i am thinking like dave (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hmmmmmm... let's see... we dont use the 80 for long hauls... its too far to go anywhere in texas and we would use the subaru for that...

maybe its time to see is someone on the board wants to trade a nice 40 for the 80? hmmmmmmmmm...

the primary thinking being, i have to work on the damn thing anyway... and its just s short distance truck to have fun in, why not do it with a 40?

i would be losing A/C (which i still dont have fixed yet) and power steering, comfort on long trips that i dont take and some storage space... i wish i knew someone around here that had a 40 i could borrow for a week or so!

Come back up here and you can take mine for awhile!

Don't think like me, it's bad for your wallet. Luckily I have a VERY tolerant wife. :)

Difference is I'm trading projects for projects. You would be looking at a NICE FJ40 in exchange for your rig, not to mention getting one in Texas means you won't have the rust issues we deal with up here.

Good luck finding one in TX.
I had a Mudder almost coming to CT for my project cause' he said he could'nt find any worth buying in his area.

I sold a 40 to a guy from TX who drove to MA to pick it up. His girlfriend went for the ride cuz she'd never seen snow. She wasn't impressed.

Go for the 40! You can always add on PS and AC.

well the good news is i can sit back and wait for one to come to me because i certainly dont need it and the bad news is, well there is no bad new. i have spent the better part of a year and a half building up and "baselining" the 80 so it is going to be in tip top shape once this A/C is fixed next week.

Come back up here and you can take mine for awhile!

Pete if you trade with Lane your 80 might finally get to see some HC trails:flipoff2:

Pete my Dad has the 650 GS Dakar and loves it he has put 14,000 miles on it in the year and a half he has owned it. you should be able to find a nice 40 down there.
jason

Pete, there are a lot of guys out there wheeling their 80s. I'd just stick with what you have and start having some fun with it. Come up with a way to convert the drawer system so you can use a queen size air mattress in back and go on some over nighters.

When I was down in NC everyone slept in their trucks and basically did this. I have plans to do the same on mine.

Your truck as setup is very capable and you just need to get over worrying about scratching it. I personally would be more worried about the 40 than the 80. After seeing some 40s at the spring meeting I realized that if I had a 40 I couldn't take it off road, I don't know how those guys can do that.

Pete, there are a lot of guys out there wheeling their 80s. I'd just stick with what you have and start having some fun with it. Come up with a way to convert the drawer system so you can use a queen size air mattress in back and go on some over nighters.

When I was down in NC everyone slept in their trucks and basically did this. I have plans to do the same on mine.

Your truck as setup is very capable and you just need to get over worrying about scratching it. I personally would be more worried about the 40 than the 80. After seeing some 40s at the spring meeting I realized that if I had a 40 I couldn't take it off road, I don't know how those guys can do that.

yes yes... my fleeting moment has passed. i rode around all day in the 80 and it will be great once i get the A/C working.

not to mention getting one in Texas means you won't have the rust issues we deal with up here.

Hmmm... not nearly as bad. However there are always sills under the ambulance doors, and such. Still rust in some of the usual places.

Peepers did you actually move to Austin?

I know you were taking some hellified trip to get there.

Hmmm... not nearly as bad. However there are always sills under the ambulance doors, and such. Still rust in some of the usual places.

Peepers did you actually move to Austin?

I know you were taking some hellified trip to get there.

yup. live here... we took a drive down. 2,500 miles. it was great. i should update the trip in the old post. also add up all the gas receipts. that will be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom