Ignition/starter relay install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I went out today to install one of these bypass kits (LINK) but couldn't bring myself to cut the BLK/RED cable coming to the starter/solenoid (at terminal 50 per the FSM). There isnt much of that cable left adjacent to the starter (before it merges into the harness) to splice into and I didn't want a cramped/crappy butt splice with a little bit of adhesive shrink tube to be a weak link.

Anyway, it looks like I can splice into that black/red cable anywhere downstream of the neutral position sensor, so my question is: where is a better place to splice in this relay circuit? Ideally somewhere where I can solder the connection.

I was assuming the blk/red cable is contained in the main harness that enters the engine bay through the passenger side firewall, but I haven't cut into the harness before, so wanted some opinions before I did something I'd regret.

Thanks all

1630295969878.png

Because he probably wants to be able to drive his truck around without having it sit for who knows how long just to find out his wiring is fried.......

bpenn I'll check mine tomorrow as it's been awhile but I know the second time I just used a vampire clamp right behind the plug that goes into the starter. It only takes a tiny signal to get it to work and turn over. As long as the wire doesn't have a complete break somewhere down the line it will work. The first truck it was installed (soldered) by a Toyota master tech and I think he attached it right behind the ignition switch on the signal wire.

Because he probably wants to be able to drive his truck around without having it sit for who knows how long just to find out his wiring is fried.......
This statement makes no sense to me.
The starter logic path is pretty simple on these trucks. Hacking up wires to work around an issue will likely cause more problems than fixing it correctly in the first place. But hey, it's not my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom