Installed remanned CVs, new noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took out my old CVs and installed remanned unit from CVJ axels. This eliminated the pops I was experiencing in the front end when going over bumps and rocks.

However, a new noise has popped up. When going over a rock or bump, I will now get a very faint pop when the wheel returns to level ground. Doesn't make noise on the flex, only makes it on release. Very small and faint - probably only realized due to my focus on this part of truck after new axels. Only happens on driver side front.

Only does this on 'sharp' bumps and at low speeds. Will occasionally happen when accelerating slowly from a stop - when the RPMs are in the 2's. Does not happen on gradual speed bumps or soft landings.

In addition, I am getting a lot of squeaking from the driver front wheel well. Everything in there is tight - I am thinking bushings.

Question is, would old bushings cause the symptoms I describe? Do I need to let the remanned axels loosen up before judging? Or do I ha e a problem with the newly installed CVs? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Rob

replace your lower ball joins on the lower control arms. I have the same issue and have replaced many parts and finally replace the ball joins the issue taking care of.

I had some popping that was related to the inner tie rods being worn. Did you inspect the steering area (also rack bushings?)

Thanks for the replies. Will check both of the above. Tie rods look pretty good but steering boot is torn. Looks like I have some work in front of me to get my front end straightened out!

Many thanks

-Rob

Still need to circle back on this. I am having windshield leaks and this has taken backseat til that is solved.

Noticed this weekend a new front end issue - wonder if it is related to my issues above. When I really get on the accelerator from a dead stop, I notice a noise around 3000 rpms and 20-30MPH. Sounds and feels like the front wheels are running over rough pavement or the small reflectors that you find on the highway. Does not do this when accelerating normally or when cruising at these speeds/RPMs.

I have noticed that the truck will rock slightly when stopping or when cars pass when I am stopped. Believe the shocks need attention.

Question is, would this type of noise/rough feeling on acceleration have anything to do with shocks, ball joints, sttering rack or any of the others mentioned above? thanks!

-Rob

Made an appt at ACC Toyota to have them drive and diagnose. I'll post results in a few weeks (they are backed up atm).

"When I really get on the accelerator from a dead stop, I notice a noise around 3000 rpms and 20-30MPH. Sounds and feels like the front wheels are running over rough pavement or the small reflectors that you find on the highway."

This just started happening to my 2000 100 series yesterday after a mild trail run. @BRob2756, did you find out what was causing this with your vehicle?

Think I found it but I sold the truck before fixing/confirming. All 4 of my ball joints were crushed - after replacing CVs and checking shocks, I'm pretty sure it was the ball joints. Did not diagnose between uppers and lowers. But mine had been crushed for some time - all grease gone, rubber cracking, etc.

How does you front end look? Steering rack? CVs? Ball joints? U Joints? Mine were all fubarred- made it hard to pinpoint. Hope this helps.

Rob

Currently, it all looks good underneath the vehicle, but I'm not quite sure what I should specifically look for. I plan on getting the front wheels off the ground this coming weekend and taking a closer look at things. When I first bought this cruiser I noticed that at some point in its past it must have had a torn CV boot because I could see the remnants of grease that had been slung up on the underside of the drivers side of the vehicle. I've owned the vehicle now for a little over a year and I haven't had any problems. This truck is more of a recreational vehicle for me, not a daily driver. Mostly use it for mild off-road trails, camping and long family trips. It has about 200k miles on the odometer now and I have no records from the previous owner.

Currently, it all looks good underneath the vehicle, but I'm not quite sure what I should specifically look for. I plan on getting the front wheels off the ground this coming weekend and taking a closer look at things. When I first bought this cruiser I noticed that at some point in its past it must have had a torn CV boot because I could see the remnants of grease that had been slung up on the underside of the drivers side of the vehicle. I've owned the vehicle now for a little over a year and I haven't had any problems. This truck is more of a recreational vehicle for me, not a daily driver. Mostly use it for mild off-road trails, camping and long family trips. It has about 200k miles on the odometer now and I have no records from the previous owner.

I had ACC Toyota and another shop drive mine when I owned the 100. Neither seemed very concerned about the vibration. Both recommended fixing what was right in front of our face (ball joints, rack, shocks) before chasing this vibration down. If you aren't using it to daily, would seem that you have time to try a few things out and pinpoint.

Yep, I'm not driving it everyday so I have the luxury of taking my time to figure it out. I'm just trying to figure out where would be the best place to start. Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom