Installing MXT-275 in 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a Midland MXT-275 GMRS mobile radio and am planning on installing it this weekend. It's small, with all the controls on the microphone. I was wondering if I could mount the base in the engine compartment on the firewall, or if it would be too hot in there for the electronics. I was also thinking of mounting it behind the dash somewhere if there's room behind the radio head unit.

If anyone has any good locations please let me know.

I bought a Midland MXT-275 GMRS mobile radio and am planning on installing it this weekend. It's small, with all the controls on the microphone. I was wondering if I could mount the base in the engine compartment on the firewall, or if it would be too hot in there for the electronics. I was also thinking of mounting it behind the dash somewhere if there's room behind the radio head unit.

If anyone has any good locations please let me know.
Under the driver’s seat is a much better location. The engine bay heat would be too harsh on the electronics. Pull the seat, remove the door sill, slide a piece of plywood under the carpet, screw mount the radio through the carpet and into the plywood. It’ll stay in place wonderfully.

I already have a radio under the driver's seat. I put the antenna on the lift door on the passenger side because the other radio's antenna is on the driver's side.

I took off the glove box door and looked behind the radio and there isn't enough space back there. I'm either going to have to mount it under the dash or on the console.

I already have a radio under the driver's seat. I put the antenna on the lift door on the passenger side because the other radio's antenna is on the driver's side.

I took off the glove box door and looked behind the radio and there isn't enough space back there. I'm either going to have to mount it under the dash or on the console.
Where did you end up putting the mxt-275?

It fits perfectly in the ashtray if you remove the metal brackets that the ashtray slides on. Post 2 Has some pictures of where I mounted one in my 96.

I’ve since moved it to the center console to make room for some additional switches using wits end useless ashtray insert.

Yesterday I finally got it all hooked up. I have it between the emergency brake and console.

The antenna wire goes along the right side, up behind the glove box and behind where the radio is. It comes out by the driver's footwell and runs under the plastic surrounding the shifters. The power wire runs under that plastic and under the dash, through the grommet and is grounded to the fender, and runs off the battery.

I have the Midland 6db gain antenna mounted to a Diamond K400S NMO lip mount attached to the passenger side of my lift gate.

So far it sounds good and seems to pick up great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom