Interesting 80 Series Solar Roof Rack and Tire Carrier from "Prepper Racks" - Anyone ever heard of these guys? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I spotted a 'new' to me company on the internet today called Prepper Racks (HOME) - Apparently located in El Paso, TX. Anyone heard of them before?
They make an intriguing roof rack for FJ80s that can include retractable solar panels that pull out... Out of curiosity I've requested pricing info (since who knows if Bowfin will ever have racks in stock again...)
The website design is, well, lacking to say the least... But they have some interesting other products such as in inexpensive fold down spare tire carrier for FJ80's that does not require the addition of a new bumper... FJ-80. I swear I saw this tire carrier on eBay the other day for about $180, but it's gone now, but seems like a low budget solution for carrying a bigger spare than will fit under the truck.

I have often thought this might be a good option to store a panel like the removable table offered by equipt1 expedition outfitters. I have also seen a company that offers flexible solar that mounts on the hood like a hood blackout that requires less wiring but although at lower ratings. expensive but easy at 90 watts. see this Land Cruiser 80 & 100 Series/Lexus LX450 & 470 VSS System™ 90 Watt Hood Solar Panel

I was looking at easy storage options for bulky items like solar to top off batteries and charge when parked for a fridge.

The only problem with a vehicle mounted solar panel, is that you have to park in the sun, which in the desert isn't that big of deal because there isn't any. But when there is shade it sure is nice to use it. @Mogwai got a nice 100W panel from Rockpals and just made a 30ft extention cord and you can chase the sun all day while parked in the nice cool shade.

The only problem with a vehicle mounted solar panel, is that you have to park in the sun, which in the desert isn't that big of deal because there isn't any. But when there is shade it sure is nice to use it. @Mogwai got a nice 100W panel from Rockpals and just made a 30ft extention cord and you can chase the sun all day while parked in the nice cool shade.
It's 25' :cool:

I got a prompt response from Prepper Racks today regarding pricing and have asked a few more questions about mounting and solar panels...

The tire carrier for the FJ80 is ready for shipping and is $170 not including shipping

The basic roof rack with the LED Light bar is $451.41

Solar roof rack with:

1 solar panel is $721.94

2 solar panels $873.22

3 solar panels $1,049.50

4 solar panels $1,455.06

I have inquired further with regard to aluminum or steel construction, make/model/wattage of solar panels, and shipping to Escondido area. But all in all the rack seems very affordable; IF it's well made and of quality materials.

Excellent point, well taken! Plus you can tilt and aim the panel(s) for max efficiency!

Yeah I made mine by going to Ralph's and seeing what he had lying around 😝 Anyway, thanks for the cable!!

The only good reason I can see for a hood or hard mounted panel is if you have a parasitic draw and need to keep your truck trickle charging while parked. Otherwise def better to go mobile for many reason, the biggest one J hit on, why park in the sun if you don't have to, and when the sun move you can tilt and move with it (if you even need to).

Justin what about the Merlin? Top notch for sure for those w/ deeper pockets.

I did get a little higher end, higher output panel. The Merlin 170W foldable, it kicks ass, but its on the high side $650. It is built for longer term in and out of rigs with a 5 year warranty and 25,000 folding cycles on the buss's. Its definitely well built.

20200723_183553.jpg

But if your running tracks all day and keeping all the batteries charged up, the solar system should just assist the system. For the 80 series the second battery and the upgraded alternator should work just fine. If your camping in one spot or lots of shade all day or multiple days then yes the movable panel makes sense. Just my .02

If the truck is on the alternator will provide way more juice than you'll draw with a fridge or whatever, no need for solar when the truck is moving.

Edit: Oh maybe you're just saying if you're driving everyday you don't need much solar to begin with, this is true. Limiting the percent drain on a battery is a good thing though so every bit helps when you're parked.

@Mogwai now you can run that window AC unit you've been longing for.

But if your running tracks all day and keeping all the batteries charged up, the solar system should just assist the system. For the 80 series the second battery and the upgraded alternator should work just fine. If your camping in one spot or lots of shade all day or multiple days then yes the movable panel makes sense. Just my .02
I run a 100 AH Northstar battery which will give me 12 - 14 hrs of fridge run time before I get down to 12.2V (50%) which is typically overnight on a warm summer night and If I'm staying for the day I definitely need the panel to top off my battery, which by noon (with good sun) I'm fully charged which is when I charge all of my other battery powered devices with the excess power, which keep me fully sustainable (until I run out of beer). But you're right, if you're just overnighting, and wheeling the next day I usually don't bother putting it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom