Importing vehicle to Canada from US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a US Citizen who may be interviewing with a company in Vancouver BC. If I take the job I may be moving up with my 04 100 Series LC. What are the import laws like for US citizens crossing the border for long term work? I've heard rumor that there is a tax that people have to pay but if I am relocating from the US that I am exempt from that tax?

We will only need 1 car, but if we are exempt perhaps my wife and I should bring both our cars and sell one when we get to Vancouver. The other is an 07 Highlander. Seems like cars are more expensive in Vancouver than they are in the states, we could make 2-3k profit.

Does anyone have any links to this information?

The rules differ by situation, if you are on an assignment long term with the same company with a valid visa then you can be tax exempt. I clipped this from the RIV (registrar of imported vehicles).
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html#s3

The vehicle is entering Canada temporarily for a specific purpose. The allowable types of temporary imports are:
  1. vehicles imported by visitors for a period not exceeding 12 months, temporary residents such as students studying at an institution of learning for the duration of their studies in Canada, or individuals with valid work permits/ authorizations for employment for a period not exceeding 36 months;

I have moved two vehicles to Canada for my current role, no tax was collected. There will be tax if you try to sell the vehicle while in Canada so the expectation is that you leave with what you brought.

Is this a possible forever job or just something you are going to do for a few years, collect some loot and roll back to the US?

Actually, going into Mexico to work is really tough. Their immigration laws are extremely strict and aggressively enforced. Funny, right?

To the OP, Go surf around the Province (BC) websites, I am sure you will be able to find some the info you need there or at least find some FAQs and points of contact to start the process.:meh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom