In the market to buy my first LC, but looking for guidance on a few questions I have (1GR-FE 4L version or V35A-FTS version) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, my first post on the forum here and looking for some advice from the Toyota community.

I'm in the process of buying my first LC and going with the new 300 series, being based in the Middle East we get two options to choose from:

• V6 4L (1GR-FE) with the 6-speed (280hp)
  • V6 3.5 TT (V35A-FTS) with the 10 speed (409hp)

My heart is telling me to push forward with the new 3.5 TT engine/gearbox combo as who doesn't enjoy the extra power (especially in the desert), however, my brain keeps telling me to go for the tried and tested 1GR-FE version but I worry 280hp in a 3ton vehicle will be too slow. I offroad my rigs, either overlanding through UAE/Oman or dune bashing in the empty quarter, so I would appreciate the extra power of the 3.5 TT.

Due to budget, I'm able to get either a 2022 3.5TT with less than 5000 miles on the clock or a 2024 4L brand new - This will be a vehicle I plan to keep for the next 7-10 years.

My question is, would it be irrational to jump on the 2022 3.5TT with this being the first year of production on that engine/gearbox combo in the LC when I have the 4L as an option? I've read a few issues others are facing with the hard shifting at low speeds on the 10spd gearbox, along with a few engine failures of the 3.5TT (predominantly in the Tundra though, which I believe is built in the US vs the 300 series engines in Japan)?

If you own either of these engine/gearbox combos, it would be great to hear your experiences with it now we are a couple of years on from launch and what your opinion would be on this decision. I could be overthinking this but it would be great to hear from everyone.

Thanks so much, appreciate the guidance.
J

Hey all, my first post on the forum here and looking for some advice from the Toyota community.

I'm in the process of buying my first LC and going with the new 300 series, being based in the Middle East we get two options to choose from:

• V6 4L (1GR-FE) with the 6-speed (280hp)
  • V6 3.5 TT (V35A-FTS) with the 10 speed (409hp)

My heart is telling me to push forward with the new 3.5 TT engine/gearbox combo as who doesn't enjoy the extra power (especially in the desert), however, my brain keeps telling me to go for the tried and tested 1GR-FE version but I worry 280hp in a 3ton vehicle will be too slow. I offroad my rigs, either overlanding through UAE/Oman or dune bashing in the empty quarter, so I would appreciate the extra power of the 3.5 TT.

Due to budget, I'm able to get either a 2022 3.5TT with less than 5000 miles on the clock or a 2024 4L brand new - This will be a vehicle I plan to keep for the next 7-10 years.

My question is, would it be irrational to jump on the 2022 3.5TT with this being the first year of production on that engine/gearbox combo in the LC when I have the 4L as an option? I've read a few issues others are facing with the hard shifting at low speeds on the 10spd gearbox, along with a few engine failures of the 3.5TT (predominantly in the Tundra though, which I believe is built in the US vs the 300 series engines in Japan)?

If you own either of these engine/gearbox combos, it would be great to hear your experiences with it now we are a couple of years on from launch and what your opinion would be on this decision. I could be overthinking this but it would be great to hear from everyone.

Thanks so much, appreciate the guidance.
J
You're right the 4L is tried and tested and is known to be reliable. and trust me it wasnt too bad on the lc200 i know people that took their v6 lc200 too al rub' al khali (empty quarter, massive desert in saudia arabia) with no complaints on the power or lack of torque. I also understand the desire for the twin turbo because it is truly awesome and just perfect in acceleration for such a heavy vehicle, but from what i have seen i cannot with certainty tell you that it will last 7-10 years, because it hasn't been around that long, but its been good to me.

if i were in your position and cared about reliability i would get a low mileage 5.7. Not saying i dont care about reliability but driving the V35A-FTS is a shot in the dark in terms of long term reliability in comparison to the 5.7.

You're right the 4L is tried and tested and is known to be reliable. and trust me it wasnt too bad on the lc200 i know people that took their v6 lc200 too al rub' al khali (empty quarter, massive desert in saudia arabia) with no complaints on the power or lack of torque. I also understand the desire for the twin turbo because it is truly awesome and just perfect in acceleration for such a heavy vehicle, but from what i have seen i cannot with certainty tell you that it will last 7-10 years, because it hasn't been around that long, but its been good to me.

if i were in your position and cared about reliability i would get a low mileage 5.7. Not saying i dont care about reliability but driving the V35A-FTS is a shot in the dark in terms of long term reliability in comparison to the 5.7.
Hey there, thank you for the information - I test drove the v6 4L version yesterday and the power was actually fairly good in it, I was surprised! After driving both versions now though I think Im leaning towards the 22 3.5TT as overall it just felt like a smoother package.

As much as I love the 5.7 in the 200 series, I've got my sights set on the 300 shape. Cheers.

I am not sure but I believe this engine (or a very similar twin turbo) has been in a Lexus sedan for many years. I’m not sure of reliability of that car/engine either but if it has been good, it is another positive for the TT.

I for one have faith (perhaps too much) in Toyota and their confidence in this platform. They are incredibly proud of the legendary reliability of the vehicle and I don’t think they would use anything that would effect that badge

Hey there, thank you for the information - I test drove the v6 4L version yesterday and the power was actually fairly good in it, I was surprised! After driving both versions now though I think Im leaning towards the 22 3.5TT as overall it just felt like a smoother package.

As much as I love the 5.7 in the 200 series, I've got my sights set on the 300 shape. Cheers.
cant blame you 😂

Maybe I can put some thoughts here given than I currently own an LC200 with the 4.0 v6 (dual VVT) - had this car for 12 years and still counting. Also, I recently got an LC300 GRS.

* the 1GR is as good as 2UZ-FE V8 4.7 that was featured on the LC200 (2008-2011). Even though in paper, 2UZ-FE have better numbers but probably due to weight and other factors the 1GR It as good or even better from my experience.

*1GR's fuel consumption is not that bad considering the platform is dated. I'm able to do 700 -750km on average based on my normal driving habits, can easily do 800km on a full tank if I'm conservative. Note that LC200 had a 130L petrol tank vs 110L on the new land cruiser. The LC300 design had an efficient engine in mind.Hence, would be good to get prospective from a L300 4.0 owners.V35A-FTS on the other hand is much more efficient especially on highway driving. thanks to its 10 speed transmission. This was not the case back on the LC200 engines, usually the V6 was seen as the fuel efficiency undedog. With the LC300, the twin turbo is not only stronger, its much more efficient. If you are planning to bring the car to the empty quarter, just be mindful that 1GR will tolerate low fuel grades much better than a turbo engine.

*How it feels on the road: I got to say that even under normal driving conditions, the 1-GR is "just fine" you won't get the feeling that the vehicle is crippled. In fact, the engine's torque is pretty respectable especially when it hits 3700-4000 RPM. And i can imagine the LC300 weight reductions will help slightly as well. However, overtaking/acceleration is not great but not terrible 😃. Looking back about how the LC200 was introduced in the middle east, there was 3 petrol engine choices, 1-GR, 1UR-FE and 3UR-FE. The gap between each one was decent but not very significant, in other words, there was a middle option to bridge the gap for people who wants more power than what the 1-GR is offering but couldn't afford the 5.7 engine. The powertrian positioning was just right!..With the LC300, you only get the 1-GR and V35A-FTS. The performance gap between these two are soooo distanced apart that you can't compare them. Is truly a different extreme.

*How it feels on off the road: it took my 1GR everywhere. sand dunes in Qatar in-land sea, mountains in Oman and even Umm Al Quawain - UAE with no problems at all. it's very capable and I believe you shouldn't be worried. However, I felt sometimes more torque would have been nice but it always got me where I need to be. Don't take my word for it, go and see the Safari tour Land Cruisers in Qatar and Dubai, they are all rocking the 1GR. The good thing about the LC300 1GRs is that you get more off-road optionality vs V35A-FTS. I have seen standard 1GR with rear and front diff locks. There are some Saudi import with OEM towing winch. For the twin turbo engine, only the VX/ GR gets the lockers. VXR is LSD and rest its just rear diff locks.I haven't taken my GR off-road yet but V35A-FTS performance will be far superior. The only thing that you need to watch for is the heat. If you are pushing V35A-FTS on the hot GCC weather to its max it may overheat. Turbo engines are just hot by design, it's not really a V35A-FTS issue. there are many after market solutions to that. The point is the 4.0 engine may tolerate heat better.

*Reliability: the 1GR engine is probably one of the most reliable engines that have been ever built by Toyota. I know that what I'm saying here is probably subjective. Featuring that engine on the LC300, LC200, lc70 series,...etc is not a coincidence. This engine is built to last for ever and have a proven record of reliability. Over my 12 years of ownership I only had a faulty alternator and that's it... It remains factory sealed. In addition, maintenance cost will be 2x cheaper than the V35A-FTS. No timing belt that needs to be replaced or no turbo kits, no dual intake filters, intercooler fuild, turbo engine takes 8L motor oil..etc it's quite a robust old school engine which is a comfort zone for anyone owning it. Don't take the issue V35A-FTS for granted, it's a reliable platform and has been around for quite sometime. A lot of "engine problems" that you see online is due to user error for not choosing the right oil type. Turbo engines were not very common in the region and a lot of people though any conventional oil will work just fine.All toyora cars in the middle east have 3 years engine warranty.. yet, you see all broken V35A-FTS online repair videos done outside the dealership. However, I would safely say that the V35A-FTS is much more condensed/ technically more advanced than the 1GR. There are more sensors and components in the engine housing. Its much more sensitive to change and packed with safety features that will turn it into "safety mode".. which is not very ideal in you are in the "empty quarter" unless you have an OBD with laptop.

My advice to you, if you are going to keep the car for 7-10 years, don't get something that you will regret later. For me, the V35A-FTS is the true LC300 experience.

Last edited:
Maybe I can put some thoughts here given than I currently own an LC200 with the 4.0 v6 (dual VVT) - had this car for 12 years and still counting. Also, I recently got an LC300 GRS.

* the 1GR is as good as 2UZ-FE V8 4.7 that was featured on the LC200 (2008-2011). Even though in paper, 2UZ-FE have better numbers but probably due to weight and other factors the 1GR It as good or even better from my experience.

*1GR's fuel consumption is not that bad considering the platform is dated. I'm able to do 700 -750km on average based on my normal driving habits, can easily do 800km on a full tank if I'm conservative. Note that LC200 had a 130L petrol tank vs 110L on the new land cruiser. The LC300 design had an efficient engine in mind.Hence, would be good to get prospective from a L300 4.0 owners.V35A-FTS on the other hand is much more efficient especially on highway driving. thanks to its 10 speed transmission. This was not the case back on the LC200 engines, usually the V6 was seen as the fuel efficiency undedog. With the LC300, the twin turbo is not only stronger, its much more efficient. If you are planning to bring the car to the empty quarter, just be mindful that 1GR will tolerate low fuel grades much better than a turbo engine.

*How it feels on the road: I got to say that even under normal driving conditions, the 1-GR is "just fine" you won't get the feeling that the vehicle is crippled. In fact, the engine's torque is pretty respectable especially when it hits 3700-4000 RPM. And i can imagine the LC300 weight reductions will help slightly as well. However, overtaking/acceleration is not great but not terrible 😃. Looking back about how the LC200 was introduced in the middle east, there was 3 petrol engine choices, 1-GR, 1UR-FE and 3UR-FE. The gap between each one was decent but not very significant, in other words, there was a middle option to bridge the gap for people who wants more power than what the 1-GR is offering but couldn't afford the 5.7 engine. The powertrian positioning was just right!..With the LC300, you only get the 1-GR and V35A-FTS. The performance gap between these two are soooo distanced apart that you can't compare them. Is truly a different extreme.

*How it feels on off the road: it took my 1GR everywhere. sand dunes in Qatar in-land sea, mountains in Oman and even Umm Al Quawain - UAE with no problems at all. it's very capable and I believe you shouldn't be worried. However, I felt sometimes more torque would have been nice but it always got me where I need to be. Don't take my word for it, go and see the Safari tour Land Cruisers in Qatar and Dubai, they are all rocking the 1GR. The good thing about the LC300 1GRs is that you get more off-road optionality vs V35A-FTS. I have seen standard 1GR with rear and front diff locks. There are some Saudi import with OEM towing winch. For the twin turbo engine, only the VX/ GR gets the lockers. VXR is LSD and rest its just rear diff locks.I haven't taken my GR off-road yet but V35A-FTS performance will be far superior. The only thing that you need to watch for is the heat. If you are pushing V35A-FTS on the hot GCC weather to its max it may overheat. Turbo engines are just hot by design, it's not really a V35A-FTS issue. there are many after market solutions to that. The point is the 4.0 engine may tolerate heat better.

*Reliability: the 1GR engine is probably one of the most reliable engines that have been ever built by Toyota. I know that what I'm saying here is probably subjective. Featuring that engine on the LC300, LC200, lc70 series,...etc is not a coincidence. This engine is built to last for ever and have a proven record of reliability. Over my 12 years of ownership I only had a faulty alternator and that's it... It remains factory sealed. In addition, maintenance cost will be 2x cheaper than the V35A-FTS. No timing belt that needs to be replaced or no turbo kits, no dual intake filters, intercooler fuild, turbo engine takes 8L motor oil..etc it's quite a robust old school engine which is a comfort zone for anyone owning it. Don't take the issue V35A-FTS for granted, it's a reliable platform and has been around for quite sometime. A lot of "engine problems" that you see online is due to user error for not choosing the right oil type. Turbo engines were not very common in the region and a lot of people though any conventional oil will work just fine.All toyora cars in the middle east have 3 years engine warranty.. yet, you see all broken V35A-FTS online repair videos done outside the dealership. However, I would safely say that the V35A-FTS is much more condensed/ technically more advanced than the 1GR. There are more sensors and components in the engine housing. Its much more sensitive to change and packed with safety features that will turn it into "safety mode".. which is not very ideal in you are in the "empty quarter" unless you have an OBD with laptop.

My advice to you, if you are going to keep the car for 7-10 years, don't get something that you will regret later. For me, the V35A-FTS is the true LC300 experience.
Hey @hawkQTR, Thank you very much for your detailed response - This is exactly the type of information I was after. To be truthfully honest my dune bashing days are in the past now, and my typical trip would be an overland trip through Oman/Saudi etc. with the occasional dune bash here and there. I'm after that mix of reliability, comfort and good economy.. And with it being my first step into the world of Toyota/LC I think I would be wanting more if I had the 1GR engine vs the V35A. Such a great point regarding the videos coming out of Saudi and the engine issues, most of these are being taken apart in back alley garages, so that tends to make me feel that these engines just aren't being cared for from the get go, and like you say they will be servicing themselves with poor oil.

Appreciate the help! J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom