Intake Boot Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was up on the rim a couple weeks back and the morning start showed rough idle and running. A quick check over the engine compartment revealed that the intake boot has cracked almost all the way around about two inches from the intake end. I fixed it temporarily with some aluminium tape but will need to replace this. Im wondering if anyone here can point me at a tech article for replacing this bendy snorkle thing with 3" tubes and hose clamps? Can i do it this way or do i need to find a less broken piece of plastic? or?

My buddy fixed his with some metal duct coupling, worked out really good instead of buying a new one like I did. :doh:

They start as soft flexible rubber and 15 years of AZ heat later, it turns into a black ceramic :D

bad rubber beats rust issues every day of the week - go AZ!

Lasted 2 years

Mine did the same thing, broke almost all the way around..
DuctTape lasted almost 2 years :hillbilly: But I was always worried it would come loose or break in another place.

Replaced a month ago when I had to order some other items from cdan... I can't believe how flexible and soft the rubber is supposed to be compared to the old one! :eek::eek:

Mine lasted 13 years.. So might as well replace it and forget about it for another 13 :cheers:

Mine lasted 13 years.. So might as well replace it and forget about it for another 13 :cheers:

Yep, if it is leaking, you are sucking dirt directly into the motor, so relatively important part.

^^^^agreed. That's a critical part. You might be able to booty fab something that will work, but it likely won't last. It's best to bite the bullet and be done with it.

I broke mine this weekend while replacing the valve cover gasket, despite being very careful. You could make a strong argument that replacing this hose should be a preventative maintenance item.

The challenge with a home-made option is that the diameter at the air cleaner is larger than at the throttle bottle, so you need to taper or neck it down.

If you decide to go new, part number is 17881-66080, Air Cleaner Hose. List price is $109, but a smart shopper could better. The new ones are so soft and flexible.

If you decide to go new, part number is 17881-66080, Air Cleaner Hose. List price is $109, but a smart shopper could better. The new ones are so soft and flexible.

Copper State Cruiser price at Camelback Toyota = $78.56
Not cheap but good investment for your engine...

79$ is not a bad price at all.
Was not looking for a backwoods engineering solution so much as to see if anyone had fabricated a replacement with something like what the turbo ricers use to do intercooler piping. 3" mandrel bent aluminium/stainless with silicone couplers.

I looked into doing just that, but would be about the same price as doing the OEM piece, a bit less if one used aluminium. The problem, as I see it, is that with a metal solution there will be some amount of heat soak due to the conductivity of the pipe. Right now Im looking at a one piece 3" silicone tube as a possible alternative, just need to take some length and angle measurements and then decide if its worth replacing a system that has worked well for almost two decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom