In tank Fuel Pump conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bringing this back up to post some part numbers

WIX FUEL FILTER NAPA # wix-3737
100_41341.jpg

Fittings for filter above...
* Wix Vette Filter: 33737
* Russell -6an to 3/8″ adaptor – 640850 x2 – For Fuel Feed and LS6 Fuel Rail
* Russell -6an to 5/16″ adaptor – 640860 – Return Line
* Russel 3/8″ to -6 an Push on Fitting – 640940 – Outlet of Filter to -6an hose

This IS THE PERFECT THREAD for me RIGHT NOW!!!!
Thanks Manucho for the link over here!!!!!
I am in the process of building my OWN tank and was not liking the idea of an in line pump for their poor track record for reliability...

I do have a few questions...

1) Why use the pump w/o the FPR? Why use the corvette filter FPR?
Isnt there an FPR attached to the fuel rail on the motor on the vortec? On the vette filter assy. is there a way to regulate the pressure?

2) aside from cutting the rails on the stock pump, are there any other mods that need to be done to SHORTEN the depth?

3) where did you purchase the fittings from? I see the part numbers and such, but where did you actually get them from?

4) Is there a specific level that the filter HAS to be set at for the filter, and how far down line does it need to be?

5) how high does the assembly stick up above the tank?

Thanks Rover for posting this up!!!!!
This is GREAT and extremely VALUABLE information you have provided!!!

BTW, my motor is an 01' 5.3 out of a GMC sierra. I love that you mimicked the stock fuel system.

Did you coat the inside of the tank with a sealant?
Are you running a second filter anywhere?

Bringing this back up to post some part numbers

WIX FUEL FILTER NAPA # wix-3737
100_41341.jpg

Fittings for filter above...
* Wix Vette Filter: 33737
* Russell -6an to 3/8″ adaptor – 640850 x2 – For Fuel Feed and LS6 Fuel Rail
* Russell -6an to 5/16″ adaptor – 640860 – Return Line
* Russel 3/8″ to -6 an Push on Fitting – 640940 – Outlet of Filter to -6an hose

Manucho, do you have any pics of this IN the rig?
Id like to see how you set up the lines.

K

Chicago. Yes I do.
Let me take some pics this morning and I'll post them up....
I got the fittings from a local shop.. but I know summit and Jegs carry them as well.
The filter does work as a FPR and I have read it puts out about 58 to 65 PSI.... (there is no way to adjust the pressure, but I havent had the need to).
I put the Filter in the same spot where the actual FPR was before... about 2 feet in front of the tank...

Hope that helps some...

This IS THE PERFECT THREAD for me RIGHT NOW!!!!
Thanks Manucho for the link over here!!!!!
I am in the process of building my OWN tank and was not liking the idea of an in line pump for their poor track record for reliability...

I do have a few questions...

1) Why use the pump w/o the FPR? Why use the corvette filter FPR?
Isnt there an FPR attached to the fuel rail on the motor on the vortec? On the vette filter assy. is there a way to regulate the pressure?

I went this route because there were so many fuel pumps available for the Chevy stuff it got confusing. They all had different configurations on the outlets and vent lines, some had internal FPR's, some didn't. When I found a pump that was simple with a return on it that was junked by a friend of mine I was able to dissect it and I knew that if I ordered that particular part number I'd have what I needed. That pump happened to be deep enough for my application as well. I also liked the idea of doing the corvette FPR and filter since they are easy to source, replace, and find connections for, so I didn't mind the fact that the pump didn't have a regulator. Also LOTS of folks have used them with good success. Some Vortecs (I forget the years but it says it in the Haynes Silverado manual) have the FPR on the rail... if that's the case all you need is a filter for the setup.

2) aside from cutting the rails on the stock pump, are there any other mods that need to be done to SHORTEN the depth?

Nope. That was all I had to do. The plastic fuel line and wires that went from the pump to the top of the assembly just curled a little to shorten a bit.

3) where did you purchase the fittings from? I see the part numbers and such, but where did you actually get them from?
I googled the part number for mine and found them cheap at some random place... as said above, Jeggs and Summit Racing are good places too.

4) Is there a specific level that the filter HAS to be set at for the filter, and how far down line does it need to be?
Nothing that needs to be set, they are preset at 58psi. I have a gauge on mine and it runs right at 58psi. That is for the gas motors though. Flex fuel is different, they run at a lower pressure.

5) how high does the assembly stick up above the tank?
Damn... I forgot... Maybe about an inch? I remember it was not a whole lot more than the fittings themselves... I did have to place my pump over the sump in my tanks and that spot happened to coincide with where there was no rib in the body. The rib in the body where the tank goes could interfere with stuff if you don't place the pump wisely.

Thanks Rover for posting this up!!!!!
This is GREAT and extremely VALUABLE information you have provided!!!

BTW, my motor is an 01' 5.3 out of a GMC sierra. I love that you mimicked the stock fuel system.

Did you coat the inside of the tank with a sealant?
Are you running a second filter anywhere?

No problem, that's what this place is for :)

And I didn't coat the tank, and no, I don't run a second filter anywhere else.

Cheers!
:beer:

Oh and also, I'd recommend doing AN fittings like MANUCHAO is doing... mine started to leak a bit where the hose clamps hold the hoses on and I have had to tighten them once. The AN fittings are def. the way to go there.

Summit's blue fuel line and AN fittings are perfectly reasonable.

Oh and also, I'd recommend doing AN fittings like MANUCHAO is doing... mine started to leak a bit where the hose clamps hold the hoses on and I have had to tighten them once. The AN fittings are def. the way to go there.

Thanks for the info! That helps a great deal!

I JUST discovered this stuff TODAY when I went to Summit. There is a guy there who builds buggies who told me about it. That will knock a WEEK or TWO off this project. Im super excited about it.

Just found this thread, I recessed a stock gm returnless fuel pump into my stock 40 tank and running the vette regulated fuel filter. I cut my own fittings but wish I had found those from the vette site. After I welded the tank up I ran two tank sealing sesions from Eastwood. I think I have pics up at my build thread. if not I'll throw some up. I have the tank out at the moment but it should be in and strapped this weekend!!! Don't forget when working on your tank safety first!!! think about inerting it with dry ice, it's dirt cheap and will flood the tank with Co2 once it sublimates (throw some water on it to speed up the process) and force out the O2. Or just flood the tank with Co2 or nitrogen if you have it on hand.

Last edited:
Rover67, could you potentially cut more off the metal "legs" to shorten the in tank pump assembly down to less tan 6.5" to be used in the stock fj60 tank?

Yeah I know, I know.. I have used them all over the place and they work great. I thought that clamps might work here and they didn't... :)

Rover67, could you potentially cut more off the metal "legs" to shorten the in tank pump assembly down to less tan 6.5" to be used in the stock fj60 tank?

not sure, I can't remember if I measured that dimension....

A lot of the car fuel pump assemblies are the right depth to fit a Cruiser tank too (and they're pretty easy to modify if not).

Nick

Can you please elaborate on which gm car fuel pumps are shallow enough to fit a cruiser tank?

So far I have found pictures of numerous pumps, and the most shallow late model (5.3l) seems to be the chevy ssr. It appears to be spring loaded as well.

ssrpump.jpg

I think I may head down to the parts store to measure a few.

According to what someone said earlier, the max depth to fit the fj60 tank is 6.5" right?

Last edited:
i'm working on a couple of these right now. the 60 tank will only allow up to a 6.5" depth for the entire "cartridge". tried a few from different gm applications but no luck so far. i'll do some more research tomorrow.

georg

ps: another advantage of running the entire fuel pump cartridge/assembly is the fact that the tank level sending unit is built in. for a smog legal vortec swap this has to be tied into the engine harness or the evap system will not work properly.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

Bringing this thread back if ya'll don't mind.....

What do you guys think about this:

To use stock gas tank with in-tank GM pump.

Take a GM in-tank pump, remove metal legs and plastic cartridge. Throw those in the nearest trash can. Use submersible hose cut to size and mount pump/filter to appropraite depth of stock tank 6.5". Cut hole in tank and use vetteworks ring to mount pump assembly.

Would you run into problems by running without that plastic cartridge?
Only other concern might be fuel level sender, but you could mount that on the toyota sending unit as George did.

a few years too late..

The Plastic Cartridge acts as a small reservoir for when the pump can't pickup fuel from the rest of the tank... the return dumps into it. Getting rid of it means you'd loose that feature.

a few years too late..

The Plastic Cartridge acts as a small reservoir for when the pump can't pickup fuel from the rest of the tank... the return dumps into it. Getting rid of it means you'd loose that feature.

.. a little belated :doh:

Concerning in tank pump without reservoir... I have not had any issues in 15K miles.... so I guess its safe to say that it works o.k.

I have never had a fuel related problem on my swap. The pump pickup simply sits in the stock fj60 gas tank's little sump.

FWIW I can hear the pump whine when the tank is running on E... but other than that... :meh: just fine.

** edit. knock on wood.

Hey Rover, I've done this in tank fuel pump on my original FJ60 tank. I've got lots of data on how I did it. I'm still trying to get my V8 conversion all wired up and working, but I know the fuel pump is wired up and works for sure. I also wired up the fuel pump to the Vortec PCM so it kicks on for 2 seconds once the key is turned just to prime the pump before cranking the engine. It is a pretty nice setup and you may want to look into it too. It's just one wire to the pump relay from the PCM.

I can post pics here if you want to start a thread. Or I can email you what I have.
I know you posted this a long time ago but I'm trying to get the 1995 LT1 engine I've thrown in my 1985 FJ60 finished up. I'm at the stage where I'm looking at how to do the fuel system and was wondering if you still had the information on how you did your hookup?
Hey Rover, I've done this in tank fuel pump on my original FJ60 tank. I've got lots of data on how I did it. I'm still trying to get my V8 conversion all wired up and working, but I know the fuel pump is wired up and works for sure. I also wired up the fuel pump to the Vortec PCM so it kicks on for 2 seconds once the key is turned just to prime the pump before cranking the engine. It is a pretty nice setup and you may want to look into it too. It's just one wire to the pump relay from the PCM.

I can post pics here if you want to start a thread. Or I can email you what I have.

I know this was posted quite a while ago but I'm trying to finish up my 1995 LT1 swap into my 1985 FJ60 and am at the fuel delivery stage. What you describe in your post is what I'm looking for. Do you still have that information available on how you did it? Thanks.

well, I just got a used pump from a friend from a 2002 Silverado 1500 HD. Looks like it will reach the depth of my LRA tank but it won't collapse enough. SImple mod though.

I ordered a new one from rock auto and the rings from vetteworks to install it into the tank. I chose the pump from the 2002 Silverado because it has no FPR on the return, I'll be using the corvette FPR and filter combo near the tank to regulate down to 58psi. SHould be a nice clean setup.

I am glad I was able to get the junker pump from my friend because I was able to see what the regulator (or lack of) assembly was like and check the depth that the pump can reach. I wanted to use the corvette regulator so this pump will be perfect. I'll post up as I go along.

Pump is a Delphi PN FG0053
Using Dorman Connectors DOR-800-121 for the 3/8" quick connects (Pressure line on pump and filter)
Using Dorman COnnectors DOR-800-120 for the 5/16" quick connects (return line on pump and filter)
Using Dorman fuel line PN DOR-800-155 double bead line (for the fuel filter outlet)
Using a C5 Corvette filter from Napa PN 3737
But I just don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom