I now own a rusty, high-mileage LC100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, finally qualified to post here because I now own an LC. Any bets on how long it will survive? 310k miles too!! So stoked about fixing it every day. What do you guys think?

5Ty9l9f2qXf.jpg

24xU-o7diBK (1).jpg

Bh90J1kxS8r.jpg

FT-wELgqYa7 (1).jpg

1oJgC_wEsHi (1).jpg

I’ve seen worse. She’ll be just fine. For what it’s worth, the gas tank “skid plate” always rusts in certain climates. They’re garbage.
You are giving me the hope I need! I guess reading other rust posts adds up to the anxiety lol

What rust? I dont even see rust on the torsion bar cross member or TB adjusting bolts. Thats better than mine already.

this is rust....

That rust ain’t bad at all. Fluid film annually and it’ll last for decades...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll research it. Want to get it to 500k and then brag about it for the rest of my life...

What rust? I dont even see rust on the torsion bar cross member or TB adjusting bolts. Thats better than mine already.
Sorry to hear about this. We can organize a new LC100 Rust Edition meetup. I see this forum has a lot of potential members lol.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll research it. Want to get it to 500k and then brag about it for the rest of my life...

Sorry to hear about this. We can organize a new LC100 Rust Edition meetup. I see this forum has a lot of potential members lol.
This mine. Has got lots and lots of life left.

20200528_161839.jpg

@humanvisit2 Congrats !!

If you take good care of it you can still bring your future grandchildren to school in it

Yeah I have seen much worse, and coming from a 60 series, you ain't seen rust yet!
Go over all that surface stuff with a wire brush or wire wheel and then hit with some good rust converter paint. Then like the others have said, fluid film annually and you should be good to go.

Looks like mainly surface rust. Just wire wheel the rusty areas, spray over with Rust Reformer, and then coat in POR15. Problem solved.

The rust looks a little worse than my cruiser I just bought. I'm going to be doing some rust treatments here soon and I'll be posting that when I do. I've been looking around the forums for answer to the best treatment and protection out there. Seems like there are a TON of conflicting opinions and anecdotes about what works best and how screwed you are if one product or the other. I haven't found that defining post that says "X years ago I applied Y and now it looks like this." And lots of owners on here run the other way when they see rust and think its a lost cause.

Anyway, since I probably won't get to that project for a couple weeks, I'll share what I've found so far.

This guy has a southern 2007 LC (barely any rust) in Ohio and treats it with Eastwood products:

This guy has rust and talks about DIY wire brushing. He applies POR-15 after. Seems really messy.

Eastwood Products (Everything but the Inner Frame Coating were shown in the first video)
I like Eastwood because they all come in a aerosol can, come with UV protection, and it seems like they have products that do exactly what I need. Fix the rust I have, stop it from spreading, and then coat it in a nice black paint. Not too messy. I definitely want to get the inner frame coating as well. The Black is sold out right now, but you can get the green. Might hold out and just do the outside for now.
Metal Prep: Low VOC Pre Paint Prep Aerosol 12 oz
Black Inner Frame Coating: Internal Frame Coating Aerosol Black 14oz
Eastwood can hose topper (to get inside the frame with): Aerosol Nozzle w/ 24in Extension Hose
Convert, Encapsulate, Coat with Satin Black: Eastwood Chassis Restoration kit Satin Aerosols

POR-15
People are all over the place with this one. I've heard this stuff has been painted on Navy Subs to this traps moisture and ruins cars. So I don't know what to believe. I'm sure some more seasoned people out here can tell ya. I know a shop here on the East Coast sandblasts the under carriage and coats it with POR-15. Also whats weird is that all accounts of using the POR-15 talks about sandblasting or wirebrushing the rust away. But the name of the product is Paint Over Rust 15. So I'm not sure what thats all about. Seems messy too.

Rust Bullet seems to have positive sentiment on this forum from what I've found.

Rustoleum - Does it work? Don't know. I've read this stuff works just fine as the other guys? Again, all anecdotal.

FluidFilm seems to be the consensus for protecting the rust. Not sure if you're supposed to put it on existing rust though. Again, lots of opinions on this stuff. But this seems like the best product. Non-toxic (i think) Lanolin based product. Seems like you just spray it literally everywhere but exhaust. I would love to get a proper sprayer for this stuff rather than relying on aerosol cans, but for now I have aerosol cans on my list.
FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication - https://www.fluid-film.com
Aersol Fluid Film + extension tubes: https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-E...7CJWV273/ref=pd_sbs_263_3/139-0156752-7290821

Amazon Wire Brushes (there are a ton more, but these seem to get me started. Might need more than just this for the amount of brushing I'm planning on doing)

Face Shield: Sellstrom Face Shield Advantage Series, Full Safety Mask, Unisex, Clear Polycarbonate, Ratchet, Lightweight, S30120: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific - https://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-S30120-Advantage-All-Purpose-Polycarbonate/dp/B01N2ZTB7M/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=grinding+shield&qid=1607024229&sr=8-5

And lastly, some common spots that will probably require a body shop and/or a welder:
  • Driver side frame. I guess there's a hole that forms on the frame on the driverside somewhere. Seems to come from the A/C condensation. Southern trucks will even rust out there.
  • The part behind the rear wheels on mine is rusted out and missing. Very common. I'm sure your Cruiser has the some issue. I'm not sure what to do just yet. Probably just grind off the rust, treat it, and then get a body shop to patch it up. I've seen guys patch it up themselves but I don't have access to a welder anymore.

Good luck with your new 'Cruiser! Seems like you're excited to work on it which is awesome. Congrats.

Last edited:
Por15 sucks. I put it on my frame earlier this spring and I already have parts of it peeling off. Yes I did the whole steps of needle scaler, wire wheel, degrease, and metal prep. Fluid film will wash off. Sure it works if the frame is already protected and painted, but if its rusty, you need to get some paint on it.

Good luck with your new 'Cruiser! Seems like you're excited to work on it which is awesome. Congrats.

This is a pretty comprehensive research. Thanks for sharing. I'm planning to do this project before Christmas but who knows...Maybe in January.

Rust bullet seems to be legit. I use "Fakespot" website to check if the reviews on Amazon are real. Rust bullet seems to only have real reviews.
Por15 sucks. I put it on my frame earlier this spring and I already have parts of it peeling off. Yes I did the whole steps of needle scaler, wire wheel, degrease, and metal prep. Fluid film will wash off. Sure it works if the frame is already protected and painted, but if its rusty, you need to get some paint on it.
Good to know about Por15. Won't use it. I saw a lot of people were saying that it's also messy to work with. Maybe will avoid this for now. Maybe will use Rust bullet and will document the results to see what happens in a year or two.

I ended up going with sandblasting. Then had PPG's Pitt-Tech Plus SG 4216 HP in black sprayed on. Most of my rust was surface and didn't think I could get everywhere with a wire brush. Came out pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom