Injector Pump Solenoid Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me:
A: this is the Injector Pump Solenoid
B: Is there anything complicated about removing/replacing it
C: They are pricey, so is there a chance it could be something as simple as an O ring that could be replaced or is it just time to get a new one?

You can see the leak that just turned up last week so I need to get this taken care of. I just want to know if this is a major repair or if it is as simple as unscrewing it and installing a new one.

IMG_5514.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

I did notice that as soon as I took this closer photo. I think my pump is probably getting to a point where everything is going to start leaking. I need to start it up and see if I can tell if that is where it is coming from. Since you mentioned what the dash pot was (I had no idea), is that something that can be resealed/replaced? Not a lot of discussion on it that I could find on Mud

yes that red circled part is the solenoid. ive never heard of one leak. typically they just stop opening when they fail but strange things can happen. i would be checking the dash pot above as mentioned as it’s probably leaking down. i’d just try tightening the bolt holding it in place to see if it’ll crush the copper gasket a little more. reseal i gnit would be as simple as getting new copper washers of the correct size and replacing them. quite easy

what engine is it on?

Last edited:
It's a 1HDT. The more I look at it, the more I believe it is the dash pot. I had never heard of a dash pot till last week so I am just learning about it. I am not finding very good information. I have talked to people that say it is a very involved process to remove and reseal. But then there are responses like yours franklin40 that say just spin the bolt and see if it stops. I would like to remove the bolt and put a new seal in it but it has been hard to find the parts. The exploded diagrams I have found of the IP have my head spinning.

i may be wrong but that’s just a banjo type fitting from what i recall. it’s just part of the fuel return system from the injectors and the pump. i don’t think that bolt is holding anything inside

I have been going over that diagram for days now. I don't think that's it. I think it is either 22180 which is at 4 O'clock on your red circle, or 22776/22749 which is at 6 O'clock. I have searched for those parts and I am not having any luck getting info or finding the correct seal for them. But I think the bolt you are referencing there is above the one in question on my IP. I circled it in red. The one that I believe is leaking is circled in blue.

IMG_5537.jpg

the blue one is your fuel cut solenoid for sure. i was thinking g that the red one may be leaking down in the blue one.

if you need a solenoid i have a good used one. i changed it out thinking it was my starting problem but turned out to be the power source to it. i’ve tested it and it works well. swapping g it out is dead easy

Thanks. I already have one on the way but I really appreciate it.

just to confirm that part you circled in blue had one wire attached to it right? if so that is 100% your solenoid. the more i look at your pump though i wonder if the green wire is attached to something else just below it! your pump actually looks a little different than mine. my solenoid has threads on it to allow the electrical wire to attach with a small nut. the part you’ve circled doesn’t have threads. so i’m now wondering if you have a different pump than i have

Last edited:
k i’ve got my head in my butt. i’m going back through my photos and stuff on my recent pump issues. i remember changing out the solenoid now. it was vertical not horizontal when threading it in. the part with your green wire is the solenoid. the part you have circled is something i haven’t played with. i’m sorry i’ve added a bunch of nonsense to your thread. that is something else that’s leaking and i don’t have experience changing it out. sorry

Yes I see it. It is what I also circled in Blue. There was confusion about that and the solenoid but I think that was clarified. I am trying to find out on the diagram provided here a few posts up which part is the dash pot so I can order parts. It is not clear to me which part it is. I know it is not the part circled.

Damn I was hoping that was right. Thanks a lot. Can't tell you how much that helped me out. Can you tell me where you got that second image? I don't have the FSM on the engine so is that where you found it? I have been looking around for that for days.

it was me that caused the confusion. again sorry for that. you were clear i was wrong. i had the dash pot confused for the solenoid at first.

Last edited:
Damn I was hoping that was right. Thanks a lot. Can't tell you how much that helped me out. Can you tell me where you got that second image? I don't have the FSM on the engine so is that where you found it? I have been looking around for that for days.
I just DM'd you the FSM for the 1HDT. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom