Importing from Japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.

I'll be living in Japan for a couple years for work (Navy). The only thing I've heard about importing vehicles is that they need to be 25 years or older..

Not sure, but I think the only thing that doesn't meet safety standards for importing is the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle.

I'm supposed to come back in Feb of 2024 and the manufacturer date of a 100 I'm interested in is Aug 1999 just months short of that 25 years.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience importing vehicles and can tell me if I'm just out of luck or if there's a way to make this work without dropping an unreasonable amount of cash.

I’m moving to the UK next year and plan to import an HDJ100 when I return so I’ve been looking into it a little. I don’t think the steering wheel being on the wrong side is actually an issue (though it might be state by state — NY for example requires a speedometer in mph). Also I think they do it by model year not actually by production date. I would expect your 08/99 production 100 would be MY2000 and therefore only officially 24 years old in 2024.

From what I’ve read, you are allowed to use a vehicle in the US with foreign registration for up to one year, which to me means that maybe it would be possible to ship a 24 year old vehicle in and then drive it for a year and then officially import it when it turns 25. But that’s probably only something an expert could answer.

I did 5 Years in Okinawa Japan (USMC). It's manufactured date, not model year, that matters. TMO handles this constantly for folks PCSing back conus from Japan, so there's forms and checklists. It's straightforward. Several of my peers brought back 60 or 70 series... I should have brought back that sweet HDJ80 I passed on early in year 2 when I thought I'd only be there for 3 years... ah, memories.

As far as "within a few months", TMO had ZERO flexibility, it was 25 years or not. That said, it is possible (but not easy) to do a delayed property move with a friend having power of attorney, you could also probably work a short extension with your monitor/detailer to extend to an off-cycle move.

The 100 series isn't on the "show and display" import list, so that option is out. That said, there's plenty of other import options available - there's a foreign registration trick for you to take a "long roadtrip" in the US like @js47 said - but if you are just a regular SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) navy dude, they won't really apply as you are only sorta foreign registered. Your plate will have a BIG "Y" on it for YANKEE vice every other Japanese persons kanji character plate... that said, you pay basically pennies of road tax instead of the thousands of $s they would pay. You'd likely need to have a Japanese wife to swing that one.

If you just want to pay for it yourself, well that's pretty easy. I'm sure you can find an export shipper who will store your car for money, and ship it for money. Whether or not that's an "unreasonable amount of money" is up to you. It would quickly get unreasonable for me, especially because there isn't much different with a JDM 100 series that I'd want over a USDM 100 series - unless you can track down a manual and you just really want to have the 4.2 inline 6... the diesel 105s weren't sold in Japan.

Anyway, you might find (like I did) that you are VERY fond of living in Japan, and then you just naturally want to extend - thus solving your import problem. My family loved it, I extended twice. I would 100% go back and do it again!

Hi all.

I'll be living in Japan for a couple years for work (Navy). The only thing I've heard about importing vehicles is that they need to be 25 years or older..

Not sure, but I think the only thing that doesn't meet safety standards for importing is the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle.

I'm supposed to come back in Feb of 2024 and the manufacturer date of a 100 I'm interested in is Aug 1999 just months short of that 25 years.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience importing vehicles and can tell me if I'm just out of luck or if there's a way to make this work without dropping an unreasonable amount of cash.
Hey!

I work with a company that specializes in importing JDM cars & trucks. The vehicle needs to be 25 years old, no less, not even by a day. RH drive is not a problem. In order to import the car, hire a customs broker. He'll handle the paperwork required to get the car registered in the U.S. That means all the EPA docs, customs paperwork and title. Different states have different registration processes. A lot of states are "easy" while others are more complicated. California is seemingly impossible.

Would it work for him to throw his 100-series on a boat just before he also leaves Japan [February 2024], where it’ll then take another month or two for it to arrive in port [April-ish 2024], and then have freight forwarder transfer it [in bond] to a port closer to him, and then transfer it to a Foreign Trade Zone for storage for a couple of months until it reaches its birthday in August 2024? At which point the 25 year issue is a non-issue and it’s business as usual.

Storage in an FTZ might be pricey though. IDK, I’m just spitballing here.

Would it work for him to throw his 100-series on a boat just before he also leaves Japan [February 2024], where it’ll then take another month or two for it to arrive in port [April-ish 2024], and then have freight forwarder transfer it [in bond] to a port closer to him, and then transfer it to a Foreign Trade Zone for storage for a couple of months until it reaches its birthday in August 2024? At which point the 25 year issue is a non-issue and it’s business as usual.

Storage in an FTZ might be pricey though. IDK, I’m just spitballing here.
This is possible, as the "25 yr" thing is only to get your car past customs and into the states. However, TMO (military Transportation Management Office) has not shown any flexibility on this that I've seen in the past.

It's Suuuuuuuper not a big deal though, just go on goo-net and you can search by manufactured date and get exactly what you need. Also, there are english speaking dealers outside of every military base in Japan that - for a totally reasonable fee - will find what you're looking for and help you get it. They can also help you with transportation all the way to the US if you choose to do it on your own dime.

@SemperRex is spot on.. it has to be 25 years old. If you can not extend there to meet that date find somone who you trust and give them a Special POA (just like on AFN 😂) to get it shipped at a later date.

I shipped my stuff back like 6 years ago and it was not too much of a headache.. Make sure you get a permisive tdy to pick your vehicle up from the port when it arrives in the USA. The gov will pay for that as its part of your move.

Not sure what state you are moving to, but I was able to get temp tags so I could drive it from the port.

Let me know if you have any questions id be more than happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom