Importing engine from Canada to USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to buy an engine from a seller in Canada, and have it shipped into USA. Does anyone have experience and advice for this? Is there a shipper that you have used that did a good painless job?
thanks!

I am trying to buy an engine from a seller in Canada, and have it shipped into USA. Does anyone have experience and advice for this? Is there a shipper that you have used that did a good painless job?
thanks!

Hello,

I've bought an engine from an importer in Canada before (Japan Domestic Motor in Quebec). It was an overall easy process, I paid for it over the phone and they actually handled the freight on their end. I paid $3500 shipped for a complete 2005 Subaru WRX STi swap with ~51k miles. It came with a tracking number and all of that and took like a week and half to hit our driveway in Arizona. The driver that delivered the engine used a little forkift to move the engine on the pallet into our garage for me.

The most popular importer I am aware of however is JDM Racing Motors, also in Quebec. I think they also handle freight on their end.

The engine actually doesn't need to be 25 years old, that NHTSA exemption is for entire vehicles (people importing Skylines, for example). The only thing I could think that may be different is in California, where the CARB mandates the engine be from an equal year or newer and have all emissions systems intact.

Sorry, the engine does need to be 25 years old or older if non-EPA. If it has an EPA number under the hood and was also sold new in the US, you're fine, it is already compliant. As I did export engine parts from Canada, I know this.

I expect that donor 2005 Subaru was sold new at the dealer here in Canada before being wrecked, and had EPA certification. It wasn't a JDM RHD.

DOT and EPA apply to complete vehicles. EPA to engines only.

The fines and criminal charges for falsifying records on import to the US is serious. Ensure your EPA form is filled out, link attached here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom