HZJ78 - replacing fixed drive flanges with manual free-wheeling hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

First post from an HZJ78 owner in the UK - hopefully I can contribute something to this forum as I learn more about my truck :)

I bought a pair of heavy-duty AVM free wheeling hubs for my HZJ78 in the hope that it would be a straight swap for the fixed drive flanges currently fitted.

Unfortunately, the free wheeling hub doesn't fit the end of the CV joint. The number of splines appears to be correct but they are too tight and will not slide on.

On Euro4x4parts there appears to be two different types of CV joint...one for vehicles with free-wheeling hubs and one for vehicles without.

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...8_4_2d_diesel_1999/4_transmission/P/c_v_joint

Would it just be a matter of swapping the CV joints for the other type? Or is there anything else which would need changing to allow the CV joint to fit?

I'm about to embark on a long overland trip around Asia and Europe so thinking it's probably worth fitting the free-wheeling hubs for the fuel savings / reduction in wear to front drivetrain.

Cheers, Stu

The Aisin and AVM ones are the same fitment, neither will go onto the CV joint.

I've ordered the CV joints so fingers crossed it's just the shaft end which differs between the two types.

A mate of mine did it to his 78 ..

IMG_9979.jpg

It was just the CV joint which needed to be replaced to allow the free wheeling hubs to be fitted (also changed the swivel seals/gaskets). It appears to be just the spline cut on the end of the CV joint which is different.

There is a very noticeable difference now the front wheels aren't attached to the drivetrain in 2WD - super happy I made the upgrade despite the extra cost.

image1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom