I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but my rig is still venting. Gas. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK let’s get the particulars out of the way: I’m a member of three off-road clubs here in southern Nevada and sometimes I go with the other ones too, a lot of mountain trails, so high altitude. Hot as hell during the summertime. Usually when the club stops on the trail either for a Pee break, lunch break, snack break or somebody snaps their axle/ engine problems or gets stuck, I jump out and immediately unscrew the gas cap and relieve the pressure. And this has been happening over the years, it’s nothing new and yes I’ve read many write ups about it on the various 100 boards. So far I’ve replaced the fuel filter, I put heat shielding around the fuel lines where they passed by the cats. It was suggested to me by another club member that the 100 has a breather valve and sometimes they get stuck. Where in the hell is it? I also had another friend suggest that maybe the catalytic converters are clogged, I wouldn’t doubt that since my rig is 26 years old now. I’ve gotten underneath it many of times and there’s no fuel leakage. There’s no fumes in the engine compartment, it’s all towards the rear. 2 years ago I drilled a hole in my fuel cap so it would relieve the pressure. I know this is a very common problem, but nobody seems to have an answer on how to fix it……. So what’s the latest opinions on it?…. see you on the trails.

There was an extensive thread recently about this, in which several members focused on the charcoal cannister as the root cause of this issue. I experienced the same thing on our trip to Moab and Colorado this past summer, two separate 100s, one a 2000 and one a 1999. The higher we went and the hotter it got, the worse the pressure got and one time I went to vent my gas cap and got sprayed...not pleasant. Seemed to happen more in hot weather, never happens down here near sea levels. A couple of knowledgeable mechanics who I trust also mentioned the charcoal cannister as a likely suspect but that thread I mentioned said that some people who had replaced the cannister were still experiencing the same symptoms.

EDIT: the thread is called "100 caught fire"

Last edited:
My brother recently rectified a similar issue on a different vehicle. It was fixed by using compressed air to blow out the vent lines. The theory is that gas travels to the charcoal canister from over filling or pressure, breaks up the charcoal, which settles in the vent lines (between gas tank and charcoal canister), blocking flow. Initially replacing the charcoal canister did not fix his issue, but clearing the lines did.

This may not be the issue, but it's worth trying since it's essentially free.

I have a friend in Nevada with an 06 that solved this by insulating the fuel lines all the way from the tank to the engine bay, as well as putting the reflective insulation on h to he corner of the fuel tank nearest the exhaust. He hasn’t had a problem since.

i have the ask the obvious, but since you didnt mention it ,have you replaced the carbon filter/evap canister and valided all the check valves in the evap system?

My brother recently rectified a similar issue on a different vehicle. It was fixed by using compressed air to blow out the vent lines. The theory is that gas travels to the charcoal canister from over filling or pressure, breaks up the charcoal, which settles in the vent lines (between gas tank and charcoal canister), blocking flow. Initially replacing the charcoal canister did not fix his issue, but clearing the lines did.

This may not be the issue, but it's worth trying since it's essentially free.
I’m gonna try that. Why the hell not.

I think the 80s had breathers and not sure about the 100s? The fuel caps are designed to let air in but not out due to emission regulations but drilling a hole in the cap is one solution as in the past the fuel caps were designed to act as breathers.

No real idea, but was interested enough to check partsouq for a diagram... Is it perhaps this one?!?

1708016643425.png

There was an extensive thread recently about this, in which several members focused on the charcoal cannister as the root cause of this issue. I experienced the same thing on our trip to Moab and Colorado this past summer, two separate 100s, one a 2000 and one a 1999. The higher we went and the hotter it got, the worse the pressure got and one time I went to vent my gas cap and got sprayed...not pleasant. Seemed to happen more in hot weather, never happens down here near sea levels. A couple of knowledgeable mechanics who I trust also mentioned the charcoal cannister as a likely suspect but that thread I mentioned said that some people who had replaced the cannister were still experiencing the same symptoms.

EDIT: the thread is called "100 caught fire"

I had an evap issue on my van, but the symptom was that filling the tank got shut off every few seconds while filling. New canister in and problem was solved. blowing out the lines helped initially, but didn't solve it.
As said: had nothing to do getting splashed when opening the fuel cap...

I've had the same issue on mine and in line with what @Bisho it looks like i've been trapping heat with my skid plates. Since taking the plates off I haven't had boiling, will be insulating the exhaust and gas line as was mentioned above before reinstalling the skids to see if that takes care of it.

I replaced my charcoal canister but that didn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom