GMRS or HAM in your 80's ashtray? What fits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ISO:
Ham, GMRS or dual radio that fits the opening of the ashtray in the LX450/ FZJ80,
Who has photos or recommendations?
Thank you in advance!

Midland Mxt275 gmrs fits nicely (in the later cruiser ashtray slot) if you pull the black plastic brackets out of it. You can easily undo it if you need to.

B6C2D92A-3239-4EF6-AB64-76E4C8E16A81.jpeg

FFAE8736-CD24-4E0D-BFD3-1853E3D63E4D.jpeg

7490D665-FC0E-426D-8FE0-8B4489CE8FBB.jpeg

C117B258-0880-44C1-A268-5119987F0539.jpeg

37E20254-18A8-45C9-8BF7-D217E2CEFA8E.jpeg

I believe the unit in the picture I posted (mxt115) is the same size as the one made to be hidden.
The 115 is .1” taller that the 275 so both would fit.

Confirmation it will fit.

Last edited:
I run a dual channel VR-N7500.
It lives under my seat, the mic is wireless and my cell phone, through blue tooth, runs the channels.
Amazon product ASIN B084D3V4MJ
Leaves the ashtray for collecting small treasures I find, like a little rubber snake that scares the crap out of my wife when she opens the ashtray to stuff a candy wrapper in it.

Last edited:
Just as an FYI, if you go with the Midland, you'll go down the rabbit hole of 15W vs 40W. More power (generally) equates to more distance. I bring this up because Midland has already announced a 50W successor for both the MXT275 and MXT400. Both new units are in exactly the same case, but boast a 50W rating. They are supposed to hit the market in the coming weeks. Google the MXT575 and MXT500. And don't forget you'll need a GMRS license.

Speaker location may be an issue unless you’re installing a remote one.
I was curious about that so turned off the mic speaker and used the base speaker. It was not as crisp but was still clear.

I was curious about that so turned off the mic speaker and used the base speaker. It was not as crisp but was still clear.
The display can be flipped which allows a couple of options on the speaker. (Up or down)

Just as an FYI, if you go with the Midland, you'll go down the rabbit hole of 15W vs 40W. More power (generally) equates to more distance. I bring this up because Midland has already announced a 50W successor for both the MXT275 and MXT400. Both new units are in exactly the same case, but boast a 50W rating. They are supposed to hit the market in the coming weeks. Google the MXT575 and MXT500. And don't forget you'll need a GMRS license.

l

Will still be the same size?... Cause the MTX 400 is slightly wider for what I understand.

I have this speaker already on the dashboard that I use with my handheld and it fits nicely without obstructed view and is clear

1628637738611.png

I just installed a Baofeng UV25 in the ashtray. I have a bunch of the Baofeng handhelds and a Baofeng UV50 at home as a base station so it just kinda made sense from a channel list / programming standpoint. 25 watts. Covers a good portion of the VHF and UHF spectrum including 2 meter Ham, 70 CM Ham, GRMS, FRS, MURS, Business Bands, Marine VHF. I use MURS and GMRS mainly since I don't have a Ham license but I still have all the local repeaters programmed for monitoring in case of emergency.

I modified the Baofeng bracket mounting holes to make the bracket fit completely snug against the top of the radio. Then, I cut some ABS plastic strips to fit inside the ashtray slots and then epoxied them to the sides of the bracket. The radio can slide out for access to the connections. There was some other misc. dremmel trimming (along the bottom of the opening and a few other small spots) but nothing major. I'm happy with it overall. Hope that helps.

IMG_8077.jpg

IMG_8076.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom