop with the 3.0 litre 4 cylinder engine. It was an amazing little truck and would go just about anywhere you pointed it. When my first born was on the way reluctantly I parted with the 40 and upgraded to a 60 Series 4.0 Diesel which served me well for a number of years till I decided to trade it in on an 80 series Diesel. It was a non turbo with the 1HZ engine which was a huge leap forward in comfort with the 4 coil suspension. Once again I decided it was time to upgrade and I bought a 105 Series, again with the 4.2 litre 1HZ Diesel. It was a manual as all the others had been, but I found it to be very slow and lazy, particularly when towing so had a Turbo put on and, although it made a big difference it was still like driving around in a bus. I sold the 105 and bought a 6.0 litre Holden Commodore SS sedan which I still own and love to this day. Holden Australia actually exported the same car to the U.S as a Pontiac which I believe was used by the Highway Patrol as they were in Australia. Fantastic machines that go like a scalded cat and are super reliable. As I said I still have my Commodore and will keep it for as long as I can but I needed something to tow a caravan with so that my wife and I can get some travelling in before we get too old to enjoy it so I ended up buying a very tidy 100 series with relatively low kilometres for it's age and excellent bodywork.
So, after boring you to death with my car history here are the details of my Cruiser. It is a 2004 100 Series GXL wagon with the mighty 1HDFTE engine and a 5 speed manual box. It has an ARB bull bar and side step combo, 2" lift, DP Chip, 3" PPD Stainless exhaust, GME UHF radio, Pioneer DVD deck with reversing camera, Runva 11XP Premium winch, Titan drawers, LED headlight conversion and LED light bar and spot lights. It runs like a clock and performs very nicely.

Sorry to bore you to death but there you have it.

IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG

Welcome!

I wrote a snarky post about how I couldn't really tolerate the fact that you get to have all of the dream cruisers that we can't get in north America, but I thought better of it. I am Jealous, but this is supposed to be a friendly place.:doh::doh:

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I'm sure you have a few things to teach us.:beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:
G'day Rusty Panels have you ever driven a 100 Series with the 4.7L V-8 petrol engine? If so how does it compare to the same vehicle with the 1HD-FTE?

G'day Rusty Panels have you ever driven a 100 Series with the 4.7L V-8 petrol engine? If so how does it compare to the same vehicle with the 1HD-FTE?
My mate has one and I have to say that I reckon the diesel would eat the V8 in most cases. He just can't get the torque in the right places and on steep hilly areas the Diesel eats him for breakfast. Not to mention the fact that he has to pull into re-fuel when I still have 1/3 of a tank left. His V8 is an auto and mine is a manual so there's no way I can change gear as quickly but, I reckon as far as grunt goes the diesel isn't that far behind and is surprisingly quick off the mark. Having said that, you can't beat the sound of a V8.

Welcome!

I wrote a snarky post about how I couldn't really tolerate the fact that you get to have all of the dream cruisers that we can't get in north America, but I thought better of it. I am Jealous, but this is supposed to be a friendly place.:doh::doh:

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I'm sure you have a few things to teach us.:beer::beer::beer:
Thanks for the welcome. We have been lucky and had a pretty good choice of Toyota variants over the years despite the fact that we are a relatively small market.

Welcome, also just retired in 2019, also got a 2004 LC in 2020, it is my hobby as I go about restoring and maintaining it.
Last year this month I drove across the country and put 5k miles on it without any problems.

I'm also jealous of the engine in your Land Cruiser (though I'm lazy and like my auto trans). Looks like a clean rig that you have dialed in for all that you need/want it to do!

Bore us to death or make us jealous af?

Hi to all, I live on the sunny South Coast of New South Wales in Australia and am doing just what the instructions said and posting an introductory thread about myself and my Cruiser.
Im 66 and retired, mainly because I was forced into redundancy and was unable to find work (age discrimination is alive and well in Australia).
I have had 5 Land Cruisers over the years and all have been exceptionally reliable and tough vehicles. My first was probably my favourite, although the ride was pretty rough and may well have caused me a few of the aches and pains I've been getting in my old age. It was a BJ40 which is of course the Diesel SWB hardtop with the 3.0 litre 4 cylinder engine. It was an amazing little truck and would go just about anywhere you pointed it. When my first born was on the way reluctantly I parted with the 40 and upgraded to a 60 Series 4.0 Diesel which served me well for a number of years till I decided to trade it in on an 80 series Diesel. It was a non turbo with the 1HZ engine which was a huge leap forward in comfort with the 4 coil suspension. Once again I decided it was time to upgrade and I bought a 105 Series, again with the 4.2 litre 1HZ Diesel. It was a manual as all the others had been, but I found it to be very slow and lazy, particularly when towing so had a Turbo put on and, although it made a big difference it was still like driving around in a bus. I sold the 105 and bought a 6.0 litre Holden Commodore SS sedan which I still own and love to this day. Holden Australia actually exported the same car to the U.S as a Pontiac which I believe was used by the Highway Patrol as they were in Australia. Fantastic machines that go like a scalded cat and are super reliable. As I said I still have my Commodore and will keep it for as long as I can but I needed something to tow a caravan with so that my wife and I can get some travelling in before we get too old to enjoy it so I ended up buying a very tidy 100 series with relatively low kilometres for it's age and excellent bodywork.
So, after boring you to death with my car history here are the details of my Cruiser. It is a 2004 100 Series GXL wagon with the mighty 1HDFTE engine and a 5 speed manual box. It has an ARB bull bar and side step combo, 2" lift, DP Chip, 3" PPD Stainless exhaust, GME UHF radio, Pioneer DVD deck with reversing camera, Runva 11XP Premium winch, Titan drawers, LED headlight conversion and LED light bar and spot lights. It runs like a clock and performs very nicely.

Sorry to bore you to death but there you have it.

View attachment 3051345View attachment 3051346

Welcome to you and your nice-looking and very well set up truck -- and good to see another 1HD-FTE 4.2 litre straight 6-cylinder turbodiesel on the Forum -- and with 5-speed manual transmission, this vehicle is indestructible and should last close to forever!! Likewise retired, I started with a petrol (gasoline on this forum) FJ40 in the last century -- and now have Land Cruiser #10, an LC200 with 1VD-FTV 4.5 litre V8 Diesel, acquired just before Toyota gave birth to the LC300. I did cheat through the years with a few work-related vehicles which I did not have to buy! My last LC100 (2006 Sahara with 1HD-FTE -- and AHC/TEMS suspension, rare here on LC100, universal on LX470} -- remains in the family but was transferred from Brisbane QLD (East Coast Australia) to Perth WA (4,315 kilometres = 2,681 miles to West Coast Australia). This happened immediately after Mrs IndroCruise relented and I was allowed spend the nest egg and the kids' inheritance on a new car! The young 16 years old LC100 will roam around Western Australia with the extended family for at least the next 10 years and then some.
Enjoy your 'new' truck!

LC100 Roaming.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom