Intro post--new member from DFW, TX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HSTexan

GOLD Star
Threads
Hey y'all--new member from DFW making my intro post. With all the craziness in our lives the past few years and other milestones (new house!) my wife and I have put off getting new cars. We finally hit a point where the time is right and she just got hers 3 months ago so figure I need to start researching and narrowing down what I'm looking for which has led me here. I got a 4th gen 4Runner to mess around with about 5 years ago and have loved it dearly so I always thought I wanted to get a newer TRD Pro when the time came to upgrade. I am conflicted because I am attracted to all the creature comforts of the Limited trim, but hate the aesthetics and low bumpers/terrible clearance. I've also been disappointed with the engine and transmission in the 4Runner--while reliable, it is extremely underpowered and I find it difficult to pass when it's loaded down for trips as well as find the right gear when cruising with any elevation changes.

The Land Cruiser seems to solve the issues I have with the 4Runner in that it has a powerful V8, tech galore, every off-road feature Toyota offers, and a storied history of capability and reliability. It is really a vehicle I could see myself driving for the next 20 years before passing it down and that makes it well worth the money IMO.

I think I've let the looks get the better of me and have decided on the Heritage Edition for the blacked out headlights and darkened chrome--however, I want to take a look at the 3rd row in person to see if it's something I want to consider. I don't need it, but it would be handy to have in the "emergency" situation when family comes to visit and we need to run to dinner.

The primary purpose of this vehicle will be daily driver around the metroplex, kid hauler in the near future, weekend camping/exploration trips, and we have a goal to visit every national park (visiting roughly 2 per year right now). Additionally, I take one big hunting trip out west every fall/winter. The comfort of the LC seems to blow any 4Runner out of the water while remaining just as capable if not more while offroad. Look forward to learning as much as I can here and sharing my future build.

The HE in 2021 now can be optioned with 3rd row. So have cake and eat it too in your case. For me I like 3rd row...better have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Now if you’re gonna put in drawers etc then skip it.

There is a significant difference in fuel economy too between LC and 4Runner.

The other solution you may consider is the GX 460 which has more comforts than the limited 4runner while also having a V8 and a 6 speed trans. It's not a full blown land cruiser, but gets you most of the way there.

Definitely don't look away from the GX in addition to the LX.

greetings from DFW - let me know if you want a second set of eyes on anything.

The HE in 2021 now can be optioned with 3rd row. So have cake and eat it too in your case. For me I like 3rd row...better have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Now if you’re gonna put in drawers etc then skip it.

There is a significant difference in fuel economy too between LC and 4Runner.
I did see that the 3rd row was an option--I'm just not entirely sure I want to sacrifice the cargo space 99% of the time so I wanted to see how useable the would even be. My 4Runner actually gets pretty terrible gas mileage so I'm pretty used to it; I've been averaging around 14/17 since I've owned it. Before the 4Runner I used to daily drive a single turbo MKIV Supra which got closer to 11/15

I did see that the 3rd row was an option--I'm just not entirely sure I want to sacrifice the cargo space 99% of the time so I wanted to see how useable the would even be. My 4Runner actually gets pretty terrible gas mileage so I'm pretty used to it; I've been averaging around 14/17 since I've owned it. Before the 4Runner I used to daily drive a single turbo MKIV Supra which got closer to 11/15
Then you will be right at home! :D

I think you are making a great decision on getting a LC. There just isn't anything that drives and performs the way they do -- in all purposes mentioned in your post. I also think getting the third row is important for those times when you want to haul a crowd and for the resale value.

Heads up... I recently upgraded to a 2021 LC Base to have the last year of production in the US. I live in Houston and called just about every dealership in TX looking for the best deal. Most of them wanted MSRP or close to it, especially on the HE models. I ended up getting $5k off MSRP which I think is a decent deal for these parts.

Good luck and welcome to the group!

I did see that the 3rd row was an option--I'm just not entirely sure I want to sacrifice the cargo space 99% of the time so I wanted to see how useable the would even be.

If it helps, the 200-series being a larger vehicle, I think you'll find storage with the 3rd row in place will be comparable to the 4Runner without any 3rd row. The width, height, and depth are all increased over the 4R. The height in particular on the 4R I use to own I found pretty constraining.

An option that some use is to remove only half the 3rd row seating. Enabling more space and the possibility of half drawers.

I have owned three 5th Gen 4Runners, two GX460's and two 200 series trucks. We currently have a 2019 Lexus GX460 and a 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser. I have to agree with you in regards to the 4Runner drivetrain leaving a lot to be desired. While it is reliable and dependable it certainly lacks the getup and go at highway speeds one would expect and it's down right awful when towing anything heavier than 1500-2000 lbs. The GX460 is simply a fancier 5th Gen with a better drivetrain, it isn't light years ahead of the 5th Gens 4.0L/5-speed, but the 4.6L/6-speed is much better at speed and while towing. It always feels like it's in the right gear and it has enough power to not feel under powered when lifted and running larger tires. It won't afford you anymore room or size than a 5th Gen but it definitely feels more refined in every way. Aside from the looks I would pick the GX over the 5th Gen every single time.

The 200 series is definitely in another league when compared to that of the 150 series trucks but the price reflects that difference. More room, better ride, more power, better towing capability, more comfort, it's just better. If your pocketbook can afford it then there's little to complain about other than the slightly worse fuel economy but that's a common theme with any of these trucks. There are far less 200's out there than the other two 150 series trucks so factor that in when searching for a used unit.

Surprisingly enough, I prefer the smaller GX for a daily when running around town, it's just easier to drive in traffic and park on busy streets and its smaller size is an advantage off-road as well. I have never felt as if I wished for more when off-road in the GX, it's the perfect size and capability for most anything you can throw at it short of full-on rock crawling. If you are going to be running kids around town and have no more than two then the GX/5th Gen will suit you just fine so long as you don't take everything but the kitchen sink with you when you travel. A family of five or more and I'd prefer the 200 series if not something even larger. Should you plan to tow a mid size travel trailer then I'd favor the 200 as well, it's a better platform for towing from the chassis up. While it is bigger than the 150 series, it isn't exponentially larger and when comparing the two side by side you'd be surprised just how similar in size they really are, especially on the inside.

Cost of ownership should be similar amongst the three but parts for the 200 series will cost more. Aftermarket is great for all of them with the 5th Gen taking the cake in that area. 5th Gens are likely the easiest to come by purely based on numbers built and GX's are readily available in your neck of the woods but their popularity has sky rocketed in the past few years so expect slightly higher prices than before. I don't need to tell you what's going on with the 200's at the moment, but it's not the best time to be in the market for one, that said, if buying new it's now or never haha.

Figure out your must haves and set a budget and see what fits best. All of the above should easily last you 15+ years with proper maintenance but only one of them is known for being around that long and even much longer so if that's your game plan I'd go straight for the 200. Best of luck with your decision and the ensuing search.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom