I think my rear diff is severely worn! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
BJ60 with a 4.11 open diff, 567k kms on the vehicle.

I barely drove the vehicle before starting a total restoration rebuild, I vaguely remember the driveline being a bit clunky, but there was no classic howling diff noise to suggest something was awry.

The rear diff flange had signs of a creeping oil leak, there was no preload on the rear pinion bearings, and what feels like too much backlash. There was also some side to side play on the flange. So, new pinion bearings I thought....

As I got a 30 mm socket today, I thought I'd give the nut a try, knowing that there was a good chance it was pretty loose, and it was. So I got the flange off and I notice what looks like a lot of wear in the splines of the flange. Pinion shaft splines did not look bad, but this was all by phone light as it had already gone dark.

More worringly, with the flange off and the pinion shaft in my hand, I can move the whole pinion shaft freely in and out! This is not good.

What do we reckon, outer pinion bearing spun on the shaft? Am I most likely looking at a new pinion and crown wheel?

I can see that the pinion nut has been restaked at least twice, and as I'm in SE Asia where it's mostly sledge hammer mechanics and cheap Chinese parts, I'm dreading what I'm going to find...

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can dig deeper as I need to keep a rolling chassis. I should have the body off next weekend and can begin to strip down the chassis, steering gear and axles soon after that.

Anyone had a similarly damaged diff?

Thanks

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom