I want one when they are available (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have heard through the grapevine that Toyota does plan hybrids with most there new models. It would not surprise me when they do.

The Prius can get up to 48 MPG. I can get 18-20 MPG with my 04 Tacoma, the best I can get with my de-smogged FJ 40 with a well tuned weber and motor is 9 MPG. ( Fuel injection here we come)

I have had my 04 Tacoma for 11 months and have 31K flawless miles on it. I look forward to the FJ cruiser and hoping to at least match the reliability of my Tacoma, with something more rugged for adventure. I would like to have it ready to go and not have to modify it too much, but I am sure it will be option city for all the bells and whistles like the concept car...

Cdaniel said:
Back to the FJ Cruiser, I wonder if it will ever be feasible to have a gas electric hybrid in a true offroad vehicle. Can the technology develop enough torque to conquer any real obstacles? :confused:

It would be nice as electric motors have 100% torque at 0 RPM. One of the new hybrids, maybe the RX300h, says it will not go off-road because the rear wheel drive electric motors can't take the heat. They are air cooled and would be damaged by high loads at low speeds.

Would be nice for some of the long ride to the trail head. Saving the fuel for the outback ;)

Cdaniel said:
Back to the FJ Cruiser, I wonder if it will ever be feasible to have a gas electric hybrid in a true offroad vehicle. Can the technology develop enough torque to conquer any real obstacles? :confused:

You should read up more on hybrids.

Torque can be plentiful with and electric sidekick. Take the Accord V-6 hybrid for example, by adding the electric into the equation the torque increases by 100 lb-ft for a total of 312 with 257 HP. Not only that, but the torque peaks at low RPM's and continues to deliver 90% of its peak all the way to redline. That's almost as much torque as a 100 series V-8 (320?) yet gas mileage is 30/37 mpg. Peak torque at low RPM's with 90% across the band sounds perfect for "real obstacles."

Put a hybrid in the FJ get the performance of a V-8 with the mileage of a civic - I'm there.

Cdaniel - I used to agree with you 100% about buying old quality proven vehicles and knowing them inside and out. Then I made enough money to buy a new vehicle and will never buy anything used except toys ever again. You can bitch and moan about electronics and computers and all that but I really enjoy not thinking about what is going to break on my way to wherever I want to go.

What really changed my mind is my new fully computerized and electronic/hydraulic balewagon. Wiring and hydraulic systems are 10,000 times better than old mechanical s*** and when downtime costs a couple hundred dollars an hour - I cannot afford to run any old s*** anymore.

Good article about this exact topic in the newest Trails - seems everyone comes around to accepting new stuff, just at their own pace.

Now, get back to taking about your wimpy, ecofag hybrids - I'm gonna go drive something that burns a lot of diesel and makes black smoke :D

Oh, and I'm probably gonna take a serious look a buying the new FJ - should make a great grocery getter.

I like it. If it's cheap enough I'm gonna try and convince the wife that it's cool.

I can't wait to see one at a TLCA event. Think of the ruckus that'll stir up.

haystax said:
Cdaniel - I used to agree with you 100% about buying old quality proven vehicles and knowing them inside and out. Then I made enough money to buy a new vehicle and will never buy anything used except toys ever again. You can bitch and moan about electronics and computers and all that but I really enjoy not thinking about what is going to break on my way to wherever I want to go.

What really changed my mind is my new fully computerized and electronic/hydraulic balewagon. Wiring and hydraulic systems are 10,000 times better than old mechanical s*** and when downtime costs a couple hundred dollars an hour - I cannot afford to run any old s*** anymore.

Good article about this exact topic in the newest Trails - seems everyone comes around to accepting new stuff, just at their own pace.

Now, get back to taking about your wimpy, ecofag hybrids - I'm gonna go drive something that burns a lot of diesel and makes black smoke :D

As I said earlier, I'd buy new if I didn't care about the expense. Farm equip is another animal altogether. Down time on my DD only means I drive the Cruiser to work that day. Not money out of pocket.

"not thinking about what is going to break on my way to wherever I want to go"

Not a worry in my life either, because I trust the mechanic and the machine. But everything will break, new or old. For me it's a question of the cost of repairs. Repairs that are servicible only by other mechanics cost more. I'll come around when I'm too old and decrepid to wrench or they outlaw the old stuff and have to pry my carb from cold dead hands.

So, "about your wimpy, ecofag hybrids" I'm sure you'll come around, at your own pace :D

Cdaniel said:
So, "about your wimpy, ecofag hybrids" I'm sure you'll come around, at your own pace :D

HA!! Good one :D :flipoff2:

Probably not, biodiesel maybe - i doubt that a hybrid will stand up to the loads I pull or the long distances i typically drive, really no stop and go situations in my daily routine, the two closest towns to us don't even have a single stoplight ;)

I already go about 650 miles on one tank of diesel in my Powerstroke, with a few mods i could add another 150+ miles to that and then add a biodiesel setup and make it convenient and easy - then sign me up.

The new fullsize pickup w/ hybrid tech (forget which brand) doesn't look to be as tough as a regular spec truck, kinda geared more towards the weekend warrior crowd but I guess it shows what's to come in the future.

On a side note - some of the largest gold mine haul trucks out here are "hybrids" - they can't hold enough fuel to make it a round trip to the dump pad so they are like trolleys and commuter trains with a folding electical contactor above the cab that runs off a hyline power grid on the approach out of the pit. The 12 cylinder cat motor is basically a genset and each wheel is a electric/planetary.

desertdude said:
I have heard through the grapevine that Toyota does plan hybrids with most there new models. It would not surprise me when they do.

The wifey was watching one of those shows on A&E about the Aviator and DiCapprio's life and it started talking about how he's a big hybrid supporter and only drive hybrid cars. It was talking about how he went to the Toyota Dealership in Cali to buy hios mom a new Hybrid and while he was there, they were testing a Hybrid FJ Cruiser and they let him drive it. He tried to buy it on the spot but they wouldn't sell it. So for what it's worth, I think the hybrid is a lock. I'm sure it will be a 2wd though.

haystax said:
The 12 cylinder cat motor is basically a genset and each wheel is a electric/planetary.
I saw some show about that. I think they said the reason it was a electric drive and had a motor at each wheel was because with loads that big they could not make a transmission/axle, etc big enough to handle that torque. Whereas with electricity they could send 10K volts (example, they didn't mention actual voltage) to each motor and could pulse that and adjust speed, etc...so yeah the engine is just a generator in the really big Cat dumptruck, the 777 or whatever it's called, has a 4000 gallon fuel tank IIRC, damn impressive vehicle!

haystax said:
On a side note - some of the largest gold mine haul trucks out here are "hybrids" - they can't hold enough fuel to make it a round trip to the dump pad so they are like trolleys and commuter trains with a folding electical contactor above the cab that runs off a hyline power grid on the approach out of the pit. The 12 cylinder cat motor is basically a genset and each wheel is a electric/planetary.

I may be wrong, but most Freight trains are set up with multiple diesels that run electrical generators - it's the electric motors that keep the wheels moving.

That said, I like the FJ, and may look at one in the future too. Doesn't mean I'll get rid of my 60, but I'd trust a new FJ for long distance trips, and would open up more opportunities for fun (now that we have kids, etc, it's hard to throw them into my old beater and run to, say, Colorado or New Mexico)

swank60 said:
(now that we have kids, etc, it's hard to throw them into my old beater and run to, say, Colorado or New Mexico)
Yep, that's why you should live here! :flipoff2:

Actually it's only about 11-12 hours from Ft Worth to Denver, I went to school down there, and drove home several weekends in a row to visit people.. :D

Let's see, 12 hours of driving at about 1qt of oil per 4 hours...jeez, I'd have to be linked to OPEC to make it in mine (not to mention no AC, and the :princess: hates the truck, to boot. Kids love it though.) :D

swank60 said:
Let's see, 12 hours of driving at about 1qt of oil per 4 hours...jeez, I'd have to be linked to OPEC to make it in mine (not to mention no AC, and the :princess: hates the truck, to boot. Kids love it though.) :D

Well the FJ should have less room than the 60....maybe just enough room to leave someone out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom