Installing old-type birfs in a '96 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the seller didn't know whether these birfields were for the newer models and I didn't know either. I bought them 2 years ago so at that time my cruiser knowledge was smaller.

When I disassembled my birfs and made a side by side comparison, they were longer than the ones I bought, so when one installed the drive plate there was also space for the C-clip. The old-style birfs are shorter an when pulled out completely they are basically flush with the drive plate.

I thought 'who cares' and proceeded with the install. If I had known earlier I would have spot welded the splines of the inner axle a'la Marlin, but it was already late, icy and a bit snowy. I didn't want to pop off the spring around the axle seal either so once the birf enterd the housing, it was there to stay.

I used the hole in the outer part of the birf and screwed in a big washer with a smaller one as a spacer. Well' the washer was not big enough so I had to weld a few spots so that it wouldn't enter past the drive plate. I don't know if it's good or not, but the birfs fit well and have very little side movement, just as if I had the C-clip. Within a few days I will buy bigger washers just to get rid of the ones with welds (just for aesthetics).

What to you think anyway? I know that it's better to have the right birfs but I'm curious how these will hold up. Below are some pics.
birf1.jpg
birf2.jpg
birf3.jpg

As long as the spacing is correct, the bolt and washer will work fine, that is how some of the ifs rigs are setup. IIRC Aisin hubs will work with the early birfs, so that is an option.

You can buy the shorter drive flange that goes with those birfields. IIRC, the Cruiserdan price is ~$40

-B-

I ran into this same problem over the weekend. I just used a fender washer. Fits perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom