I need an opinion on FJ Roofrack- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't decide whether I want the roofrack or not , when I pick up my FJ hopefully in a few days. I really like the looks of it - seems to give the FJ much more character, even though I really don't think I would use it all that much. It's an $850.00 option so don't know if I should get it installed or not. After having so many problems with ''leaks & rusting on roofrack mounts on older 80 series Landcruisers, I don't know if these problems would arise on the new FJ or not. What do you guys think?? - Roofrack or No Roofrack?? thanks for your opinions in advance!! - Tim

I would pass on the rack, save your money for a real one down the line.

No roofrack is my vote, although I understand it's a standard feature??

Roof rack is an accessory

It's a US$599 accessory. It's on my vehicle info sheet.

I predict the FJC roof rack will be like the Xterra roof rack; it will become part of the vehicle's identity. Have you seen an Xterra without the roof rack? They look weird without the rack.

From the info given out so far it appears the FJC roof rack will be a capable accessory; unlike the factory racks on the 80 series (dunno about the 100 series rack.) They are aluminum and appear to be attached to the roof very well but it sure would be nice to check one out before committing to the $600 or $850 or whatever they will cost.

I don't think the FJC has drip rails like the 60 and 80 series so typical aftermarket racks like the ARB, African Outback, and Wilderness will need a different mounting style.

-B-

Beowulf said:
I predict the FJC roof rack will be like the Xterra roof rack; it will become part of the vehicle's identity. Have you seen an Xterra without the roof rack? They look weird without the rack.

-B-

very true. i actually saw one today without a rack for the first time. it took a doubletake to realize what looked so odd about it.

Beowulf said:

From the info given out so far it appears the FJC roof rack will be a capable accessory; unlike the factory racks on the 80 series (dunno about the 100 series rack.) They are aluminum and appear to be attached to the roof very well but it sure would be nice to check one out before committing to the $600 or $850 or whatever they will cost.

I don't think the FJC has drip rails like the 60 and 80 series so typical aftermarket racks like the ARB, African Outback, and Wilderness will need a different mounting style.

-B-

You guys are making my decision harder!! - I agree the Xterra does look very odd without it's trademark rack and now that I have seen the FJ in real without it , - it also looks quite plain or naked! I really don't mind paying the extra $$$ for it, however my main concern is how it will be attached and that it will be waterproof. Also I think when you order a ''loaded'' model that you would get at least a passenger side armrest as well! - not having to pay $125.00 for it as an option.

Looks better without it. I think the FJ has more than enough unique styling and there are plenty of other features that will "define" it. I don't think it's identity will be anchored by the roof rack.

If you regret not getting one you can always add it later as there will be plenty of people taking them off in favor of an aftermarket rack.

MoJ said:
Looks better without it. I think the FJ has more than enough unique styling and there are plenty of other features that will "define" it. I don't think it's identity will be anchored by the roof rack.

If you regret not getting one you can always add it later as there will be plenty of people taking them off in favor of an aftermarket rack.

Jason - you make very good points!! perhaps I will just keep my cash and can always decide later down the road whether to get one or not.Thanks for your opinion! - Tim

Once you've outfitted your FJ with a 6" lift and 35s will it fit in the garage with the rack? Ditch it.

:beer:

magnetguy..what were you driving before the new FJ?

Hey tim I saw the rack at the car show...and I think it is not built very well....so dump it !!!!!!

mileage? lockers? ... im thinking about upgrading from my 2door 4-Runner.

What mileage where you getting from the LX??

hill said:
mileage? lockers? ... im thinking about upgrading from my 2door 4-Runner.

What mileage where you getting from the LX??

In town-around 13 on highway 15-17 not bad I guess for a heavy rig as this.
No lockers .Truck runs Great!!! have put nearly $3,000 into p. maintenance this past year. 210,000km on it.

i might have to think about it.... pretty good looking rig... the leather scares me off a little....

i totally want an hdj or an 80 series that later on i can do a diesel conversion on... are you pretty sticky on that price??

hill said:
i might have to think about it.... pretty good looking rig... the leather scares me off a little....

i totally want an hdj or an 80 series that later on i can do a diesel conversion on... are you pretty sticky on that price??

Hi Hill - Don't let the leather scare you off! - it's in great shape and is extremely tough and durable! and ya -I'm firm on the price. I paid $23,000 a yaer ago for it so have drastically reduced my price. Have checked around and I'm below the average price for this unit across Canada. Checked with both Lexus and Toyota dealers and they say this is an excellent price.

yeah for sure...looks like a great truck..... do you prefer the auto vs manual?

hill said:
yeah for sure...looks like a great truck..... do you prefer the auto vs manual?
Hi Hill - ya - I'm ordering an auto. FJ - I prefer having the part time 4WD system over full time as on the 6 speed manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom