Install Success - Sears Diehard Platinum Group 31M (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently bought a new battery for my cruiser and went back and forth. I was fully prepared to spend the $$$ for the DieHard platinum, and even the additional $$ for the 31M. I don't have a winch or aux. lights, but I don't mind paying for a reliable battery and you can't have too much reserve capacity. There has been too much negative posted about Optimas for me to be comfortable with them.

Before heading to Sears, I went by the nearby Interstate distributor as they are generally cheaper than stores. I know they sell Interstate, Optima, Yuasa, and some others. Had a decent discussion with one of the guys there and ended up with a commercial grade Interstate 31 (950cca, 190 minutes reserve, non-AGM) for about $120. We'll see if the purchase was wise.

Anyway, although he runs an Optima in his Jeep he stated Optimas have always had a higher return rate than other batteries. (Note, this guy makes the same whether he sells me a battery or not). Obviously he had no hard numbers, just personal/professional experience, but he believed it was more due to the applications in which optimas are run more so than manufacturing defects. I could certainly see that being the case - someone thinking that because they have an optima they can continually run it down. He also stated he believed the the yellow and reds may be the same battery - just with different warranties to reflect how they will be run. Again, no hard facts, just what he has seen when the yellows came out. We didn't discuss the blues.

Now, why did I end up with the battery I did? Well, obviously I liked the capacity of a group 31. And although AGMs are more shock resistant, the battery I bought is supposed to be constructed in such a way as to stabilize the plates inside (will see). At this point, without too many accessories, I am not too concerned about it being deep cycle or not. He also had a group 31 battery that was used for wheelchairs. I assumed it was deep cycle, but it was a bit too much out of the norm for me to experiment with. I assume it likely was lacking in CCAs, but probably held up well to discharging.

I only point this out because there are obviously many battery choices out there. The DieHard31M/OddessyPC2150 may very well be the Holy Grail (or at least one half of it). I think you will find far less negative about them than Optimas. But that doesn't mean you need that battery - but it can be done (as shown by many here who treaded on that ice before us). If this battery holds up well, it might be a good compromise between a $75 cheap battery and the $250 DieHard.

By the way, to fit the Interstate 31, I needed to dremel a small part of the one corner of the battery box that rises up (drivers side rear of the box), used 8" j-bolts from the local parts store (which needed to be shortened a bit more on the DS), and made a hold down bracket like unwiredadventures' in post #13 ($3 of aluminum at Lowes). I also used plasticoat spray on the aluminum. It's REALLY tight, but it fits.

A very well thought out post indeed.

Personally, I'd have no issues with a less expensive wet cell battery if it wasn't for the reason that they out gas and eventually corrode everything that's metallic. At least that's what happened to me previously and it may not be a big deal to most.

Last edited:
these are good points. This helps me clarrify a little bit more why were all spending this kind of dough. Next time mine goes out it I will have some better choices.

Me likey too:
IH8MUD.com - View Single Post - Sheila's evisceration and birth of an HJ62 -> Tofudebeest

I made my own tray out of aluminum diamond plate, but not for this specific battery. I am not kidding when I say there was not an extra mm of room to spare. I did need a longer bolt on the front end of the hold down. I also had to adjust my ground because it was hitting the hood when closed, preventing it from fully closing. I put a piece of plumbers putty on the highest spots on the negative side, and there is about 2 mm between the top post and the underside of the hood on that side. I have plenty of room on the + side.

You can pick up Group 31 batteries at your local truck stop for cheap. I got 2 31Ms for my RV and they were $59 bucks each. They are good 950CCA Continental batteries. no slouch. I got mine at the Houston Freightliner Dealer.

You can pick up Group 31 batteries at your local truck stop for cheap. I got 2 31Ms for my RV and they were $59 bucks each. They are good 950CCA Continental batteries. no slouch. I got mine at the Houston Freightliner Dealer.

Got any link?

Well, now my wallet is empty and my back is sore but thanks to DMOZ and Underwiredadventures and others, I've joined the club.

Had gotten a new battery at Autozone last fall for the Cruiser and after I bought it, found out about this battery, so I was kicking myself every since. Wife's battery died today so I found that the Duralast Gold would fit into the car, swapped then went and got this one for the truck. Was going to spend $90 anyway for one for the car so take off $90 from the $239 for this new battery...just seemed like a good time to upgrade in preparation for the winch I'm re-building for it.

Hope it lasts. These batterys only have a three year warranty but it's a full replacement warranty. The Duralast Gold from A/Z had the same replacement warranty but five additional pro rated years.

The trimming trick worked perfect. Still need to make a hold down straps. Boy...my back is killing me now.

My main battery is dying so looks like I am off to go get this as well. I was hoping my Bosch would have lasted longer. Oh well.

I just put this in (along with some IPFs) this weekend. Trimming was spot on, and only $12 in parts: Lowe's 3/4" steel angle iron ($4) Kragen's universal J hook kit ($8). The fit is TIGHT; the DS retention bar is under the fender lip, and we had to check 2-3 times to make sure that wing nut cleared.

31M.jpg

Cant wait, will this fit in a 97 on the passenger side? I wonder because you need to modify the secondary battery tray to fit due to the radiator/radiator shroud.

Cant wait, will this fit in a 97 on the passenger side? I wonder because you need to modify the secondary battery tray to fit due to the radiator/radiator shroud.

There is more than one person running the 31M both sides. That's some serious battery power.

Only 1 for me, sorry, can't help!

Like a glove:hillbilly:
dual pm1.jpg
dual pm1.jpg

Did this today, easy really, wiring needs be stretched and the cutting of the fins and some longer j hooks with some angle steel and bam all together!!
DSC00609.jpg
DSC00610.jpg
DSC00611.jpg

Bump to the top and a tip of the hat to DMOZ for his original post on what it takes to install one of these bad boys. The PM1 is rated at 100 Amp-hours, so a nice solution for those of us with refrigerators who are running a single battery system. Just returned from a 3-day camping trip last weekend and had no problems starting on Sunday when it was time to head home. Because the PM1 weights nearly 80 lbs I also beefed up the hold-down anchor point on the battery box with an aluminum plate that I pop-riveted to the box and picked up a watt meter off of eBay so I can monitor the refrig's power usage (see photos).
PM1.jpg

HDplate.jpg

WattMeter.jpg

I work at Autozone and so have some insider info. Their Duralast Platinum series AGM deep cycle batteries cannot be sold new after eighteen months from the manufacture date. I just picked up a 31-AGM battery for their "used battery" price. I paid $53.00 for this never-used battery. They don't sell very well because they are $225, so their is a good chance that one has been sitting around collecting dust at your local Autozone. I plan on checking the other local Autozones for "expired" batteries and picking up another one soon. I don't know how well it stacks up to the Sears Platinum, but the price was right!

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

I've seen a couple of posts here on mud about folks buying this battery for their cruiser. Am I missing why this and optima batteries are so great? Just curious as to why I should pay 5 times as much for a battery?

Thanks.
THIS ^^^^^^

I've had them in 2-3 different jeeps and they all suct. The best battery, IMHO, is the Deka gel cell.

Sorry, no one is saying Optima is great. Quite the opposite. Absolute trash.

Deka is just another gel cell or AGM variant.

And this thread isn't really about whether brand "A" is bigger/better/cheaper/stronger/sucks/trash/IMHO than brand "B". There are plenty of other 'mud threads that debate those topics. It's just about installing a DHP PM1 in an 80. DMOZ came up with a simple solution that works well and several here have used it to our advantage. If you don't need or want a PM1, that's great. But some of us have a reason for using one and I thank DMOZ for posting up what it takes to install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom