Importer Recomendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to see if anyone has recommendations for an importer that they have used.

I currently live in Japan (returning to the US this year) and am looking at sending a Landcruiser 70 home ahead of me, and hopefully getting some work done on it before I return so that it will be ready to go.

I have someone who will handle the export process here and get it to the port in the US, so I just need someone to handle the paperwork on the US side, and to get it from the port to my home or a shop.

Currently considering shipping through Baltimore (somehow it is the cheepest quote that my exporter has received so far) so any suggestions there would be appreciated.

Where are you going to be when you receive the truck? Baltimore might be the cheapest for shipping, but consider the cost of truck transport to your location. Might end up being cheaper overall to ship to a different port.

It's final destination will be near Detroit, MI. So Baltimore is actually probably one of the closest ports.

I wanted to ship it to the west cost, get some work done on it there, and then drive it back to Mi. I think that it would be an awesome trip so it is still an option that I am considering, but I have to confirm if I can get over the insurance and temporary tag hurdles for that plan to work.

I just went through the import process of 2 trucks from South Africa to the US, and am very happy with the services provided by the import broker at SChumaker CArgo LOgistics. They handled all the paperwork and arranged all the logistics. Let me know if you need a contact, however I started directly on their website to request a quote. I went through Savannah GA, the container was routed through
Charleston by Maersk but delay by customs cost me a lot so next time I will probably try a different port.

is there not a big difference in shipping costs to the East coast vs West, coming from Japan?

Rebel32L Thanks for the recommendation, I will contact them through the website.

is there not a big difference in shipping costs to the East coast vs West, coming from Japan?
So far in my experience there appears to be little to no difference. The first quotes that I received were actually ~$500 cheaper to go to Baltimore instead of Tacoma. The bigger factor is if there is a RORO (Roll On, Roll Off) shipping between the two ports as this is much cheaper (1/2 the price) compared to a container when shipping only one vehicle.

Rebel32L Thanks for the recommendation, I will contact them through the website.

So far in my experience there appears to be little to no difference. The first quotes that I received were actually ~$500 cheaper to go to Baltimore instead of Tacoma. The bigger factor is if there is a RORO (Roll On, Roll Off) shipping between the two ports as this is much cheaper (1/2 the price) compared to a container when shipping only one vehicle.
Hey GreaseMonkeyJP - What option did you end up going with for shipping, and what did it end up costing you? I'm looking at shipping my HZJ77v from Nagoya, Japan to South Carolina and am having trouble finding shippers that don't want an arm and a leg...

Thanks!

I just went through the import process of 2 trucks from South Africa to the US, and am very happy with the services provided by the import broker at SChumaker CArgo LOgistics. They handled all the paperwork and arranged all the logistics. Let me know if you need a contact, however I started directly on their website to request a quote. I went through Savannah GA, the container was routed through
Charleston by Maersk but delay by customs cost me a lot so next time I will probably try a different port.
I am looking to do the exact same thing! I am currently in South Africa looking at what is availble. Any chance you would be willing to do a Whattsapp call or other suitable communication since I am still a babe in the woods when it comes to this sort of thing. Tia. Gerrie

@Pip Bernadotte for getting the land cruiser on the boat I used the auction agent that I had used to buy the vehicle. (I didn't have a way to get it registered I Nagoya so mine was shipped directly back to the US).

On the US side I found a agency through the suggestion of the shipping company. The US side is best by figuring out the port that it will arrive at and then finding a company at that port to help with the paperwork.

If you clear through Baltimore I recommend www.awis.us

They took care of just about everything and dropped the vehicle off at my house.

You can't get RORO directly to Detroit? I figured they would be picking up many new vehicles there for delivery abroad. Might not be the case anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom