Intake Air Connector hose broken/Code P0304 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ProvoCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
My 1999 100 series started to run rough and the check engine light started to flash on and off. I ran the scan gauge and the code was P0304, which according to what I have researched is a misfire in cylinder 4. I took a look under the hood and found a broken hose. Could this be the cause of the misfire? Or would the broken hose be unrelated to the misfire?

This isn't a pic of my engine bay, but I circled the hose that is damaged. The larger hose that is oriented towards the cab of the cruiser. It looks like in order to replace the part, I have to replace the entire intake air assembly which is $500 on toyotas website. Yes I'll look elsewhere for a more economical part.
Thanks in advance for assistance!
intake air.JPG

Thats what I am assuming...I will start with the coil pack and go from there

You’ll have to move the air box out of the way to access that coil pack.

In case you don’t know how to do this: First disconnect all the small hoses to the air box, then remove the 10mm bolts holding the air box to the engine. Disconnect the large intake tube from the air filter housing and loosen the large hose clamp at the throttle body intake to rotate the air box up out of the way.

I found a similar issue on my new-to-me 98 LX. The nipple had been broken off clean with the end still in the hose. The glue job wasn't very good and broke off in my hand before I even noticed it, though the hose would never have come off without destroying the repair anyway. I also think the leaky joint had been contributing to some problems I had.

I used a Threaded Male Adapter Nipple Fitting from Lowes with very similar inner and outer diameter to my original to replace the factory nipple. They stock a smaller diameter tube that might work, or you may need to experiment to find something similar or add threads to an appropriate metal tube, but I am happy with my repair and have no qualms about picking the whole assembly up by the new nipple that uses no epoxy.

I used a pipe cutter to cut off the right length, an adapter with a hexagonal head that I threaded onto the end being cut so I could grip it with a wrench as I turned it in the cutter, and a die grinder with a burring bit to open up the plastic just enough to begin threading the nipple into the hole (after being sure I got the shavings out). Those pipe threads are tapered which helped get it stated and resulted in a super-secure fitting. To insert the nipple I wrapped the smooth portion in gaffer tape which protected it and gave a good grip while I twisted it in with pliers. (The same method could have been used to grip the pipe while cutting too, instead of the threaded adapter I used)

I considered getting a pipe thread tap to cut the threads in the intake resonator, but there was no need. The nipple threaded itself very well. Originally I planned to epoxy it, but it's amazingly strong and air tight. It even left a bit of a ridge on the end of the nipple like an original fitting would have had.

TjDq9Mp.jpg

zVQfAJq.jpg

D1crAs4.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the part number is for the hose that connects to the nipple in question?

I'm seeing some conflicting dates at different sources, but as best I can tell it is:

1998 - 06/2001: 1226250030
06/2001 - 2007: 1226250080

The earlier number doesn't look to be officially superseded and is still available, but I see plenty of references that the newer part is compatible all the way back to 98. I'm not aware of any differences in the resonators or valve covers where the hose connects, so it's a little odd because I'd expect the old number to be cancelled. Anyway I guess I'd go with the above dates, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
appreciate it!

@Qtonic this is perfect and exactly what I’m looking for— I accidentally snapped off the same nipple the other night changing a coil pack in the cold weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom