Ideal tire size on stock rims with no lift . And type of tires for this area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I had posted a similiar question before on the general 100 forum more towards upgrades and got a lot of good feedback but I am trying to narrow in on what I should get for tires. So, I am not planning on doing any crazy offroading (yet). It's a stock 2000 LC with 84k. I am using it as my DD and would like to be able to use it for getting up forest roads and etc for hunting and fishing and going to the mountain to ski. Around the flathead everyone has a different opinion on what to use. Some say I am fine with just all terrains others say to get a 2nd set of rims and snow tires and another said to get studded snow tires. I've been hearing good things about the BFG K/O or Bridgestone Blizzaks. I am also trying to decide on what size. Should I stay with stock or get something a little bit bigger for a little more clearance?

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Thanks,

Bob

Having driven a 100 series with nearly bald tires in the winter I can say that the vehicle is just amazing regardless of tires on normal roads. If you do plan to do some forest roads and trails in the mountains around here I would highly recommend getting a set a 33 inch tires. So if you have 16 inch rims a set of 285/75/16‘s would be in order. Goodyear Dura tracs have done very well for me. Some like Cooper’s others like the BFG’s. I personally have had a tough time keeping Coopers in balance. And I like how the Goodyears don’t seem to dry rot.

Awesome. Would you recommend just keeping the stock rims and using those tires or getting bigger rims like tundra wheels?

No real need for bigger rims unless you just like it. Bigger rims mean less sidewall flex.

I bought my hundy last year and replaced the bald tires with BFG Ko2 tires after reading about their winter performance. I have been impressed with the snow/ice traction. I don't swap out tires in summer/winter and the BFGs have been great all year round.

I went with the largest tire size to fit on stock rims. The FAQ has sizing. And I bought a 5th tire for a spare to have a matching size. Not only was my spare tire the smaller stock size, but also the original tire from 2006!

I had Blizzak snow tires on my '95 Pathfinder, which was great in 2wd and super sticky in 4wd. But since the hundy is AWD all the time, I don't feel the need for dedicated snow tires and always hated stepping around the extra stack of tires in my garage.

For a less beefy tread alternate, I ran the Hankook Dynapro ATM on my '07 4runner. It did well and provided a softer ride over the Ko2's.

Whichever way you go, be sure to call around for pricing. The quotes I got from multiple shops in Bozeman and Belgrade varied by several hundred dollars for the same set of tires. I was surprised how non-competitive some shops were on pricing.

I have a 1999 100 series and put the 285/75r16 Goodyear Wrangler Dura tracks And they work very well for me. One thing though I would highly recommend is to call before you order The tires to see if they will actually mount them or not if you go bigger on the size. I had to go to big O tires who would mount them. Most other places wouldn’t . Good luck

I highly recommend the 285/75-16 size for a stock 100 series. I have run more tires than I care to admit but having a neighbor in the used tire business had its perks. Add a 50mm spacer over the rear coil pack and lift the front with the torsion bars and you'll gain a lot of advantages for very little coin.

My favorite tires for the 100 to date are... (I've owned Firestone, Toyo MT, BFG KO, BFG K02, Duratracs)

BFG KO2's... great all around tire. Pro's- Good on most every surface but mud and ice, lots of mileage per set, and tough side walls. Cons... expensive and I find them to be pretty lame in moderate mud. It is what I am currently running and I am really happy.

Goodyear Duratrac's... great tire all around. Better in the snow and mud than the K02, I think they're they best looking AT tire (if that matters to you, it does to me). Con's- they don't seem to get the miles before wearing out. I was kinda shocked how quick mine wore down with regular driving. They've been pegged with weaker sidewalls but it was not my experience. They also got LOUD once they hit the half way mark on wear.

Cooper SST Pro's get rave reviews from sources I trust who use them. I have not run a set yet.

Depending on your mileage per year as a daily driver, you might really look at a mud terrain. After a summer here playing in the dirt, I think the 100 would benefit from a true mud terrain, I will wait to experience a full winter before taking the jump though. Tires ain't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom