AltFuel Injectors leaking after biodiesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RufusTheDufus

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been running biodiesel for the past couple of months in my BJ42. I started at B20 and now I'm running B40 to B45 now that it's warmer outside. (I'm in Maine, it takes a while to get warm around here.)

I've been noticing the past couple of weeks that the engine is getting hard and harder to start. It shakes really violently sometimes for 10 or 15 seconds when started cold in the morning. It's in a heated garage that's a minimum of 45 degrees so it's not that cold.

Double and triple glow plug sessions don't seem to help either. I checked the glow plugs with a DVM and they are all OK. I also checked compression to be sure there weren't any surprises there.

One things I did notice is that two of the four glow plugs were pretty wet when I pulled them out of the warm engine to do the compression test. This struck me as odd. I'm wondering if the biodiesel has cleaned my injectors to the point that they are leaking?

The engine runs great after the initial shaking period. I'm planning to swap the injectors for freshly rebuilt ones. Just curious if anyone else has run into this after switching to biodiesel?

I replaced the injectors and the harsh shaking at startup is gone. I have no idea if the biodiesel contributed to the problem.

Biodiesel will clean up your injectors very quickly especially if your using sodium hydroxide, Drain O, to get your reaction and settle the glycerol. You'll need to change out your fuel filter often unitl the entire fuel system is clean. Also, Remember, that standard rubber hoses will not work well with biodiesel. Biodiesel will eat the rubber quickly. Dayco makes good hoses for biodiesel and I strongly suggest that you install them before using Bio again.

I've already changed the fuel filter three times. I found a deal on Ebay for a dozen filters.

Most of the fuel lines have been switched as well. The only ones I haven't changed are the two high pressure lines to/from the fuel filter.

I have no idea what catalyst the manufacturer of the biodiesel is using in their process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom