HZJ77 JDM import and death wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1hz and 1hdt bottom end is the same. If anything, the 1hdt is slightly stronger due to the bigger con rod little ends. Block and crank are structurally identical.

Swapping the 1hd head onto the 1hz is possible, but also needs 1hd pistons, rods, injectors, injector pump to work.

View attachment 1713049

Assume that tough dog is your suggestion for a steering stabilizer?

When turbo'ing a 1HZ it is best to obviously lower compression by changing out the pistons something I have done turbo'ing an NA but what I have read is bolt the 1HDT head on the 1HZ for best results.

Familiar with this?

There was a company here locally that would rebuild your tired old 1HZ into a 1HDT using new OEM parts for about $10K AUD. Sadly it become it unviable when the AUD dropped off and the parts became too expensive

There was a company here locally that would rebuild your tired old 1HZ into a 1HDT using new OEM parts for about $10K AUD. Sadly it become it unviable when the AUD dropped off and the parts became too expensive

So how come the 1HZ doesn't have a BEB problem?

I think that is what the Aussies were referring to in what I read.

In all fairness, wasn't the BEB thing only an issue on early 1HDTs? I also read somewhere on the Aussie sites Toyota worked it out sometime during the production run of this engine.

So does the 1HZ have oil jets for the pistons? The 1HDT must. This was an issue to deal with when I turbo'ed an NA, luckily when I opened up the NA it had the oil jets, a change made to the NA blocks mid-production.

Cheers

i'm guessing my stabilizer should look more like this? pretty sure it's a 70?

Tough Dog 4WD Suspension | Videos - Tech - the RTC damper video

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 11.33.10 PM.png

So how come the 1HZ doesn't have a BEB problem?

I think that is what the Aussies were referring to in what I read.

There is no conclusive proof as to what caused the BEB in the first place. The only thing we know is that they changed the piston design and it seemed to alleviate most of the problem. The bowl in the piston was reshaped or angled towards the injector spray, I forget which.
There was also evidence that Toyota had discovered cavitation in the oil between the bearing surface and crank . This was possibly related to the piston bowl design. An old injector pump mechanic told me he believed there was some kind of harmonic vibration in the timing gear bringing the denso rotary pumps to an early grave, again possibly related to the piston bowl shape.
People say that the redesigned piston completely solved the problem but there was still the occasional BEB problems with 1HD FT and 1HD FTE. One Aust owner said he had replaced the BEB on his HDJ100 3 times and a Toyota mechanic told him quietly that he wasnt the only one.
And not all 1HDT had a BEB problem. I spoke to a young guy who had been given a HDJ80 by his farmer parents and he said it had never been opened up and had 600000 klms on it.

That would be true about many of them not having the BEB problem. I have seen HDJ80's in Latin America with 300-600,000kms on them and no reports of changing the BEB.

It is just like all things Cruiser people label as "issues". Each model has them, in the 100 here in the states it is the 2000 trans, a 5% or less failure rate. Via forums, gossip and rumors this turns into a "don't buy a 2000, the trans will fail" kind of a thing.

Cheers

So does the 1HZ have oil jets for the pistons?

I think these do the job. Engines Australia sell high volume squirters for the 1HZ

1570828011.jpg

Hi Juan,

This is super helpful, i appreciate it. Seems like people like OME stuff, do you (or does anyone else) have thoughts about their steering stabilizer vs stock? Anyone have experience with these? Tie Rod & Relay Rod End Kit For 70 Series LHD [TE-1982/45040-69075X] - $139.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

Do you have a picture of how the stock (or otherwise) stabilizer should be mounted?

I hear you on the turbo cool down.. i've got a turbo timer on the MR2. Appreciate the heads up though.

thanks
bret

Hello Bret / @bshanna ,

The stock/OEM steering damper is good but it feels a bit hard in my book. The OME stabilizer, P/N SD24, is very good. At least in my neck of the woods, it is a little bit cheaper as well.

Dobinsons is another good choice, if you have a vendor close to your location.

The kit is good but it is intended for left hand drive Land Cruisers. LHD tie rods also work for RHD vehicles. The other parts do not, or so the parts catalog says. Since your Cruiser is RHD, you should use vehicle specific components. Steering is a sensitive system -operationally and safety wise- and as such it is better not to cut corners. Onur / @beno is a good source for parts.

You will also need the mounting bracket, P/N 45721-60061.

This is a picture I took when I changed the steering damper with an OME. Notice that this is a LHD truck. The mounting bracket is on the left side of the image. Regardless of your stabilizer choice, remember that the "wide" end bolts to the bracket.

FZJ73 6.7.17 1.JPG

This is the setup from the parts catalog.

45.05 - Front Steering Links Cropped 1 diag_2pDXwS.jpg

A turbo timer is a good addition. If only all the JDM LJ78s had had one installed from factory... The 1HZ engine is far more sturdier than the 2L-TE, but better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Last edited:
So does the 1HZ have oil jets for the pistons? The 1HDT must. This was an issue to deal with when I turbo'ed an NA, luckily when I opened up the NA it had the oil jets, a change made to the NA blocks mid-production.

Cheers

Hello,

Cylinder oil jets are a design feature on the 1FZ engine as well. Both the factory manual and a SAE paper by Toyota detail their benefits for efficient engine cooling and lubrication.

It appears that Toyota included them in their engines from the early 1990s on.

As for BEBs and related issues, I agree with Ian / @RMP&O . Some users had them and their case stories led to generalizations. Too much generalization can be dangerous. This is not, however, an argument for ignoring the BEB problem. There is no replacement for proper maintenance and caution.

In the end, it is mostly a question of how the engine was treated. Abused motors tend to fail earlier.

Juan

Hello Bret / @bshanna ,

The stock/OEM steering damper is good but it feels a bit hard in my book. The OME stabilizer, P/N SD24, is very good. At least in my neck of the woods, it is a little bit cheaper as well.

Dobinsons is another good choice, if you have a vendor close to your location.

The kit is good but it is intended for left hand drive Land Cruisers. LHD tie rods also work for RHD vehicles. The other parts do not, or so the parts catalog says. Since your Cruiser is RHD, you should use vehicle specific components. Steering is a sensitive system -operationally and safety wise- and as such it is better not to cut corners. Onur / @beno is a good source for parts.

You will also need the mounting bracket, P/N 45721-60061.

This is a picture I took when I changed the steering damper with an OME. Notice that this is a LHD truck. The mounting bracket is on the left side of the image. Regardless of your stabilizer choice, remember that the "wide" end bolts to the bracket.

View attachment 1714211

This is the setup from the parts catalog.

View attachment 1714212

A turbo timer is a good addition. If only all the JDM LJ78s had had one installed from factory... The 1HZ engine is far more sturdier than the 2L-TE, but better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps.

Juan

This is super helpful, very much appreciated. I will either do the OME or look to replace the tough dog with another of the same (but installed correctly) - i like their promo video anyway :)

I'd love to find the old JDM data system hidden turbo timer, try to keep it as OEM looking as possible. I've been looking for one for a while for my MR2, haven't had much luck though :/

I've found this to be great for part numbers, although not always available on the internet it seems TOYOTA LAND CRUISER S/T,H/T HZJ77HV-MEU.

thanks
bret

This is super helpful, very much appreciated. I will either do the OME or look to replace the tough dog with another of the same (but installed correctly) - i like their promo video anyway :)

I'd love to find the old JDM data system hidden turbo timer, try to keep it as OEM looking as possible. I've been looking for one for a while for my MR2, haven't had much luck though :/

I've found this to be great for part numbers, although not always available on the internet it seems TOYOTA LAND CRUISER S/T,H/T HZJ77HV-MEU.

thanks
bret

RTC and U-bolt kit shipping on Monday. Thanks for the order.

Jason

Quick follow up here, i ended up just buying a whole OME kit - my bushings were toast all around and instead of messing with combining parts i just had the kit installed wholesale. But the best news is: no more death wobble!

RTC and U-bolt kit shipping on Monday. Thanks for the order.

Jason

Appreciate the quick service, ended up not installing this time around. I'll keep em around for the next time though!

Quick follow up here, i ended up just buying a whole OME kit - my bushings were toast all around and instead of messing with combining parts i just had the kit installed wholesale. But the best news is: no more death wobble!

Appreciate the quick service, ended up not installing this time around. I'll keep em around for the next time though!
Curious as to whether the new OME kit fixed the problem with the death wobble. I have a pzj77 with a wobble at between 100 and 120 kph (but only some of the time) and having some trouble tracking the source down.

Curious as to whether the new OME kit fixed the problem with the death wobble. I have a pzj77 with a wobble at between 100 and 120 kph (but only some of the time) and having some trouble tracking the source down.

For me pretty sure it was just worn bushings. i neglected to grab a pic of the old ones but they looked oval-esque and were worn more on one side than the other as well. Unfortunately i ran out of patience though and replaced it all whole hog. Couldn't tell you exactly what the problem was for sure... I can say i didn't change the wheels or tires though (or even have them rebalanced).

For me pretty sure it was just worn bushings. i neglected to grab a pic of the old ones but they looked oval-esque and were worn more on one side than the other as well. Unfortunately i ran out of patience though and replaced it all whole hog. Couldn't tell you exactly what the problem was for sure... I can say i didn't change the wheels or tires though (or even have them rebalanced).
Good to hear you got it ironed out. I'm narrowing it down to a worn pinon bearing on the rear diff (well, that's just where I'm at). The process of elimination...

and having some trouble tracking the source down.

When I had a death wobble on my 73 series , I took it to the local Dobinsons dealer. He thought it was probably a castor problem. They altered the castor settings to make the wobble worse. Then they adjusted the castor back till the wobble stopped and it never came back.
My wobble was at 40 to 80klms. A small trailer with a 1HZ and H55F made it so bad I thought I was going to lose it on a freeway bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom